one for the lawayers/procurement managers

Default one for the lawayers/procurement managers

hi All. are private or public companies by affected by any laws regarding tenders.

so there are clear laws around government and municipal tenders. do private and listed companies fall under same laws?

thank you
    2011 Amarok TDI D/Cab 4x2
    2001 Isuzu KB 320 V6 D/Cab 4x2

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert in the subject posted about above, i'm a member of an internet forum only and my comments, advise, suggestions and ideas should be taken from that point of view

Default Re: one for the lawayers/procurement managers

Disclaimer. Not my cup of tea this.

No. Not necessary. (Check the companies own constitution for tender procedures) However, in order for you to get/maintain a BBBEE rating you need to conform to certain things which can include using suppliers with good BBBEE rating.
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST"

I go with New. Add to that: I have helped to prepare very many tenders. The first thing is to read the inquiry. Larger inquiries have a ton of papers. On my side the two thickest tend to be commercial conditions and painting.

Because of money being so tight more and more companies are turning to inquiry and subsequently contact text. Small deviation and they do not pay.

I try to get my customers to read the papers, often I give long list of warnings where they will loose their pants and will they consider either - no.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Ok lets say company x issues a request for tender. Its a privately held company. I go through the tender process and submit a thorough proposal. I incur costs in the process

I never hear from them again. Months later i find they have deployed a solution from a different supplier which does not adhere to the tender requirements. A number of minimum requirements are not adhered to by this solution.

So basically the tender was a farce.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert in the subject posted about above, i'm a member of an internet forum only and my comments, advise, suggestions and ideas should be taken from that point of view

one for the lawayers/procurement managers
    Sorry, I just cannot resist :

lawyers .. = .. lawayers .. = .. lawaaiers .. ??
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

My beste kennis is diť oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150.
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

Quote Originally Posted by LeonP View Post
    Ok lets say company x issues a request for tender. Its a privately held company. I go through the tender process and submit a thorough proposal. I incur costs in the process

I never hear from them again. Months later i find they have deployed a solution from a different supplier which does not adhere to the tender requirements. A number of minimum requirements are not adhered to by this solution.

So basically the tender was a farce.
    Not necessary a farce. Can be price, incompetence, bribery...

This happens all the time. Couple weeks back I did quite a few designs for my customer. The inquiry requirements are technically wrong. I design to the requirements and tell customer to talk to the plant owner/consultant. Give even name and number to contact. No. Only discuss price. Competitors are much cheaper, they don't have a glue what the plant requires...

Often the decisions are made by people who have no competency on the field in question.

The problem is that when you tender and you do not comply with the requirements, you get the contract, you supply and then somebody wakes up. Products are rejected (except if you are Gupta) and depending on the size of the company it can go bust. Seen this happening.

Anything I sign is to the spec excluding mistakes, which everybody makes. For those I have insurance.

Only recall is if there is corruption or similar that can be proven. Mines used to have telephone numbers for this purpose. Getting legals involved cost too much money for ordinary person/company.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Lol sorry. Dutchman english
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaitshi Gubib View Post
    Sorry, I just cannot resist :

lawyers .. = .. lawayers .. = .. lawaaiers .. ??

Halwe begryper, hier is jou goeie woord ..

Leon, "lawaaiers" = "noise makers"
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

My beste kennis is diť oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150.
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

Quote Originally Posted by Gaitshi Gubib View Post
    Halwe begryper, hier is jou goeie woord ..

Leon, "lawaaiers" = "noise makers"
    Nee ek verstaan dit so, tong in die kies. Ekt bedoel my spelling was dutchman english spelling....

I can like to spell prokerowers
    Last edited by LeonP; 2018/05/18 at 08:46 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LeonP For This Useful Post:

No. Not by law, but by good business practice ....

Very specific guidelines for Local, Provincial and National government tenders.

"companies" is a VERY wide term !!!

The large corporates can be worse than government in terms of tender processes ... Down to the classic 2nd generation family business that insist on using specific companies in their projects.

The process may vary from a very official tender document, down to getting 2 or 3 quotes ....

99% of the time we still use our basic tender documents, or at the very least the core format and layout, even when the client just wants "quotes" ..... when the time comes to resolve final payments you better have all those steps in place to ensure everybody KNOWS where the money went ...

The short answer to your question - the directors or board decide the process that must be followed. Standard tender processes provides the best protection to the board ....