Internet Speed :contention ratio - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Internet Speed :contention ratio

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    I get similar trend. I have 20/20 line so on some tests I do get 20 mbps down

I would say that at present 50/50 line is max that is worth to take if the connection is used for international data. I do not game so 20/20 works for me. For software and similar downloads I can wait few seconds extra. Two streams at the same time work fine.

Maybe one day we get faster lines. But is it necessary for an average user?

Latency is much more important than line speed, especially for gaming.
    2013 Tata Xenon 3.0 Dicor D/C
    2006 Honda Civic EXi FN2

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Latency is much more important than line speed, especially for gaming.
    Low latency will not help you if your speed is too low. But it is important for gaming. It does not really matter for normal business tools, like emailing and banking

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    Low latency will not help you if your speed is too low. But it is important for gaming. It does not really matter for normal business tools, like emailing and banking
    The problem with a best effort service is that with a poor speed / bad link, you land up doing repeated resends of packets. A high latency leaves you spending most of your time waiting for acknowledgements. Resends chew bandwidth and data.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

For fun of it I tested some servers for latency. There is a big difference whose server it is. For instance Amazon is slow even in UK. Connections to UK in general seem to be fast compared to many other locations. I get fasebook.com and facebook.com 2 to 4 ms. Traffic may be directed to local server . Google co.uk and co.za are also only couple ms. za is slower.

To test you need to use different test methods, times, end servers... Only then you get some idea of the true average performance. For a gamer I would think the only way test is to play. Speed/latency to a different server in the same town can be substantially up or down.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    The problem with a best effort service is that with a poor speed / bad link, you land up doing repeated resends of packets. A high latency leaves you spending most of your time waiting for acknowledgements. Resends chew bandwidth and data.
    Slightly higher latency (for instance difference between 150ms and 300ms international link) is not the same as dropped packets
    The first one does not require constant re sending of information
    The response time is just slower which is why it has a negative effect on things like online gaming

Since you the person have to respond to something someone else did and if you now need to include the time it took for you to see what was done then your response is slower.

Reverse applies as well you can have a incredibly quick low latency connection that has issues which causes dropped packets
    While giving good latency when you do get a response.
    This one causes lots of issues for everything

Now do not get me wrong if the connection is utilized to maximum capacity then your latency will generally increase
    and it will also increase the chances of lost packets

Because in those terms it kind of works like a traffic jam on the road
    Everything being sent through now have to wait its turn and sometimes there is a crash stopping some of the cars from arriving
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2018/05/18 at 08:17 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    For fun of it I tested some servers for latency. There is a big difference whose server it is. For instance Amazon is slow even in UK. Connections to UK in general seem to be fast compared to many other locations. I get fasebook.com and facebook.com 2 to 4 ms. Traffic may be directed to local server . Google co.uk and co.za are also only couple ms. za is slower.

To test you need to use different test methods, times, end servers... Only then you get some idea of the true average performance. For a gamer I would think the only way test is to play. Speed/latency to a different server in the same town can be substantially up or down.

The ISP makes such a huge difference.

On OOKLA I get an average of 7ms with as low as 5ms with my Afrihost account and never get below 11ms with my Telkom account on the same line.

Sounds like nothing but makes a significant difference when playing OW.
    2013 Tata Xenon 3.0 Dicor D/C
    2006 Honda Civic EXi FN2

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    Slightly higher latency (for instance difference between 150ms and 300ms international link) is not the same as dropped packets
    The first one does not require constant re sending of information
    The response time is just slower which is why it has a negative effect on things like online gaming

Since you the person have to respond to something someone else did and if you now need to include the time it took for you to see what was done then your response is slower.

Reverse applies as well you can have a incredibly quick low latency connection that has issues which causes dropped packets
    While giving good latency when you do get a response.

Now do not get me wrong if the connection is utilized to maximum capacity then your latency will generally increase
    and it will also increase the chances of lost packets

Because in those terms is kind of works like a traffic jam on the road
    everything being sent through now have to wait its turn
    I didnít say latency was the same as lost packets. They are not even related.

The problem with latency is the time it takes to manage recovering lost packets. In a high lost packet scenario, latency can kill you because of the two way handshaking.

Low latency will manage the business of getting your packets thru much much more efficiently, irrespective of how fast the packets themselves travel.

Itís like trying to recite a poem to somebody who is hard of hearing who continually interrupts you, thinks about it for thirty seconds, and then asks you to repeat the last.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

I didn’t say latency was the same as lost packets. They are not even related.

The problem with latency is the time it takes to manage recovering lost packets. In a high lost packet scenario, latency can kill you because of the two way handshaking.

Low latency will manage the business of getting your packets thru much much more efficiently, irrespective of how fast the packets themselves travel.

It’s like trying to recite a poem to somebody who is hard of hearing who continually interrupts you, thinks about it for thirty seconds, and then asks you to repeat the last.
    Latency is a measurement of how long it takes your packet of data to be transferred from the sender and received and processed on the other side.
    This applies to each bit of data sent not just to ones used to fix things

The term latency refers to any of several kinds of delays typically incurred in the processing of network data. A low latency network connection is one that experiences small delay times, while a high latency connection suffers from long delays.
    A low latency connection does work efficiently but you can have a high latency connection that works 100% fine because each packet goes through without loss.

And you can have a low latency but high loss connection that barely works at all

In fact your normal ping test for latency checks for both latency and then loss
    And you can adjust it to test using bigger packets and wait longer to see if loss was incurred due to incredibly high latency
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2018/05/18 at 08:44 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

I tested amazon.com using ping. It is slow server so I get a difference.
    Fiber (HomeConnect but it is something like cyberware) 249/250
    MTN LTE 289/316
    Cell C LTE 246/255

So there is a difference. To test normally fast I took google.co.uk. In the same sequence as above
    2/3
    19/37
    16/20
    In each case fastest/slowest. 4 pings. 32 bites and no loss in any of the tests.

I do not need to worry - I do not game

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    The ISP makes such a huge difference.

On OOKLA I get an average of 7ms with as low as 5ms with my Afrihost account and never get below 11ms with my Telkom account on the same line.

Sounds like nothing but makes a significant difference when playing OW.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Quote Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
    Latency is a measurement of how long it takes your packet of data to be transferred from the sender and received and processed on the other side.
    This applies to each bit of data sent not just to ones used to fix things

I never said it was just to fix things. But when it is required to fix things, this is when it is most important.

People are mushing up - Latency, Ping, Turnaround time, bandwidth and speed.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

People are mushing up - Latency, Ping, Turnaround time, bandwidth and speed.
    Not even experts can agree what is what

Add to this units. Got an offer today on WhatApp group. Given speed 25Mb/s. Some complain that it is slow.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2