Camping Chairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Camping Chairs

Default Camping Chairs

Which camping chairs is everyone using while camping?

I have done the Bush Baby, etc and is tired of it not lasting one camping trip. Hoe does the saying go: "Goedkoop koop is duur koop!"

So I am looking for recommendations. I am looking for something that is comfortable that will suffice for an afternoon nap.
    2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE SWAMBO's
    2017 Kia Rio Sedan 1.2 (Spikkels)

2008 Audi A4 3.0TDi Quattro Ambiente Tiptronic (Sheila) SOLD
    2011 Kia Cerato 2.0 (Carter) SOLD
    2007 Mazda BT-50 3000D 4x2 (Wolfie) SOLD

Default Re: Camping Chairs

I use a 150kg rated Campmaster chair bought at Makro, heaver and bulkier than the other cheapish (normally rated at 120kg and with thinner material and breaking and tearing within a year), 5 years old and still in great condition.

https://www.makro.co.za/sports-and-o...chair-251124EA

We recently bought new camping chairs. My son and I opted for Kaufman chairs and hubby went for one from Game. All recline by just lifting the arm rests. Think they are rated for 120kg, but we never look at that - we are all below 85 kg.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

The frontrunner expander chair is expensive (R1095) but it's well worth every cent! Comfortable, strong, durable, light(ish) weight and folds up smaller than most. I would buy it again but I know it will last forever:

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...der-chair.html

Loafa chairs are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    The frontrunner expander chair is expensive (R1095) but it's well worth every cent! Comfortable, strong, durable, light(ish) weight and folds up smaller than most. I would buy it again but I know it will last forever:

Agreed, brilliant chairs. My two are six or seven years old and look like new after some heavy use. They have outlived several cheaper options.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Bought 2 when they were first launched due to their compact size for Jimny. Was surprised how comfortable they were. On my 4x4 best buy list!

Buy the storage bags too.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I like the way the expander chair folds and stores away but doesn't have much in the way of comfy armrests?

Eventually when it became a struggle to get out of my Loafa chair I went for a Campmaster Directors chair so I have my bins and camera at hand, to solve the hard armrest problem I slip two sections of hollow pool noodle over them!
    Last edited by Birder; 2017/02/19 at 07:27 AM.
    Birder

Honda CRV 2016
    Honda CRV 2006
    Swambo 1997 Toyota Corolla 1.3
    < 100k Km

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Agreed, brilliant chairs. My two are six or seven years old and look like new after some heavy use. They have outlived several cheaper options.
    I haven't solved the chair problem yet, and these look promising. But can you fall asleep in them?

Quote Originally Posted by RodS View Post
    I haven't solved the chair problem yet, and these look promising. But can you fall asleep in them?
    I sure have! But it's definitely not a Sunday afternoon nap kind of chair...

I sure have! But it's definitely not a Sunday afternoon nap kind of chair...
    Pity. The search continues.

I should be on some manufacturer's payroll to do camping chair torture testing..

For the last few years I have only used camping chairs at home for myself as I spend most of my time outside and not in the lounge of my house. I have tried a few chairs but eventually something gives in. Granted the chairs are not designed/ built for constant use so I understand the failure.

The Campmaster chairs tear at the top of the uprights and on the corners where the shaft goes through the seat and the "x" plastic jointer between the legs eventually breaks too. The round doughnut shaped one is just rubbish as the plastic clips break on the frame.

Two years ago I got some Oztrail chairs, including a heavy duty one ( heavy and big and you could probably sleep take a nap in it) it seems to be doing ok but the "x" joiner I see is starting to take strain, on the lighter duty one it is about to pack up. When the chair starts getting difficult to fold up you know these are worn by the way.The split pins holding the feet in place have also started breaking but it is easy to replace.

But then I have an old "directors chair" which is probably 5 years old which is still going strong. Only drawback is packing it for camping as it doesn't fold into a "tube" but this one will last for still a long time.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

These are the one's we went for. Highback chairs. I generally don't like the director style chair, I prefer to just be able to lay my head back8)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by RodS View Post
    Haven't tried that one yet!
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

If you feel like selling a kidney have a look at these.

http://www.helinox.co.za/46-camp-chairs.

They are actually developed for motorcycle overlanders but are ideal for the Jimny. Weigh under 1.5kg and can hold 145kg. I have the camp chair and it is very comfortable. Quick and easy to assemble as well

While on the subject of selling body parts to finance camping equipment have a look at these , I had the good fortune of getting one for my 60th Birthday. http://www.walkstool.com/
    Birder

Honda CRV 2016
    Honda CRV 2006
    Swambo 1997 Toyota Corolla 1.3
    < 100k Km

Badprop_za I do not like the director type chairs, just too upright for me unfortunately as they definitely make sense with regards to packing, strength, etc. so I bought the Natural Instincts reclining chair (think it is what they call the "Racing chair") - it is the spider type but has 3 settings for the back which reclines, so you can definitely sleep in it! Bought at Sportsman's Warehouse but other places sell them as well. Very comfortable just bulky, they go for about R650 if remember correctly.
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4

We also use the Frontrunner expander chairs.
    They fold up small and are metal.
    They also had aluminium ones when we bought.
    Very comfortable and about 7 years old now.
    I think that they are only made to carry 100 kgs though.
    Only way you sleep in them is with your head on your chest,
    Otherwise your head bobs up and down while you nap,
    While trying not to snap your neck,
    When it flops over backwards...

We also spent a bit more money and bought heavy duty 120g (could have been 150kg) fold up chairs quite a few years back. They were about twice the price of the cheapest chairs available, but have lasted well, without tearing. I had to replace one rivet however, which looks like it shook itself lose in the vehicle - the chairs stay permanently in the vehicle. I can't remember where we bought these - could have been Makro?

A few months ago we bought full recliners, after seeing others use them. I'm not at home at the moment, but think they are Oztrails. Expensive, but they are super comfy. You need space for them though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast