Thoughts and experiences with Seal Sweller products you add to engine oil?

Default Thoughts and experiences with Seal Sweller products you add to engine oil?

What are peoples thoughts and experiences with Seal Sweller, the aftermarket additives that you add to your engine oil to soften and swell oil seals and hopefully make them seal tighter and stop leaking.
    On my almost 20yr old Honda CRV the rear crank seal(necessitates removing the gearbox and flywheel to replace) has a slight oil leak and I have been recommended something like Blue Devil seal sweller(might only be available on import) to help stop the leak. Apparently these products sometimes work well on old oil seals that may have dried up a bit and just need some softening up and a bit of swelling, the oils sold as high mileage products apparently also add this sweller stuff to their blend.

Are these products snake oil and if they do work are there any local products available that can be recommended?
    Are they a once off treatment or does it require a dosage at each oil change?

Default Re: Thoughts and experiences with Seal Sweller products you add to engine oil?

I used a Wynn engine oil additive they sell in Halfords ( the UK car parts store ) to revive seals in old engines before .
    I don't remember the exact name but is a Wynn product , you can probably Google it .
    It is meant to soften up old dried up seals as you said .
    It worked as far as I can remember, stopping the weeping .
    Cheers

Default Re: Thoughts and experiences with Seal Sweller products you add to engine oil?

Waste of money. The seal is worn, gone hard or both. It's most likely to have worn a groove in the shaft as well. Remember that all the seals that the magic potion comes in contact with will go soft too like valve stem seals which will cause more problems down the line.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    Waste of money. The seal is worn, gone hard or both. It's most likely to have worn a groove in the shaft as well. Remember that all the seals that the magic potion comes in contact with will go soft too like valve stem seals which will cause more problems down the line.
    That's what I was wondering about, if it affects one seal it'll affect them all, potentially I may have many new leaks developing a few months after using it.

All modern oils have a seal swell additive. Only difference is that they are not as aggressive as the stand alone additives. Seals need to swell else they will leak at the first sign of wear (if they start life very tight then you wear the shaft). I know of a few people that have used these products successfully, prolonging the seal change for a few years. But not all engines or seal compounds are the same...
    1985 Land Rover 110 - 300tdi conversion
    Fitted
    2x auxiliary fuel tanks (+-2000km range)
    40l water tank
    30l water tank in front bumper
    Spare wheel carrier
    Madman EMS2

Platkar: 2014 Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI powershift 5 door

It's always more fun on the road less travelled

Quote Originally Posted by iLandy View Post
    All modern oils have a seal swell additive. Only difference is that they are not as aggressive as the stand alone additives. Seals need to swell else they will leak at the first sign of wear (if they start life very tight then you wear the shaft). I know of a few people that have used these products successfully, prolonging the seal change for a few years. But not all engines or seal compounds are the same...
    Thanks, do you have any idea what products they used?

https://www.wynns.eu/product/engine-oil-stop-leak/

This is the one I mentioned in my previous post.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    https://www.wynns.eu/product/engine-oil-stop-leak/

This is the one I mentioned in my previous post.

Cheers
    Thanks, I'll have a look if it's available here.

Things like seal sweller ruin all rubber components in touch with oil. Have seen seals after the use of this stuff that were like jelly.

There is only one solution, replace what ever seal leaks with an OEM seal. Cheap aftermarket seals will have you to redo seal replacement few months down the line.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Things like seal sweller ruin all rubber components in touch with oil. Have seen seals after the use of this stuff that were like jelly.

There is only one solution, replace what ever seal leaks with an OEM seal. Cheap aftermarket seals will have you to redo seal replacement few months down the line.
    Thanks for the heads up , I can agree 100% with using OEM or high temp Japanese oil seals if they have the size from Bmg/skf, anything else is a waste of money/looking for trouble.