Zambia 2019

Thread: Zambia 2019

Default Zambia 2019

Hi, I need some advice please.

We are planning a trip to the Luiwa plains & Kasanka NP to see the wildebeest & bat migration. This is likely to be October / November 2019. I have approx 21 days in total of which some 6 - 7 will be taken driving upon and down.

My Questions :
    what will be the best time (month) to catch both migrations ?
    is approx 15 days in Zambia enough time to visit both parks ?
    When do the bookings for camping open and how long in advance is it advisable to book ??

Thanks

Default Re: Zambia 2019

Quote Originally Posted by theop View Post
    my questions :

• what will be the best time (month) to catch both migrations ? last two weeks of november or first two weeks of december but start with kasanka. Early rains are a risk though, but the later the better for the liuwa wildebeest migration.

• is approx 15 days in zambia enough time to visit both parks ? probably.

• when do the bookings for camping open and how long in advance is it advisable to book ?? we did not book for either but you probably should these days. I would guess bookings open about a year in advance.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

As Stan says: with the road building that has been going on across the Barotse Flood Plains, Liuwa is now very accessible, as opposed to very inaccessible as it was in the past, so booking is probably necessary. Same applies to Kasanka.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Keep in mind its 2 days hard driving from border to Kasanka and 2 days back, You will need at least one day into Luiwa and 1 out, so you have 6 days simply driving'
    Guess that is fine if you are in a hurry but for me 9 days is borderline sharing it between 2 prime destinations.