Weber trick - Page 4




Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 61 to 80 of 80

Thread: Weber trick

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    45
    Posts
    852
    Thanked: 217

    Default Re: Weber trick

    @KobusDJ

    What type of wood are you using there?

    I've tried a number of our indigenous hardwoods but most produce too much smoke and others make the meat bitter. The best local wood I've used so far is Swarthaak.
    BL324
    98 Hilux SFA 2.2 Ltd with EFI (Slakkie)

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Geelvis For This Useful Post:


  3. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gaborone, Botswana
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,433
    Thanked: 547

    Default Re: Weber trick

    @Geelvis

    I have no idea what type of wood it is.

    It is hard and dry. Dry is very important... you get a very bad taste if not.
    Kobus

    HDJ81 VX

  4. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    64
    Posts
    67
    Thanked: 81

    Default Re: Weber trick

    Quote Originally Posted by Geelvis View Post
    @KobusDJ

    What type of wood are you using there?

    I've tried a number of our indigenous hardwoods but most produce too much smoke and others make the meat bitter. The best local wood I've used so far is Swarthaak.
    Try and get hold of peach,cherry,pear
    Use two or three chunks not logs or you can overdo it
    The smoke gives you the taste and "bark" your coals do the cooking
    Low and slow

  5. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    45
    Posts
    852
    Thanked: 217

    Default Re: Weber trick

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Young View Post
    Try and get hold of peach,cherry,pear
    Use two or three chunks not logs or you can overdo it
    The smoke gives you the taste and "bark" your coals do the cooking
    Low and slow
    Hi Grant,

    I have hickory, apple, cherry, pecan and mesquite chunks that I got from Big Green Egg.
    Many of our local hardwoods are like mesquite, which is very strong and should be used with reservation.

    I'd love to get some peach and pear chunks!
    BL324
    98 Hilux SFA 2.2 Ltd with EFI (Slakkie)

  6. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,526
    Thanked: 98

    Default Re: Weber trick

    So, kan ek die perske takke gebruik wat ek gaan afsnoei hierdie winter? Ek het 'n paar Kakemas, Orion en Oom Sarel bome wat ek moet snoei.
    Last edited by SpiderGear; 2018/05/22 at 10:47 AM.
    Touareg V10

  7. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Centurion, Pretoria
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,903
    Thanked: 74

    Default Re: Weber trick

    His:
    2010 Daihatsu Terios 4wd manual, GIZ Top R 3 inch suspension lift and shocks, GIZ Fiber glass Snorkel, Bash Plates.
    1999 Discovery II XS V8 Autobox, with some mods...

    Hers:
    2015 Ford Figo 1.4i Ambiente.

    Ours:
    2016 Campmaster Compact 100 trailer.
    ----------------

  8. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Durban North
    Age
    63
    Posts
    327
    Thanked: 246

    Default Re: Weber trick

    Quote Originally Posted by Geelvis View Post
    @KobusDJ

    What type of wood are you using there?

    I've tried a number of our indigenous hardwoods but most produce too much smoke and others make the meat bitter. The best local wood I've used so far is Swarthaak.
    Try using wood that does not have bark ,bark smokes excessively and for some reason has those bitter flavours

  9. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    64
    Posts
    67
    Thanked: 81

    Default Re: Weber trick

    Quote Originally Posted by Geelvis View Post
    Hi Grant,

    I have hickory, apple, cherry, pecan and mesquite chunks that I got from Big Green Egg.
    Many of our local hardwoods are like mesquite, which is very strong and should be used with reservation.

    I'd love to get some peach and pear chunks!
    I am fortunate to live in Stellenbosch
    Is just ask the fruit farmers
    Mesquite is to strong I find the smoke bark is somewhat bitter so I don't use it

  10. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    64
    Posts
    67
    Thanked: 81

    Default Re: Weber trick

    Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    Try using wood that does not have bark ,bark smokes excessively and for some reason has those bitter flavours
    Yes should have made it clearer no bark on the chunks
    Also was referring to the smoke"bark" on the meat

  11. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Durban North
    Age
    63
    Posts
    327
    Thanked: 246

    Default Re: Weber trick

    You right clear the bark off the chunks...bark on the meat new for us at least it has no bite

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dudleytheplumber For This Useful Post:


  13. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    45
    Posts
    852
    Thanked: 217

    Default Re: Weber trick

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderGear View Post
    So, kan ek die perske takke gebruik wat ek gaan afsnoei hierdie winter? Ek het 'n paar Kakemas, Orion en Oom Sarel bome wat ek moet snoei.
    @Spider Gear

    That's exactly the right wood to use. Just make sure it's properly dry.
    BL324
    98 Hilux SFA 2.2 Ltd with EFI (Slakkie)

  14. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    45
    Posts
    852
    Thanked: 217

    Default Re: Weber trick

    Quote Originally Posted by mariusrautenbach View Post
    Nothing wrong with their wood Marius.

    I use their orange, almond and olive wood. The olive is fantastic for lamb on the Weber and citrus always goes well with chicken, pork and even beef. It's a very mild smoke flavor.

    I've ordered one of these from the UK and I'll be using the wood dust available from SA BBQ Smokers.
    https://www.proqsmokers.com/cold-smokers

    BTW: SA BBQ Smokers also offer smoking seminars for those of you that would like to learn more about this dark art.
    BL324
    98 Hilux SFA 2.2 Ltd with EFI (Slakkie)

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Geelvis For This Useful Post:


  16. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    45
    Posts
    852
    Thanked: 217

    Default Re: Weber trick

    Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    Try using wood that does not have bark ,bark smokes excessively and for some reason has those bitter flavours
    Thanks Dudley!

    I always remove the bark from indigenous wood like Sekelbos, Kameeldoring etc. They still generate more smoke than I would like and for this reason I seldom use our local woods. The local hardwoods aren't too bad in electrical or gas smokers as the ood is the only source of smoke. When using charcoal or briquettes, they add more smoke

    Fruit trees like apple and peach have a very thin bark which makes no difference at all to the flavor.

    https://biggreenegg.com/product/smoking-chunks/
    These are by far the best smoking chunks available in SA. They're expensive but a little goes a looonngg way.
    Last edited by Geelvis; 2018/05/23 at 12:40 PM.
    BL324
    98 Hilux SFA 2.2 Ltd with EFI (Slakkie)

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geelvis For This Useful Post:


  18. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Centurion, Pretoria
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,903
    Thanked: 74

    Default Re: Weber trick

    Quote Originally Posted by Geelvis View Post
    Nothing wrong with their wood Marius.

    I use their orange, almond and olive wood. The olive is fantastic for lamb on the Weber and citrus always goes well with chicken, pork and even beef. It's a very mild smoke flavor.

    I've ordered one of these from the UK and I'll be using the wood dust available from SA BBQ Smokers.
    https://www.proqsmokers.com/cold-smokers

    BTW: SA BBQ Smokers also offer smoking seminars for those of you that would like to learn more about this dark art.
    Wanna go to their shop on Saturday. Need wood

    On a serious note. I am saving for a 30th bday gift from me to me....... FROM THEM
    His:
    2010 Daihatsu Terios 4wd manual, GIZ Top R 3 inch suspension lift and shocks, GIZ Fiber glass Snorkel, Bash Plates.
    1999 Discovery II XS V8 Autobox, with some mods...

    Hers:
    2015 Ford Figo 1.4i Ambiente.

    Ours:
    2016 Campmaster Compact 100 trailer.
    ----------------

  19. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,098
    Thanked: 613

    Default Re: Weber trick

    Most important part for me with trout is that no matter how you prepare it, it must not be overdone. Trout, like salmon, can be raw to medium. Or seared.

