Ford sync 3 Navigation maps

Unhappy Ford sync 3 Navigation maps

Good day,

I need some help on the navigation update for the Ford sync 3 system. Ford advertised 1 navigation update per year for 5 years. I have spoken to different Ford dealers as well as Ford customer care. All of them said the same thing. Dont know and we can not do the updates.

I have 2018 Ranger. The navigation update shows 2015 aswell as the POI.

What can we do?

Default Re: Ford sync 3 Navigation maps

Hi Snys09011,

I am not sure which map you are looking at on the Sync3 - there should also be T4A data on the navigation system? Our information is that Ford is responsible for the updates. This article https://www.wheels24.co.za/OffRoad_a...-more-20170411 states that periodic updates are available over WiFi.

Maybe also post in the Ford section of the forum, if you have not already done so?

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Snys09011 View Post
    Good day,

I need some help on the navigation update for the Ford sync 3 system. Ford advertised 1 navigation update per year for 5 years. I have spoken to different Ford dealers as well as Ford customer care. All of them said the same thing. Dont know and we can not do the updates.

What can we do?

Good day, i bought my Wildtrak 2018 two weeks ago and did the update myself. Very easy and plain and simple. just follow this link

https://www.ford.ie/owner/resources-.../sync/update#/

Good day Viking13

The sync update is not the problem. The map updates is. The info that I got was that the ford SA "chief" for the technology was not aware that the update system is not working in SA. Apparently, and I have seen the internal email, that the map updates will be available 3de quater of 2018.

The only worry is that if the head of for SA didn't know about the problem, is it ever going to be ready

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Snys09011 View Post
    Good day,

What can we do?

Angry Re: Ford sync 3 Navigation maps

Hi there. Have also recently purchased a Ford Ranger XLT and to put in bluntly the Ford Navigation system or tracks for Africa is not up to date and basically does not work. Have dealt with customer care and as recent a this last Friday had dealings with head office regarding the problem. I have had various answers even from one of the ladies telling me that I must use google maps on my phone. The end of it was that a senior discussed the matter with management and I was informed that the maps do not cover all streets in South Africa and that they will be doing nothing about it, although apparently there will be an "update" in September although do not expect it to rectify the matter. Have had to revert to buying a Garmin GPS with tracks4Afrika

Quote Originally Posted by peterdu6608 View Post
    Hi there. Have also recently purchased a Ford Ranger XLT and to put in bluntly the Ford Navigation system or tracks for Africa is not up to date and basically does not work. Have dealt with customer care and as recent a this last Friday had dealings with head office regarding the problem. I have had various answers even from one of the ladies telling me that I must use google maps on my phone. The end of it was that a senior discussed the matter with management and I was informed that the maps do not cover all streets in South Africa and that they will be doing nothing about it, although apparently there will be an "update" in September although do not expect it to rectify the matter. Have had to revert to buying a Garmin GPS with tracks4Afrika
    Hi,

Could you elaborate on the problem you are experiencing. The Sync3 system has two maps built-in. The one is a map from Here Technologies which is intended to street coverage/city/general navigation. Its the same map data that you will find on many other in-vehicle systems like BMW and Mercedes Benz. It is also used by Garmin worldwide and forms the basis of the map that is bundled with you Garmin device.

Then there is also a Tracks4Africa map on the Sync3 device. The two maps are working separately and you have to toggle between them. Settings>Select Map Content I recall.

The T4A version that was deployed is a 2015 version of our iGO compiled maps. We have raised an issue with the two companies responsible to deploy map updates to this system that their map updates are not behind and I believe there is people working on a solution to bring the maps up to the lates versions.

If you tell me what sort of issues you are having I can try to see what is causing it, but the T4A map should be yielding the same results as the one you buy for Garmin, its just an older map version. In fact the iGO deployment have better routing results according to my tests and you have the option to exclude 4WD tracks from route calculations should you not want to traverse these types of roads.

I would check the following to start with:

• T4A Map is selected
    • Route calculation is set to Fastest Time or Shortest Distance (not off-road as this is straight line routing)
    • Route Avoidances are not activated (if 4WD tracks are being avoided and you select a destination which can only be reached on a 4WD track you will get a error message "Isolated from road network" or something to that effect)

Kind Regards
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Groenie View Post
    Hi,

Could you elaborate on the problem you are experiencing. The Sync3 system has two maps built-in. The one is a map from Here Technologies which is intended to street coverage/city/general navigation. Its the same map data that you will find on many other in-vehicle systems like BMW and Mercedes Benz. It is also used by Garmin worldwide and forms the basis of the map that is bundled with you Garmin device.

Then there is also a Tracks4Africa map on the Sync3 device. The two maps are working separately and you have to toggle between them. Settings>Select Map Content I recall.

The T4A version that was deployed is a 2015 version of our iGO compiled maps. We have raised an issue with the two companies responsible to deploy map updates to this system that their map updates are not behind and I believe there is people working on a solution to bring the maps up to the lates versions.

If you tell me what sort of issues you are having I can try to see what is causing it, but the T4A map should be yielding the same results as the one you buy for Garmin, its just an older map version. In fact the iGO deployment have better routing results according to my tests and you have the option to exclude 4WD tracks from route calculations should you not want to traverse these types of roads.

I would check the following to start with:

• T4A Map is selected
    • Route calculation is set to Fastest Time or Shortest Distance (not off-road as this is straight line routing)
    • Route Avoidances are not activated (if 4WD tracks are being avoided and you select a destination which can only be reached on a 4WD track you will get a error message "Isolated from road network" or something to that effect)

Kind Regards
    Good Morning

I did select tracks4africa after the ford system did not work and set the system to the above mentioned system.
    The problem I picked up was that I wanted to go to Conqueror in Wellinton and I can pick up the address in Google maps but both your tracks and Fords system only picks up about 20 streets in total for the whole of Wellinton. I suspect Ford has not done a complete installation and therefore cannot work properly. Had the same problem with my new Oregon750 until I took it back to Outdoor wharehouse and they installed the complete package again

Quote Originally Posted by peterdu6608 View Post
    Good Morning

I did select tracks4africa after the ford system did not work and set the system to the above mentioned system.
    The problem I picked up was that I wanted to go to Conqueror in Wellinton and I can pick up the address in Google maps but both your tracks and Fords system only picks up about 20 streets in total for the whole of Wellinton. I suspect Ford has not done a complete installation and therefore cannot work properly. Had the same problem with my new Oregon750 until I took it back to Outdoor wharehouse and they installed the complete package again
    Hi Johann
    If neccessary I am willing to bring my vehicle to you, as I stay in Gordons Bay
    My Number is 0832975632