Mercedes X-Class at NAMPO

Default Mercedes X-Class at NAMPO

Probably the best thing that happened to the X-Class exhibition at NAMPO, was the sales and marketing team they sent to introduce and unveil it to the visiting farmers and us "orinary" folks.
    Never before have I seen a few guys take so much stick and criticism with a smile and polite replies as those guys did in the 40 mins I spent at the stand.

Yes, I sat in them. checked out all the goodies, knobs, radio, steering, seats, dash......and then looked under the bakkie....and eventually under the bonnet.
    And, I did not like it!
    I immediately got the feeling that this is NOT what I want to take on a dirt road or into the bush. If I were a farmer, this is not what I want to cart the odd lamb, bale of hay, a spade or shovel or go fetch some supplies at the local KO-OP, (although one of the demo's was loaded with farm stuff to give you a "plaasbakkie" impression).
    The first thing that came to me when I looked at the dash and all the operational goodies was, " how the hell would they cope with dust, oily or dirty hands....and let alone one of the kids spills his chocolate milk onto any of the controls. They just look...dainty! Don't get me wrong, I have always loved Mercedes. Actually, I have pledged to still drive a Mercedes before I croak. But I don't think it will be this one. With Mercedes having the absolutely BRILLIANT G-class in its stable, I personally feel that this X-Class might become a bit of an embarrassment.

And yes, it is damnwell just about a Navara. There are not very many changes other than interior and a few body panels here and there. Even the ignition keys are alike.
    The expert and brilliant sales and marketing team explained that Mercedes had taken the Nissan engine and made changes to it to suit Mercedes standards. Well, those changes must be hidden very very deep inside the engine. There where I cannot see them as besides a large plastic cover onto of the motor, it screams Navara and even sounds like one.
    There was a "dressed" 4x4 model. Canopy and a few off-road goodies fitted. Also one with a full size bakkie bin-lid. Rather snazzy as it was made by Mercedes for the X-Class. It just does not look right!!

And, unfortunately it was not just me that had this feeling about the X. I stood a few steps away and listened to the comments made by the large men dressed in Khaki and shorts, the farmers, the guys who possibly could fork out the rather large asking price. Unfortunately, they were not too impressed either. Many not even wanting to sit behind the steering wheel even though they were invited in a very charming manner.
    A "plaasbakkie" NO...maybe, just maybe a double cab for the wife. To fetch the kids at the boarding school on a Friday. Most definitely it will be seen in Menlyn Mall or parked in dedicated parking lots of large companies. It will be seen at shopping centres, and parked in front of snazzy restaurants you only see and hear about on the food channel.
    " Die mense sal dink ek is n windgat en vol geld. Hulle sal maak dat ek dubble betaal vir vee op die veiling net omdat ek so n ding ry", was a comment from a bearded farmer.

But not all is doom and gloom.
    I did hear a whisper from an informed source that Mercedes were already designing a real and genuine Mercedes bakkie to follow this one in future. A 2nd generation as such.With its own engine, gearbox and drivetrain. However, I think the chassis and body will still be outsourced as per the long-term agreement with Nissan.
    For now though, I am watching sales figures.

I think those salesman at the X stand are currently on a short and well deserved leave to recuperate from all the battering they received.

Lets wait and see.
    '13 Toyota Hilux 4x4 XCab

Default Re: Mercedes X-Class at NAMPO

Well, I think you explained pretty well what it is and what it isn’t.

I don’t see the problem, nobody has or will think differently.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

And yet farmers have been driving their Mercs to town on the same dirt roads every Sunday for many a year without them falling apart.....
    Let's go Camping

Quote Originally Posted by Chukudeer View Post
    And yet farmers have been driving their Mercs to town on the same dirt roads every Sunday for many a year without them falling apart.....
    Who said anything about them falling apart?

OK, I deleted it before Dirk deleted me....
    Last edited by Metalmachine; 2018/05/22 at 02:18 PM.