    Overdone trout is a sin.
    Defender 2.8i

    Prick your finger it is done the moon has now eclipsed the sun the angel has spread its wings the time has come for bitter things

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to albertvl For This Useful Post:


  21. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Tesselaarsdal (dis inni Kaap!)
    Age
    58
    Posts
    835
    Thanked: 344

    Default Re: Weber trick

    Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Lappies, ek "steel" jou Thread so bietjie, laat weet ASB as jy 'n pyn het met dit.

    Watse accessories is nice op 'n Weber, bedoelende nie net nice to haves nie, maar wat rerig werk?? Ek het 'n 57cm present gekry, mooi ding, so rooie.

    Soos ek se, nie "gadgets" nie, maar accessories wat die Weber beter maak

    THANKS
    Petri, die een Accessory wat ek gevind het werk soos 'n bom is daai skoorsteen-agtige pyp met die handvatsel, gate in die kant en "grid" onder waarin mens jou charcoal aan't brand steek en dan in die kolebakkie/s uitgooi. Charcoal word eengalig warm, maklik om uit te gooi en die groot ding is mens kan indien nodig voordat jou kole koud raak weer 'n klompie brand maak.

    As jou Weber buite staan, vergeet van die cover wat Weber self maak - die ding is van plastiek wat nie "UV - resistant" is nie, die son brand hom binne 'n jaar bros, dit skeur en lyk dan soos die hond se alie. Laat maak eerder een van seil.
    ENJOY!!!
    Ettienne

    196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    1980 Range Rover
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    2004 Disco Td5

  22. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Centurion, Pretoria
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,903
    Thanked: 74

    Default Re: Weber trick

    Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    Most important part for me with trout is that no matter how you prepare it, it must not be overdone. Trout, like salmon, can be raw to medium. Or seared.

    Overdone trout is a sin.
    Yup, I agree... Tasted overdone salmon once... Wasn't nice!
    His:
    2010 Daihatsu Terios 4wd manual, GIZ Top R 3 inch suspension lift and shocks, GIZ Fiber glass Snorkel, Bash Plates.
    1999 Discovery II XS V8 Autobox, with some mods...

    Hers:
    2015 Ford Figo 1.4i Ambiente.

    Ours:
    2016 Campmaster Compact 100 trailer.
    ----------------

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to mariusrautenbach For This Useful Post:


  24. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    45
    Posts
    852
    Thanked: 217

    Default Re: Weber trick

    Even attempting to cook salmon or troot is a sin.

    Fillet that baby, gooi soya sauce and chow.
    Nothing better than a bit of sashimi right there on the river bank.
    BL324
    98 Hilux SFA 2.2 Ltd with EFI (Slakkie)

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geelvis For This Useful Post:


  26. #79
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Centurion, Pretoria
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,903
    Thanked: 74

    Default Re: Weber trick

    Quote Originally Posted by Geelvis View Post
    Even attempting to cook salmon or troot is a sin.

    Fillet that baby, gooi soya sauce and chow.
    Nothing better than a bit of sashimi right there on the river bank.
    Ag no man... I am really lus for sushi!
    His:
    2010 Daihatsu Terios 4wd manual, GIZ Top R 3 inch suspension lift and shocks, GIZ Fiber glass Snorkel, Bash Plates.
    1999 Discovery II XS V8 Autobox, with some mods...

    Hers:
    2015 Ford Figo 1.4i Ambiente.

    Ours:
    2016 Campmaster Compact 100 trailer.
    ----------------

  27. #80
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Durban North
    Age
    63
    Posts
    327
    Thanked: 246

    Default Re: Weber trick

    Petri, die een Accessory wat ek gevind het werk soos 'n bom is daai skoorsteen-agtige pyp met die handvatsel, gate in die kant en "grid" onder waarin mens jou charcoal aan't brand steek en dan in die kolebakkie/s uitgooi. Charcoal word eengalig warm, maklik om uit te gooi en die groot ding is mens kan indien nodig voordat jou kole koud raak weer 'n klompie brand maak.Name:  IMG_20180811_184614.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  41.9 KB

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •