Outing - Mini Overland tour, with a trail at the end. (Soft Roaders Welcome) - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Default Re: Outing - Mini Overland tour, with a trail at the end. (Soft Roaders Welcome)

What can one say when

The company was great

Honey nest was a great venue, good ablutions, a donkey that could provide for a township and the fire in the Boma could be seen from space.
    The dirt road routes were lots of fun and other than one oopsie in the middle of town, the convoy kept together and the radio's worked a treat.

Karee Krans provided the fun on Sunday morning with grade 2 to 4 routes

When you get a group that gels, it shows. One of the group had a puncture and it was one of the quickest wheel changes I have ever seen. Without being asked every one took a role and not a single complaint, just pats on the back for a job well done.

Did I mention that the company was great, the kids even fit in very well, except that one that would not let me have a go on his bike

Thanks all, till next time.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Default Re: Outing - Mini Overland tour, with a trail at the end. (Soft Roaders Welcome)

Trip report:

I arrived at Honey Nest to find that Stranger, ZX14, Canoes, Johan Maree, Other Johan, and Jurgen were all there already. I picked a spot and we quickly set up camp. Danie arrived a bit later, with RonB, jjoubrt, and Ianvdl, pulling out for various reasons.

We (Johan Maree) got a fire going and there commenced a kuier ..

Me and Jurgen stayed untill late, and sort of got attacked by a bottle of Bains, but the party realy got raucous when Stranger came and joined.. I saw a gap, and decided to make a quick exit. Slept like a baby..

The Pajero's (stranger's) interior light was forgotten on all night.
    It was cold, and all loved the nice fire.

The venue is one of those hidden gems. The ablutions are truly wonderful, with a well designed DONKEY doing a great task of providing all of us with hot water, the campsites are spacious and have enough shade. Bird life abounds.

The following morning, we got up (I was up at 05h30 and lit the DONKEY) then made a good coffee, and watched the sun and the camp wake up. It is a wonderful experience, to see everything and everyone waking up, and probably my favorite time of day.

There was ice on the vehicles and tarps... It was cold.

ZX14 (Errol and Debby) had an air mattress.. I will leave it for you to imagine how they experienced the cold.

We brekkied, showered, and packed up. Jurgen was late...

The first guys left from 10 to 10 and I was the last to leave at 15min past 10.
    The route was nice, and the day was mild, perfect to travel.

I tried to include a good mix of of things to see in the route and I hope all was happy with what the bushveld has to offer. We saw a lot of game, they came and stood by the road as if it was pre-arranged. Gemsbok, Kudu, Njala, Sable, Wildebeest, even a black impala (weird)

The first part of the route was from Honey Nest (Near Derby) to Koster, and then on to Swartruggens via Koster dam and then on to the lunch venue.

The lunch spot was a bit overwhelmed by our arrival and they took a bit long to serve, but once we spoke to them, helped them get some speed in their systems...they popped the food out with regularity.

But, it took a bit longer than planned. (part of the experience I suppose) - We arrived at 12. We left at 13h30.

The last part of our trip took us from Swartruggens to Silverkrans, via a dirt road that had seen some heavy rain, and was washed away in places and repaired temporary. This was interesting, and we also had one of the team get a flat tyre near the end of the gravel route.

From there we traveled through Silverkrans, past Lindleyspoort dam wall, and on to Karre Krans via Renosterhoek (this is were they breed those expensive buffels)

The last portion of gravel had a lot of bull dust.. but was smooth and easy to travel on. Very pretty vistas as well.

Once by Karee, we had some issues with getting the promised hot water as the geysers were left off, for us to find the switches and put on.. Then we noticed that they were very slow heating as well, and thus only got hot water well after nightfall thus froze our .... off.

Note to all camp spot owners - If, you have ablutions and you say that you have hot water, then please let us have hot water when we get there. Not 4 hours later. Or just tell us that we need to start the geyser on arrival.. then we know.
    oh, and PLEASE put something somewhere in the showers where we can put our stuff on when we shower, or where we can hang our stuff. The floor.... does not freaking work.

Other than that..The campsite where very nice, spacious with lovely shade, and POWER!

Errol and Debby were very happy to have the heater going for the night. We had a nice evening and I went to bed rather early.

Next morning, me Jurgen, Canoes and Stranger, did the route and enjoyed it thoroughly.. I got stuck in the mud hole, and bit a hole in my seat with my ass, while going down THE SLOTE!

We had lunch at camp, and everyone only left in the afternoon.

I enjoyed myself immensely and thank you to all who made this trip such a pleasure, I hope everyone enjoyed it.

Please post more photos

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

LC76V8

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Nice report. With all the photos it just wet the appetite to also go there.
    Hermanator

Herman Smit

Who is the member with the Mobi Lodge?
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Who is the member with the Mobi Lodge?
    I think it is "Jobro"

There were 3 x Johans on this trip.. Played havoc with the radios

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

LC76V8

How nice is it to read threads like this...

Ultimately, everything we do here on the forum revolves around friendships and experiences like these.

EDIT: And kudos for arranging everything Andrew.
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2018/06/25 at 12:34 PM.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Nice report, Andrew thanks for arranging this, I think it showed that you don't need to several weeks available, nor need to travel 1000 km's away in order to get away and just enjoy life and company!

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Dirk, very true. With both the Touareg day and Andrews trip, the key seems to be pick a date, pick a venue, and they will come.
    Citroen C5
    Touareg V8
    ZX14

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Nice report, Andrew thanks for arranging this, I think it showed that you don't need to several weeks available, nor need to travel 1000 km's away in order to get away and just enjoy life and company!

Thanks Dirk. I will try and have one every year, as a "winter event" It is very nice!

My initial plan/mission was to get the guys together that don't do trails, but also still have the trail day as an option, so that anyone can enter. I wanted those guys who cry that they cannot be included in trail days/weekends to join. The guys who would like to have a softer version of a 4x4 weekend, less hardcore and more travel biased.

But alas, no softroaders arrived..

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

LC76V8

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Pok

That is not mud. It's some kind of primordial ooze.
    In it's wet form, it sticks like glue. But when dry it just flakes off.
    Jurgen

Enjoyed the trip and company!

Thanks to everyone, especially Andrew for organising!
    Jurgen

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8