Zambia Customs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zambia Customs

Default Zambia Customs

Good day,

I was wondering who can help me regarding what I am allowed to bring across the border. Example meat alcohol etc.
    I am going across next week from Botswana through the Kazungula Ferry border post.

It is easy to find what is allowed and not allowed for other countries. But I am battling to find anything on the web regarding Zambia.

Thanks in advance

Vian.

Default Re: Zambia Customs

Over the 19/20 years of living and working North of the Zambezi, I have never had an issue with meat, veggies and or the stronger stuff.
    Just pack carefully and keep the strong stuff out of sight.
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2018/05/21 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vian Kotze View Post
    Good day,

I was wondering who can help me regarding what I am allowed to bring across the border. Example meat alcohol etc.
    I am going across next week from Botswana through the Kazungula Ferry border post.

It is easy to find what is allowed and not allowed for other countries. But I am battling to find anything on the web regarding Zambia.

Thanks in advance

Vian.
    We will surely bring a lot of meat and full tanks of fuel from Botswana. What anything is cheaper or better in Botswana? Beer, wine...? We will cross on Wednesday 30th by ferry.
    Last edited by schwott; 2018/05/22 at 12:30 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by schwott View Post
    We will surely bring a lot of meat and full tanks of fuel from Botswana. What anything is cheaper or better in Botswana? Beer, wine...? We will cross on Wednesday 30th by ferry.
    Almost everything is more expensive, maybe with the exception of fresh produce bought from markets or roadside.
    Andrew

Land Cruiser 76 (4.2)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AMacAfrica For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post
    Over the 19/20 years of living and working North of the Zambezi, I have never had an issue with meat, veggies and or the stronger stuff.
    Just pack carefully and keep the strong stuff out of sight.

What he said.....we have just returned, and had no issues..........the ferry was an experience with the strong
    river flow rate.......so was the Zambian side immigration.....not the fun kind
    IF I HAVE TO WORK, I AM NOT DOING MY JOB

2010 DISCO 4 TDV6 SE - Swambo
    2012 Q7 - Me
    Land Cruizer ( INKUNZI )

Quote Originally Posted by FransBR View Post
    .....so was the Zambian side immigration.....not the fun kind
    Did an Interpol officer ask for Stolen Vehicle Clearance Slip? I am doing my best to prepare for this horrifying experience. So far I always crossed through the sleepy or pleasure borders (Dobe, Mphoengs, Pandamantenga, Kazungula/Kasane, Ngoma Bridge, Martins Drift)

Quote Originally Posted by schwott View Post
    Did an Interpol officer ask for Stolen Vehicle Clearance Slip? I am doing my best to prepare for this horrifying experience. So far I always crossed through the sleepy or pleasure borders (Dobe, Mphoengs, Pandamantenga, Kazungula/Kasane, Ngoma Bridge, Martins Drift)
    The Interpol official at Kazungula did not ask for that document, only looked at the Registration papers....the officials at Chirundu were
    the difficult ones. I suspect that they will start asking for that document soon....I will not travel without it again at all....saves a lot of hassle. We
    were also questioned on the "Certification" of copied registration papers.......It probably was a ploy, but they kept on asking for the ORIGINAL...so in future we are taking all of the above.

Just on another note....as to the advice to not use the "runners", I respectfully disagree...we had no chance on the Zambian side to complete the procedures without a runner ( Pula 100 )...it was just too random where to find the correct officials to stamp documents...but that is just me.
    IF I HAVE TO WORK, I AM NOT DOING MY JOB

2010 DISCO 4 TDV6 SE - Swambo
    2012 Q7 - Me
    Land Cruizer ( INKUNZI )

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FransBR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FransBR View Post

Just on another note....as to the advice to not use the "runners", I respectfully disagree...we had no chance on the Zambian side to complete the procedures without a runner ( Pula 100 )...it was just too random where to find the correct officials to stamp documents...but that is just me.
    I must agree with you Frans, we also got ourselves stuck with a runner and he did help us to find the correct counters in the correct order. Just be careful when buying the 3rd party insurance. Shop around a bit, don't just buy from the vendor your runner takes you to. We got slightly ripped with this.

As for what can be taken across: we took everything from Botswana, meat, veg, jerrycans full of fuel and drinks. Nowhere was our vehicle searched.

Kazangula is haphazard, but it is an experience I am so glad we had. Just be patient, it is going to take as long as it is going to take. From what I have read 1 hour 30 - 40 mins is about average for the Zambian side.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Ja, the Zambian side at Kasane/Kazangula is the one place I will gladly pay for a runner. The hundred bucks or so is money well spent in my opinion.

