Real world application debate

Default Real world application debate

Thanks to Fluffy and Eggie or if you prefer Eggie and Fluffy for their input on the electrickery.

So just to separate a debate from the main thread I am inviting members to put forward their real world applications to see what best suits.

I will start. I have a vehicle with a dual battery box, internal solenoid. Wiring from the crank to the aux box. The requirements are to power a 50L Waeco fridge.

There is also a trailer with a Bundu top tent that requires 20 sec bursts to lower and raise the tent.

There is a separate battery box that is used for led lights around camp and to charge e readers cell phones camera and laptop batteries as well as the 18650 vaping bateries.

A 100 w semi flex solar panel is available and each battery box has a PWM controller attached.

What batteries would you use ?
    What chargers ?
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Default Re: Real world application debate

Interesting debate ahead!
    Looking forward to comments....

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I'd say you need to give more info.
    To calculate your needs, you need to supply details in watts usage.
    Any answer without knowing those variables would be guesswork.

I suppose one could extrapolate that info from what you gave in the OP... but giving it would make things easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    I'd say you need to give more info.
    To calculate your needs, you need to supply details in watts usage.
    Any answer without knowing those variables would be guesswork.

I suppose one could extrapolate that info from what you gave in the OP... but giving it would make things easier.
    4 years ago I was the noobie. I had no clue how many watts/amps these things soaked up. I just wanted cold beer. Even now I struggle to keep up with Eggie and Fluffy.

This was the whole point of the thread. Real world application recommendations. Pretend you are a 4x4 shop salesman. What would you tell me.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

Ok, let me try again

I have a Waeco 50L connected to a 102 amp Deltec high cycle in a NL powerpack. Usage is for camping on sites with no power for up to 4 days.

Is this good ?

I have a 105 AC Delco deep cycle that I keep in my trailer to power my Bundutop tent. How do I keep it charged.?

I have a 43 amp portable battery box, how can I keep it charged to feed cell phones and camera batteries.?

BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    4 years ago I was the noobie. I had no clue how many watts/amps these things soaked up. I just wanted cold beer. Even now I struggle to keep up with Eggie and Fluffy.

This was the whole point of the thread. Real world application recommendations. Pretend you are a 4x4 shop salesman. What would you tell me.
    Sign here, here and here. Hide your phone for the sms's and we will see you in 3 days to collect your vehicle after fitment. Thank you.
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

As posted in another thread: whilst at Afrikaburn for 5 days I used my two 70ah boat batteries in parallel to run my 50l Dometic/led lights/usb's/water pump and topped up(very quickly) with a 90w panel in the day - the fridge was set at -10 continuously(made ice every day) and the cut off set at HI (12.1v) - obviously higher ambient temps and cloud will screw with things but it worked very well. When on the road I used the 12v 120W power outlet.
    FJC - Just Cruising

I have a 105Amp second battery in my LC in the back that is inside a NL battery box, it has a built in solenoid, I have two deep cycle batteries in my Commander, that I charge while driving from a separate Anderson connection on my tow bar, with its own solenoid.

It can also charge from mains.. with my CTech

Then I have a small 12v lumino battery set, to run my camping LED lights from, it charges with its own trickle charger through any lighter socket or 220v plug.

Works lekker

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

LC76V8

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

I would say, I have spent a lot of time and money gaining the knowledge that I have - AND I would prefer to talk to you. So, pop in and see me
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post

Works lekker
    NOW that is a real world comment

BMW R1200R

My previous panels was 2x 80W but found them to be a bit light in the pants when the weather doesn't play along. They got stolen when they broke into my house so the insurance kitted me out with a single 265W panel.
    The bigger panel, although bigger and heavier is awesome and seems to be more efficient, even in a bit (or a lot) of cloud cover, I don't need to track the sun so they just stay mounted on the roof and gives me all the power I need.

I have a 40lt Engel, camp lights and of course the inverter sorts out camera batteries, phones, radios and other electronics.

2x lead acid batteries, a 102Ah and a 105A/h. One connected to the panel and controller, the other to the solenoid dual battery system in the vehicle. The two batteries are changeable between the panel and vehicle charger so when less driving is involved I can alternate if needed.

I was running 3x fridges, 2x 40lt Engel's and a 40lt Waeco, All camp lights for a party of 7 and with the only inverter in the camp had to do all the laptop, tablet, sat-phone, phones and camera batteries on a trip to Botswana a few years back and managed extremely well.

Upside of this is that depending on type of trip, my system can be changed to suit.

When calculating power and you try to save by getting the smallest system you think will work in watts? Well, triple it and you should be hassle free... I have had too many warm beers on trips I can call school fees...
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

2009 Hilux 3.0D4D D/C 4X4, Dual battery, ARB Bar, Winch, Home made rock-sliders, EFS Suspension, IPF Spots, Stofpad rear bumper.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pietsweis For This Useful Post:

I would say from own experience double up on the battery capacity for the fridge.

Oh, I have absolutely NO idea how much power the Vaping THING uses!!!

I use a 1 000 w inverter for battery charging (cell phone, tablet, camera, laptop, re-chargeable lighting.

Fridge runs 24x7 with reasonably frequent opening for beverages ..... set at between -2 and -5 deg C depending on ambient.

Good for 3 days without ANY external power (Only 90W solar and alternator charging).

See other threads on this!!!!
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2