Envy is “an unpleasant, often painful emotion characterized by feelings of inferiority, hostility, and resentment produced by an awareness of another person or group of persons who enjoy a desired possession, position, attribute, or quality of being,” according to the 2007 paper by Richard Smith and Sung Hee Kim, “Comprehending Envy,” published in Psychological Bulletin.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by Metalmachine View Post
    Who said anything about them falling apart?

OK, I deleted it before Dirk deleted me....
    You did call them....."They just look...dainty!"
    Let's go Camping

You did call them....."They just look...dainty!"

I used "Dainty" instead of "feminine".......

I think I did rather well with that one

Having farmed in the Free State in the wealthy maize area, the big bosses, ie those that manage and market drive some sort of car, most popular was the Disco 3 and 4. I don't think they will switch to the MB bakkie, nor will I, the first time I have to pull windmill pipes will be its baptism of fire. Oil, rust, water and grease all over that steering wheel.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

But then one could spend R850k + on a "real" double cab bakkie.......interior design out of the 80's, vinyl seats, bare metal and some hard plastic finishes, only option is a "radio tape" exterior design unchanged for the past 100 years, front and rear tyres not running in the same track, suspension harder than rock with suspect leavesprings. No traction control or ABS, airbags? Single skin load bin that won't take a standard pallet. Slow, noisy and heavy on fuel....... What would mommy prefer......
    Let's go Camping

But then one could spend R850k + on a "real" double cab bakkie.......interior design out of the 80's, vinyl seats, bare metal and some hard plastic finishes, only option is a "radio tape" exterior design unchanged for the past 100 years, front and rear tyres not running in the same track, suspension harder than rock with suspect leavesprings. No traction control or ABS, airbags? Single skin load bin that won't take a standard pallet. Slow, noisy and heavy on fuel....... What would mommy prefer......
    Does not matter what she prefers. She will be driving a real bakkie

I did hear a whisper from an informed source that Mercedes were already designing a real and genuine Mercedes bakkie to follow this one in future. A 2nd generation as such.With its own engine, gearbox and drivetrain. However, I think the chassis and body will still be outsourced as per the long-term agreement with Nissan.
    Maybe the same as they did with the ML? The second generation completely redesigned. Time will tell...
    Dirk Lombard
    Mercedes-Benz GL350cdi
    Mercedes-Benz Viano 3.0cdi

But not all is doom and gloom.
    For now though, I am watching sales figures.

I think those salesman at the X stand are currently on a short and well deserved leave to recuperate from all the battering they received.

Lets wait and see.
    Will make a lot of sense bit this begs the question why bother with this type of attempt in the first place? Did they feel they need to be in the market perhaps asap and then improve and expand offering.

Needless to say still think they more focussed at lower volumes at high margins.

Check this out: Looks like a beast:

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Will make a lot of sense bit this begs the question why bother with this type of attempt in the first place? Did they feel they need to be in the market perhaps asap and then improve and expand offering.

Needless to say still think they more focussed at lower volumes at high margins.
    What boggles my mind is that they already have a proven ladder chassis (G-class)...why not just use that or a modified version of it instead of copying Nissan? At least then they could've offered a pure MB product and not a glorified Navara. New G-class has independent suspension up front as well

Simply put, they offer the X class as there is a market for those vehicles, not aimed at farm use or for the building contractor but at the yuppie that commutes between JHB and Pretoria every day but would like to take his expensive mountain bike out over week-ends in stile.

They will sell limited number but with huge margins....why not?
    Let's go Camping

Been at the WHK tourism show yesterday and had a look at the X.
    1) I did not like the interior. The dash looks like a starwars moonrover. The navigation panel behind these protruding airvents.
    2) I would not take that thing on a bushcruise. Every stone, scratch, or muddy objects would make my face look like the dash (Eyes popping out due to immense pain).
    This car will have its followers for sure, most probably stacked with boomboxes and dark windows in the city.
    2002 Discovery td5

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Check this out: Looks like a beast:

That is nice!

But...do they do a DC? I have only seen it in the Army spec, not commercial.

Cheers