Fishing...and my "Other Woman" - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Fishing...and my "Other Woman"

Yoh nice thread and fish! There is a clip on youtube of a guy in KZN who gets taxed but the shark overshoots and rams into his kayak knocking him off. He got back on very fast. Will try and find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Worst nightmare would be if the shark bumped your kayak hard enough to knock you into the water, then the mad scrabble to climb back on whilst the taxman did circles around you...
    I had this with a tiger. It was a very glassy sea and I was kneeling on my ski to stretch my back as I have back problems. We launched in a mist and it burnt off and I heard a splash behind me.
    I thought it might be a sailfish and got excited but as I turned around to look I saw a massive head causing a wake in front of it. I paddled as fast as possible and he came right next to me on the left hand side and actually eye balled me.

I klapped it on the head and paddled like mad. That shark turned on a tikkie and in a second it was on the right hand side of me.You cant see in the water if there is a glare. I didnt need to. He was eyeballing me again with a mouth open. I just remember how wide and flat his face was. I klapped him again and paddled for my life.While I was paddling I tried to sit on my ski. Remember I was kneeling. I nearly toppled over in my haste.

There were two divers in front of me and I am ashamed to say I paddled as hard as possible towards them.Although one of the divers was one of my plumbing opposition.I told them about it and they just didnt bother and continued diving. They never saw it.
    I was actually traumatized and realized I am not so brave.You have a false sence of security on a ski and if that shark wants to pluck you off its very easy for them to do it.
    I have been hit by a shark on a small duck before while I was busy taking out the hooks from a couta that had been taxed. It hit the skid plate of the motor and left marks. My friend nearly fell out.

His small couta landed up in the duck without us realizing that we never gaffed it. We just stared at each other in disbelief before we decided it was best to move off.The shark wasnt interested in us.It was following the couta.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:

Taxed we will be...

It happens but will rather pay this than a hole in the Kayak..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I had this with a tiger. It was a very glassy sea and I was kneeling on my ski to stretch my back as I have back problems. We launched in a mist and it burnt off and I heard a splash behind me.
    I thought it might be a sailfish and got excited but as I turned around to look I saw a massive head causing a wake in front of it. I paddled as fast as possible and he came right next to me on the left hand side and actually eye balled me.

I klapped it on the head and paddled like mad. That shark turned on a tikkie and in a second it was on the right hand side of me.You cant see in the water if there is a glare. I didnt need to. He was eyeballing me again with a mouth open. I just remember how wide and flat his face was. I klapped him again and paddled for my life.While I was paddling I tried to sit on my ski. Remember I was kneeling. I nearly toppled over in my haste.

There were two divers in front of me and I am ashamed to say I paddled as hard as possible towards them.Although one of the divers was one of my plumbing opposition.I told them about it and they just didnt bother and continued diving. They never saw it.
    I was actually traumatized and realized I am not so brave.You have a false sence of security on a ski and if that shark wants to pluck you off its very easy for them to do it.
    I have been hit by a shark on a small duck before while I was busy taking out the hooks from a couta that had been taxed. It hit the skid plate of the motor and left marks. My friend nearly fell out.

His small couta landed up in the duck without us realizing that we never gaffed it. We just stared at each other in disbelief before we decided it was best to move off.The shark wasnt interested in us.It was following the couta.

Very lucky i guess....
    Sakkie van Staden
    Silver de Lange...NOW powered by a 4L VVTI V8 Defy motor
    Forum Rebuild thread
    Present
    2003 LUX Jeep powered by a defy motor
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD Diesel power....

Past
    Jeep 3.1 Wj..AKA Turbo Esel (RIP)

Man made it....Man Fix it.....

I'm going to use all my tools, my God-given ability, and make the best life I can with it.
    LeBron James

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing1 View Post

Do you know this person

Sakkie van Staden
    Forum Rebuild thread
    Present

Past

I'm going to use all my tools, my God-given ability, and make the best life I can with it.
    LeBron James

Nee ken hom nie net op youtube gesien benoude boude!

Yes, that was at Ballito last year.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Nice wheres Munster? Has to be Kzn.
    Just North of Pord Edward, 12km I think.
    South of Southbroom

My mon and dad lives there, very small place. You might know it is Glenmore Beach.
    Last edited by Chris8d; 2018/05/29 at 03:05 PM.

Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Just North of Pord Edward, 12km I think.
    South of Southbroom

My mon and dad lives there, very small place. You might know it is Glenmore Beach.
    So everything not secured, ie fishing rods, are lost during roll-over?
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

Not wise to do that you need to use rod leashes and a paddle leash at least well I do. The stuff in closed hatches are fine if you flip. When you launch or beach in heavy surf you can store your rods in the hatch so they dont break if you go flying.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fishing1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing1 View Post
    Not wise to do that you need to use rod leashes and a paddle leash at least well I do. The stuff in closed hatches are fine if you flip. When you launch or beach in heavy surf you can store your rods in the hatch so they dont break if you go flying.
    Three rods with reels and line can cost almost as much as a new carbon kayak nowadays!

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie7 View Post
    There is a big group of Kayak anglers in the Mosselbay areas.
    The sharks are not that bad...Just dont fall off

Here in Plettenberg Bay we have had 3 incidents in the last 2 years
    of surf-skis being hit by "Tanneman" (great white) - fortunately no injuries or fatalities so far, but......
    Last edited by royboy; 2018/05/29 at 06:01 PM.
    Range Rover Sport HSE
    Mercedes Benz C200 (SWAMBO)

I try to be the person my dogs think I am....

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    I would so love to do this, but staying in Gauteng... just not feasible considering we get to the coast once a year only and then for a week or two. Not worth it.
    Where about do you go on holiday Rustie?
    I have a spare ski and will take you out if you are keen. Really is something to experience.

Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    So everything not secured, ie fishing rods, are lost during roll-over?
    Yes...That is why the rods must always be on a leash as well as your paddle.
    Only when you launch and beach is my paddle not on a leash. Then everything is stored in the hatch.

It can become very expensive very quickly if you flip your ski and you dont have your equipment tethered....
    Sakkie van Staden
    Forum Rebuild thread
    Present

Past

LeBron James

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sakkie7 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie7 View Post
    Yes...That is why the rods must always be on a leash as well as your paddle.
    Only when you launch and beach is my paddle not on a leash. Then everything is stored in the hatch.

It can become very expensive very quickly if you flip your ski and you dont have your equipment tethered....
    Yes, and you are very thankful once you are back on your ski and see your 4 rods dangling on the leashes...

And the 19.6 KG couta which you tried to gaff green and pulled you over like rocket is still on and the gaff in its back..

It was well on and open hatch but was able to close it below the water line before turning the yak upside...The air pocket prevented the hatch to fill to much

Well after that incident I open my hatch on 99 ..and never try to gaff a not fought out "green" fish (Became taxed a bit more)
    Last edited by LRTDV6; 2018/05/30 at 10:07 AM.

[QUOTE=Sakkie7;3906329]Yes...That is why the rods must always be on a leash as well as your paddle.
    Last edited by LRTDV6; 2018/05/30 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Double post

Quote Originally Posted by LRTDV6 View Post
    Yes, and you are very thankful once you are back on your ski and see your 4 rods dangling on the leashes...

And the 19.6 KG couta which you tried to gaff green and pulled you over like rocket is still on and the gaff in its back..

It was well on and open hatch but was able to close it below the water line before turning the yak upside...The air pocket prevented the hatch to fill to much

Well after that incident I open my hatch on 99 ..and never try to gaff a not fought out "green" fish (Became taxed a bit more)
    A green fish is very dangerous on a Kayak...Lots of trebble hooks being swung around by a angry fish, just waiting to get you in the hand or leg.
    Sakkie van Staden
    Forum Rebuild thread
    Present

Past

LeBron James

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakkie7 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Where about do you go on holiday Rustie?
    I have a spare ski and will take you out if you are keen. Really is something to experience.
    wow what an offer!
    we are generally speaking more in the cape - Harties, Jeffries, Knysna or Cape Town - - or then Namibia.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5