We have never in the past had our goods checked in any way when crossing between Botswana/Namibia and Zambia.

On the Zambian side of the Kazangula Ferry border is also one of the few occasions we found a runner to be worth the trouble. Single one out from the bunch, based on who you find most appealing, insist that he banishes all his mates. Negotiate his fee beforehand, it need not be too high at all. We inevitably have some currency to change and allow him a 10-20% commission on this which is part of his remuneration. I agree, be careful of the Third Party Insurance fee, shop around. I suspect the runner gets a commission for this.

This un-signposted border at Kazangula can be very confusing on the Zambian side and having a guide reduces the stress levels considerably and will greatly shorten your time spent in these somewhat unpleasant surroundings.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Stan, I agree and I suspect they keep it un-signposted for this very reason.

If it was at all possible I would avoid this crossing like the plague - my wife especially hates it, but it is still a cool experience to use the ferry. Very few of them left and supposedly Kazangula is also supposed to get a bridge soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JohanRoux View Post
    Very few of them left and supposedly Kazangula is also supposed to get a bridge soon.
    The bridge is under construction and quite advanced. I agree that it is well worth using a runner at Kazungula.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2018/05/23 at 12:09 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    The bridge is under construction and quite advanced. I agree that it is well worth using a runner at Kazungula.
    Thanks for the update Tony, I last used the ferry in 2013 and if I recall correctly the bridge was supposed to be finished around now - now being 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by JohanRoux View Post
    Thanks for the update Tony, I last used the ferry in 2013 and if I recall correctly the bridge was supposed to be finished around now - now being 2018?
    Yes, but there have been a number of delays - I was up there end of March and it looked (from a distance) as though it was probably about half finished.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Ja, it will make Zambia a lot more accessible for inexperienced overlanders. And if/when Zim sorts out their issues it will make it even easier.

We often did Pretoria to Harare in a day, way back in an old 2.2l diesel Hilux so we definitely were not driving quickly. So Lusaka is an easy 1.5 day's drive from Gauteng if the borders and roads are in good shape. Actually, Google tells me it's 1520kms from Pretoria to Lusaka - roughly the same as to Cape Town.

I'm going to Zambia (below Chirundu) for some Tiger fishing at the end of September. My initial plan was - as always - to go through Botswana and then via Kazangula, but with all the reports of the improving situation in Zim... I'm now spending 2 nights in Hwange, 1 in Chizarira, 2 in Matusadona (Tashinga) and another in or around Kariba town. And I can't frikking wait - haven't been in Zim (Excluding Vic Falls) in more than 20 years. Even the names of these places have a magical sound..

Hopefully, the way back will be a quick trip down the east of Zim, including Nyanga, Chimanimani (another magical name) and so on. Zim's potential as a holiday destination is IMMENSE. And Zambia perhaps even more.

There's also talk about a proper "shared" type of Customs system for the SADC countries which will improve things even further.

We were very worried about this border.
    We had a very good list , written on this forum where to go and what to do.
    We arrived and thought we had to wait ... we could go on the very right away... we did not expect this, so in 2 minutes we were on the ferry.
    Everything trom the post was correct did not use a runner
    From Bots to the road in Zim in totall 1,5 hour, I think good timings
    No search of the car etc.
    ( This was oct 2017 )

I found it a good border
    So you can see every time, every season and every year, maybe every week can be different.
    Read up about the busy times at the border and try to avoid these timings.

We went back the same way, cost us less then an hour

20. The Following User Says Thank You to sylvia000 For This Useful Post:

We did trip to zambia 2008. 6 cars. From Kasane 2 cars opted for the ferry and rest of us went via Chode, ngoma, katimo then Livingstone

Namibia borders no problems. Zambia and the unposted border post was bit more. Only sign was guy with vest and slip slops and AK47 on corner.

Carbon tax and 3rd party to pay there was also another fee but can't remember 100%

Anyway long story short the ferry guys spent many hours there while we drove all the way around and they arrived in Livingstone not long before us
    Riku
    2011 Echo4 with Blinkgat Nose cone and

FYI just did quote for a new border post at Kazungula. Hope it gets the go ahead.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

In this thread were all the steps we folllowed and it makes it an easy crossing;http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...-border-advice

24. The Following User Says Thank You to sylvia000 For This Useful Post:

Travelling from Zim to Zambia via Chirundu border post in August.
    Anyone with info on what to do (which buildings) and costs for each process.

1. Immigration
    2. TIP
    3. Toll Certificate
    4. Carbon Tax
    5. Community levy

Will probably buy insurance on internet before leaving SA.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast