ZF automatic transmissions - Questions and Answers in Leisure Wheels

Default ZF automatic transmissions - Questions and Answers in Leisure Wheels

TAKING CARE OF YOUR ZF TRANSMISSION
    Attached is a questions and answers article that was published in the January 2018 edition of Leisure Wheels.
    (Leisure Wheels gave authorization to ZF to publish this article on the forum)

If there are any questions,please feel free to ask.

Nico
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ZF Services South Africa (Pty) Ltd.
    170 Herman Street, Meadowdale, Ext. 3, Germiston
    P.O.Box 2098, Kempton Park, 1620

Nico Eksteen
    Supervisor - Passenger Vehicles
    Phone:011 457 0005
    Cell: 082 776 2757
    Email: [email protected]
    http://www.zf.com/za

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ZF Services South Africa For This Useful Post:

Default Re: ZF automatic transmissions - Questions and Answers in Leisure Wheels

Not to hijack, but I noticed a ZF building in Atlantis... Are you guys moving/setting up a new service center?
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Default Re: ZF automatic transmissions - Questions and Answers in Leisure Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by BobMabena View Post
    Not to hijack, but I noticed a ZF building in Atlantis... Are you guys moving/setting up a new service center?
    The building is just rebranded as ZF, it was previously branded as TRW. ZF Friedrichshafen AG bought over the American safety systems supplier TRW in 2015.
    TRW in Atlantis (now branded ZF) supplies occupant restraint systems (safety belts and airbag systems) to various car manufacturing plants in South Africa.

The integration of the two companies (ZF and TRW) is expected to last 3 - 5 years.

ZF Friedrichshafen AG is currently the second biggest automotive supplier in the world with Robert Bosch GmbH being the biggest.
    ZF has 230 production locations in 40 countries and approximately 146 000 employees.

Nico Eksteen

Quote Originally Posted by ZF Services South Africa View Post
    The building is just rebranded as ZF, it was previously branded as TRW. ZF Friedrichshafen AG bought over the American safety systems supplier TRW in 2015.
    TRW in Atlantis (now branded ZF) supplies occupant restraint systems (safety belts and airbag systems) to various car manufacturing plants in South Africa.

The integration of the two companies (ZF and TRW) is expected to last 3 - 5 years.

ZF Friedrichshafen AG is currently the second biggest automotive supplier in the world with Robert Bosch GmbH being the biggest.
    ZF has 230 production locations in 40 countries and approximately 146 000 employees.
    Bugga... so gearboxes still in Stikland?

Shot for the info
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Thanks Nico,

I just read the article, but was after another answer to a question:

Can I tow my trailer/ caravan in the highest gear or should I lock the gearbox to tow in 4th (5spd gearbox)?

Would be nice to hear the opinion an expert..

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
    Thanks Nico,

I just read the article, but was after another answer to a question:

Can I tow my trailer/ caravan in the highest gear or should I lock the gearbox to tow in 4th (5spd gearbox)?

Would be nice to hear the opinion an expert..
    Hi Dewald

I just had a look at your profile and it states that you have Toyota Prado 4.0 V6 and if my memory serves me well it is fitted with a 4-speed Aisin transmission.

I assume that you are referring to a 5 speed auto transmission as the Leisure Wheels article focuses on auto's only but either way I will answer for both manual and auto transmissions:

Automatic transmission 5 speed:
    The ZF transmissions are equipped with a trailer program which automatically selects this program when the trailer plug (flicker lights/brake lights etc) is connected to the vehicle. The footwell module senses that the current drawn from the vehicle lights is higher than normal and thus commands the transmission to selects this program.
    When this program is selected, the torque converter lockup engages at a slightly higher rpm than normal due to the weight of the trailer/caravan and that it keeps it a bit longer in a certain gear thus revving a bit higher than normal rpm if the exact same throttle position were to be applied. In theory the aim of an auto transmission is to "automatically select the best suited gear ratio for the speed/application" without the driver having to intervene. As technology progresses with auto transmissions, less intervention will be required from the driver as the system will do all the necessary changes without the driver even knowing. In my opinion the 8HP ZF transmissions are almost perfect in this regard.
    If your transmission tends to shift between 4th and 5th gear constantly, I would advise to rather select 4th gear if the engine does not over rev or if there is a "sport mode" option available to rather select this when towing.

Manual transmission 5 speed:
    5th gear is normally the overdrive gear on most 5-speed transmissions and 4th gear is the direct drive gear ie. in 4th gear the power flow is straight through from the input through the main shaft to the output
    In 5th gear the power flows in from the input shaft gear to the lay shaft and then back to the 5th gear on the main shaft and to the output.
    The 5th gear on the main shaft is a very small gear, with a small needle bearing between it and the main shaft, thus indent marks (bearing brinelling) between the bearing races (outer race on 5th gear and inner race on main shaft) and needles may occur (note: when 5th gear is engaged, it locks onto the main shaft through the sliding sleeve and synchro body, thus the 5th gear bearing is stationary.) The helical cut on the 5th gear might also cause unwanted axial thrust on the corresponding clutch body and through to the nose cone bearing between the input shaft and main shaft as well as damage to the layshaft bearings. (Thrust direction all depending on helical cut direction)
    You might get other transmissions where the top gear is the direct drive (straight through powerflow) and more suitable for towing etc, the manufacturer will then most probably play around with diff ratios\tyre size\transfer case etc to get the desired road speed.

Nico Eksteen

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZF Services South Africa For This Useful Post:

Great response Nico, thanks for the informative post.

I have the 2010 model which has a 5 speed box, and yes, I do tow in 'Sport' mode and select up to 5th gear.

Dewald

"...itís just unhealthy for yourtransmission; so is shiftingto neutral at traffic lights"

What harm is done shifting to neutral frequently when stationary?
    Pieter
    ------
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4

I have enjoyed more than 400 000 hassle free kilometres with my manual gearbox- still on original clutch plate. Can I expect the same service from an automatic transmission?

What is the reason for transmissions to fail? I have read about ATF with a burning smell indicating that the clutches (or whatever mechanism controlling the planetary gears' spinning) are on their way out- what causes them to fail?
    Pieter
    ------
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by BarOne View Post
    "...itís just unhealthy for your transmission; so is shiftingto neutral at traffic lights"

What harm is done shifting to neutral frequently when stationary?
    Shifting to neutral at a traffic light is totally unnecessary, you are causing extra wear on your clutches/pistons and solenoids by fully engaging and disengaging them when shifting to Neutral. You will also wear out your selector lever pre-maturely as the selector lever has micro switches that will wear over time. The whole idea of an automatic transmission is to make the driving experience more comfortable for the driver by limiting intervention by the driver.

Nico Eksteen

Quote Originally Posted by BarOne View Post
    I have enjoyed more than 400 000 hassle free kilometres with my manual gearbox- still on original clutch plate. Can I expect the same service from an automatic transmission?

What is the reason for transmissions to fail? I have read about ATF with a burning smell indicating that the clutches (or whatever mechanism controlling the planetary gears' spinning) are on their way out- what causes them to fail?
    Most definitely you can expect similar hassle free kilometres on an auto transmission, we have a customer with a Discovery 3 with 460 000km on. The secret to success it so service the transmission the same as you service any other component on your vehicle. Oil degrades over time, the filter gets blocked, dirt goes through the valve body of the transmission, the pistons in the valve body gets scored and become sticky. Insufficient oil pressure goes to the clutch packs and that causes them to start slipping and eventually burn.

Nico Eksteen