Yellow fever validation longer then 10 years

Default Yellow fever validation longer then 10 years

Just went for my new yellow fever shot as it was expired.
    They told me that it is no longer required and that WHO declared that the shot now is forever.

They did not want to state that in my medical passport and informed that everybody knows this at customs?

I think that they never were at customs in Zimbabwe and Zambia..

Anybody experience with an expired date in the medical passport entering Zambia and or Zimbabwe?

I am a bit concerned for possible problems.

Thanks for your kind support

Johan

Default Re: Yellow fever validation longer then 10 years

I see in my vaccination booklet when I went to get my booster shot last year, the doctor just added another 10 year valid entry even though I did not get the shot. This was to prevent issues with border crossings.

2007 Nissan Navara 2.5dCI Double Cab 4x4
    Safari Snorkel
    ARB Bumper
    Load Bin Lid
    Rear Drawer System
    Long Range Fuel Tank

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cr1sp1 For This Useful Post:

YF is not required by Zambia thus no need to get it unless you are planning to travel further North, but always good to have it updated in any case

I have not heard of the new WHO ruling that YF is now valid for longer than the original 10 years. I cross the ZAM/DRC border on a regular basis going in and out of the DRC and I can tell you that they are still looking and checking validity of YF certificates on both sides

Went for mine last year.

I will insist in getting it to avoid issues at the border, yours clearly state that it expires.

If you have been to Angola and Botswana saw it in your passport they also want to see the yellowfever certificate.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PierredW For This Useful Post:

Got mine last month (amd new booklet). Valid for 10 years. Nurse did say that you only have to get one every 10 years but still recommended a booster after 5 years. So conflicting info. Rather get it to avoid issues at the border
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Had a booster last year before a trip. Got a new booklet, as the previous one was a little full. This was completed by my travel doctor.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mfuwefarmer View Post
    YF is not required by Zambia thus no need to get it unless you are planning to travel further North, but always good to have it updated in any case

I have not heard of the new WHO ruling that YF is now valid for longer than the original 10 years. I cross the ZAM/DRC border on a regular basis going in and out of the DRC and I can tell you that they are still looking and checking validity of YF certificates on both sides
    Good to hear that they do not request at the border as I will fly in at Lusaka airport.
    However, I will go to self drive to Zimbabwe and return....i am afraid that this might end up with problems.

I will try to upload the WHO annex stating that it is no longer required.annex7-ihr (1).pdf

As per WHO, there is no more 10 years validity. BUT I can assure that in most African countries, they are still looking at it. Luckily for me, I renewed mine before hence still valid! Some people travel with the WHO document to show to immigration.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Had a booster last year before a trip. Got a new booklet, as the previous one was a little full. This was completed by my travel doctor.
    So yes they now state life....which is good.
    Now in mine is stating 10 years and is expired....fingers crossed that the customs in African countries trying to make some extra money are "aware" of this change of WHO in 2016 July.

As far as I understood now is that Zimbabwe and Zambia is not heavy controlled on it, however visiting Kenya and or Tanzania will end up on discussions I am afraid.

I need to find an doctor willing to update my yellow passport, the one off today refused it...

Thanks for your feedback.

We had our one and only yellow fever jab in 1994 and 2017 was the last time we needed to be up to date on it.
    As others have stated here already, the recommendations these days are that once is enough, at least following the WHO and the red bible the doctors in Europe adhere to.
    The only time we were asked to show our certificate was in kenya and even then we were stamped through without my husband needing to show his (or actually even himself as he wandered back to the car to get the certificate, by which time I'd finished all procedures for both of us).
    If she noticed the date, she didn't bat an eyelid.

The countries we visited and were need asked to produce documentation in 2017 were:
    SA
    Namibia
    Mozambique
    Botswana
    Zambia
    Malawi
    Tanzania
    Rwanda
    Uganda
    Sudan and
    Egypt

The suggestion to print the current recommendation from WHO, along with your vaccination passport would be the best way forward, I would say myself.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wickychicky For This Useful Post:

We too have this dilemma in that my husband’s yellow fever certificate is out of date. No British doctor will amend or write on the certificate as this is deemed illegal tampering. However, I have printed out the WHO guidelines and attached it to his certificate.

I can hardly remember ever being asked for a YF certificate in recent years. We had to show copies of them when applying for an Angolan visa in London and the out of date certificate was accepted and they knew about the new WHO guidelines.

Yesterday at the Kenya Tanzania border, one of the processes was the Tanzanian health counter. She looked at our passports and said she didn’t need to see the yellow fever certificates (we were digging them out of the briefcase) as she had seen our dates of birth. I conclude that this health official knew about the WHO guidelines as we were deemed “too old” being over 60...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    We too have this dilemma in that my husband’s yellow fever certificate is out of date. No British doctor will amend or write on the certificate as this is deemed illegal tampering. However, I have printed out the WHO guidelines and attached it to his certificate.

I can hardly remember ever being asked for a YF certificate in recent years. We had to show copies of them when applying for an Angolan visa in London and the out of date certificate was accepted and they knew about the new WHO guidelines.

Yesterday at the Kenya Tanzania border, one of the processes was the Tanzanian health counter. She looked at our passports and said she didn’t need to see the yellow fever certificates (we were digging them out of the briefcase) as she had seen our dates of birth. I conclude that this health official knew about the WHO guidelines as we were deemed “too old” being over 60...
    Thanks for your feedback 60 too old.......that is only half way

Yes the WHO has fairly recently decreed that a single Yellow Fever vaccination provides cover for life. This decision was based on sound scientific evidence.

The big question is whether this has filtered all the way down!

In the past there was a reluctance to immunize those over 65 years or those with certain medical problems, because of possible complications from the vaccination. These people where then issued with a exemption certificate.

I think the best idea is to carry your most current yellow fever certificate and print out and mount in it (as impressively and officially as possible) the WHO report.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

TransAfrica 2015/2016 blog www.slowdonkey.com OR http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Cool Re: Yellow fever validation longer then 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post

In the past there was a reluctance to immunize those over 65 years
    WW, forgetful or a little white lie ?