Is this unsafe? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is this unsafe?

Default Re: Is this unsafe?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    I trust this pic was taken before the pic with kids......?

If thatís the same car, then I think a couple of people should rethink their posts.

They just assumed the situation was unsafe and the parents idiots.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    If thatís the same car, then I think a couple of people should rethink their posts.

Forgive them Fluffy, the keyboard gives a skewed perspective...

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post

It's the forum's achilles heel. Everyone wants to be devil's advocate. Just because....

If we were there, we would have seen it's safe.

No parent would allow anything of the sorts if the vaguely thought it was unsafe.

PS : even kids would put up a fuss if they thought it was dodgy.

Ek staan by wat ek se daai ou is dom om dit toe telaat dat sy kinders daar gaan staan

I can imagine his next visit to the dealership ....

the chassis on my brand new bakkie is twisted !!!

where and how did it happen, sir ?

was doing some 4x4 trails, nothing hectic; wasn't speeding, no load apart from me, a mate and three small kids.

---
    what he failed to mention was parking it on that axle twister then him and his mate jumping up and down on the unsupported end making sure its safe for the kids to crawl under and pose for a photo ...
    ---

but I suppose we can agree he's a responsible parent; clever ... maybe not so much
    Last edited by RussellF; 2018/05/15 at 08:00 PM.

Is it safe, Probably

Would I let my kids do it? Hell no.
    Would I do it? Yeah for a cool facebook pic

the difference is, If I get hurt, it's on me. I know what can happen, I know how to think ahead.
    If my dad told me to jump off the roof onto the grass, I did it. Because I trust my dad. he is a slim bliksem. But it's on the parent if anything goes wrong and the kid is hurt.

As for the skydiving examples etc on here, Yeah its stupid, it's dangerous and all those things, But if you are willing to take the risk, go for it. you are the one that gets hurt and has to live with your actions

Well, given just a picture, and asking the question, was stirring the pot. In general, everything is fun, until ##### happens.
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

I agree with those that think its unsafe, If you dont what is safe or not then its unsafe.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

Quote Originally Posted by stevan View Post
    Well, given just a picture, and asking the question, was stirring the pot. In general, everything is fun, until ##### happens.
    Jip, it's all #####s-&-giggles... until someone giggles-&-#####s.

But, this goes for everything. One estimates the risk, and if you deem it safe, then do it. Is it a risk to drive on a SA road? Of course it is. Does it mean you won't? No. Will you lift your kid/wife/SO on your motorbike? I would. Is it risky? Of course it is. Is the risk worth the enjoyment? Hell yes.

I still have my son ride in the back of my bakkie at times. Is it safe? Probably not as safe as in front. But, one cannot wrap them in cotton wool their whole life.

The adults here got on the bakkie themselves and saw it was going nowhere. To then have the kid pose for a cool pic is absolutely acceptable in my book. To deny them is much like being a smoker, but telling your kid that smoking is bad for them...
    Work. It's a wealthy man's privilege, and a poor man' fate....

Andrť Opperman

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post

But, this goes for everything. One estimates the risk, and if you deem it safe, then do it. Is it a risk to drive on a SA road? Of course it is. Does it mean you won't? No. Will you lift your kid/wife/SO on your motorbike? I would. Is it risky? Of course it is. Is the risk worth the enjoyment? Hell yes.

I still have my son ride in the back of my bakkie at times. Is it safe? Probably not as safe as in front. But, one cannot wrap them in cotton wool their whole life.

The adults here got on the bakkie themselves and saw it was going nowhere. To then have the kid pose for a cool pic is absolutely acceptable in my book. To deny them is much like being a smoker, but telling your kid that smoking is bad for them...

What he said! There is a risk to living in this country - those kids are most probably more at risk of getting killed in an hi Jacking or armed robbery.

Men are becoming softies.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

We all have our varying degrees of cautiousness. Thatís why we have total chickens on one side, and Darwin Award winners on the other.

For me personnaly i believe that isnít safe, and I would never ever have even thought of that, but then, Iím extremely cautious/chicken when it comes to 4x4 - Iíve been to dewildt a couple times, but only once done Gert se Klip after some serious peer pressure. Scares the pants off me.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    Jip, it's all #####s-&-giggles... until someone giggles-&-#####s.

Difference is, your son was raised right.

The best ways parents can protect their kids is not to keep them away from danger, but to teach them how to deal with it.

We had a accident in town yesterday(small fender bender) that the child had to be airlifted. Was not buckled in and made contact with the dashboard and windscreen.
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

Kids are learning bush method of changing a wheel.
    They have jacked up the bakkie while Dad is getting the tools from behind the seats.
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

Firstly, if the picture of the adult standing on the wheel in the air bakkie was posted before the one with the kids underneath it the responses will have been much different.

Secondly, if something went wrong the magistrate or whatever official at the inquest will have asked if the reasonable man will arrange a photoshoot of small kids like that under a balancing vehicle.

Thirdly, kids do not do what they are told to, they follow examples. The next thing is them crawling under a vehicle that is jacked up. As adults we should consider the possible consequences of the examples we set.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

I fully agree that it is a bad idea to teach children that it is ok to be under an elevated tyre.

I am reminded of a story that a fireman told us when I was a kid. He showed us the jaws of life and allowed us to touch it. But NOT between the jaws. He said that the first time he picked one up he put his hand there and his supervisor klapped him off his feet.

Why? The thing was switched off, after all and didn't pose any danger.

Well, we are creatures of habit. If you have a healthy respect for areas of danger you will subconsciously avoid it e.g. under the stress of getting someone out of a car wreck you don't absentmindedly put your hand where it shouldn't be.

This guy had all his fingers intact.

When I work under a jacked-up car I am very conscious of the location of my legs, I make sure that the are not under an elevated tyre because my dad threatened me with murder if I came near the tyres when he worked on the car.

Will a jacked-up car fall when properly supported by jack stands? Probably not.

Is it impossible for the car to fall? No it isn't.

Incidentally, I still have all my fingers and toes.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

Context, context, context.

The opening pic, taken in isolation, depicts a very risky situation. Subsequent addition of context alleviated the impression of some of the risk.

I personally would still never let my kids underneath a vehicle like that (what Poen said, re habits). I may be over protective, but its the only kids I have.
    *** ADMIN REMOVED ***

I don't think the 2 pics are in the same spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    I don't think the 2 pics are in the same spot.
    I think you are very observant. Look at the pics side by side. Probably taken on different days if you consider the clouds and the lack of any shade in the one pic. The angle of the ground on which the front wheel is situated also makes me wonder how stable and steady that vehicle is. Safe enough for a photoshoot with kiddies underneath? I wonder what mommy and grandma's response will be to these heroics.

In any event, those are posed photos, as in showmanship, not real life off-road. My reasoning is that one would approach that obstacle with all wheels firmly on the sides of the ditch if you wanted to get over it. No need to do it at an angle.

Is that a spotlight of some sorts fitted to the roll-bar?

Name:  Kiddies.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  108.1 KB
    Last edited by Poen; 2018/05/18 at 02:59 PM.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast