New National Luna Aux Battery Box

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New National Luna Aux Battery Box

So i'm looking for a 2nd battery setup for the camping fridge to stay charged, etc. when on the road and perhaps leave in camp while roaming about. I came across this and quite like the setup. No solar requirement right now, but there will be at a later stage so this looks like it will fit the bill of requirements.

http://www.nationalluna.com/product/...ry-battery-box

Thoughts? I saw it at ODW and the build quality looked fine. Has anybody used this yet? Will need to use the solenoid function with it otherwise the D4 won't charge the aux battery or so I believe.

Then, how difficult is it to run the cable from the main battery to this box in the boot?

Lastly, any other input is welcome.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

Default Re: New National Luna Aux Battery Box

Hi, just my 2c

I had a good look at these, and they look fantastic. Then I thought OK what application here.

If I was to install this in my vehicle I would now need to install either a solenoid or a DC-DC in order to charge through the vehicle. To charge it through the box I would need to buy an NL charger and I still have no solar unless I use a separate controller and feed an input.

Why then spend so much on that box when it needs add ons. Sure it look sexy but the normal grey box actually does more for the 4x4 guy.

It is easy to wire because you just need an input, the solenoid is inside and you have your meters too. You can easily use solar by having a controller and feeding a grey input/output.

You could for a better cost use a WRND and build a box to your requirements.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Hi, just my 2c

I had a good look at these, and they look fantastic. Then I thought OK what application here.

If I was to install this in my vehicle I would now need to install either a solenoid or a DC-DC in order to charge through the vehicle. To charge it through the box I would need to buy an NL charger and I still have no solar unless I use a separate controller and feed an input.

Why then spend so much on that box when it needs add ons. Sure it look sexy but the normal grey box actually does more for the 4x4 guy.

It is easy to wire because you just need an input, the solenoid is inside and you have your meters too. You can easily use solar by having a controller and feeding a grey input/output.

Maybe have a look at the Data sheet. It contains a solenoid already, and a whole bunch of nice stuff, properly integrated.

Experience tells me never to discount the value and true costs of all the little bits and bobs we eventually land up adding to make a reliable functional syste.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Maybe have a look at the Data sheet. It contains a solenoid already, and a whole bunch of nice stuff, properly integrated.

Experience tells me never to discount the value and true costs of all the little bits and bobs we eventually land up adding to make a reliable functional syste.
    OOPS my bad, if it has the solenoid already that certainly changes the picture. Point taken, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

This is the bit I saw

Optional Extras:

• In-line Fuse holder
    • Intelligent Solenoid
    • NL5 Battery Charger
    • Additional 29mm Sockets
    • 7 metre 16mm˛ charge cable kit
    Last edited by Stranger; 2018/05/08 at 02:06 PM.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Yes, the solenoid is an added extra.

For me, the complete wiring noobie this seems like an easy enough solution.

NL Box
    NL Solenoid
    NL Batter controller
    Battery
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Yes, the solenoid is an added extra.

For me, the complete wiring noobie this seems like an easy enough solution.

NL Box
    NL Solenoid
    NL Batter controller
    Battery
    Yeah but,

add all the individual items up and the older grey box is much less expensive. All it would require would be a fused line, 2 wires, running from the crank battery to the box and plugged into the red input.

The solar requirements would be the same for both boxes.

PS, I am an NL fan
    Last edited by Stranger; 2018/05/08 at 02:28 PM.

BMW R1200R

OOPS my bad, if it has the solenoid already that certainly changes the picture. Point taken, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

This is the bit I saw

Optional Extras:

• In-line Fuse holder
    • Intelligent Solenoid
    • NL5 Battery Charger
    • Additional 29mm Sockets
    • 7 metre 16mm˛ charge cable kit
    You can add in things like USB chargers, built in Digital Voltmeter.
    It really is a nice package.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    You can add in things like USB chargers, built in Digital Voltmeter.
    It really is a nice package.
    Why you throwing spanners in the works Keith?

Please check my earlier post where I linked to the items on 4x4 direct and comment. I'm stoopid with this stuff.

Hi, just my 2c

Agree. Good advice.

Hi, just my 2c

So, see if you agree with me on this one please?

1 x http://www.4x4direct.co.za/battery-b...-luna-box.html
    1 x http://www.4x4direct.co.za/battery-b...y-bracket.html
    1 x http://www.4x4direct.co.za/dc-to-dc-...tml?ipa=0&ins=
    1 x deep cycle battery.

Then I just need the cabling and lugs from the primary battery (with fuse inline) to the WRND Charger - from the WRND to the NL Box. Solar can then be plugged in to the WRND controller at a later stage.

What size cabling is needed and is there a easily available kit that doesn't include unnecessary extras?

Built similar setup,
    Riaan

2.8 GD6 AT 4x4 DC
    BL 466

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to riaande For This Useful Post:

Neat, looks good

BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by riaande View Post
    Built similar setup,
    Nice set-up. How did you connect the WRND to the Brad Harrison plug as the wires are a lot smaller than the crimp part on the pins of the Brad Harrison?

My only problem with the battery box is that it is bloody big and ergonomically does not fit the footprint I have for it behind my fridge in the boot. I will be splitting the electrical control box from the battery so that I can fit everything in the way I want it (need it to be).

My other problem is that I bought the Nat Luna 5A Charger ........ simply too lightweight in my opinion, recovery time way to long.

The nice thing with the NL charger is that it float charge is time limited which is required when connected in the new discovery. Would like more than 5amp, but works well when the unit is at home running 24/7 between trips
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    My only problem with the battery box is that it is bloody big and ergonomically does not fit the footprint I have for it behind my fridge in the boot. I will be splitting the electrical control box from the battery so that I can fit everything in the way I want it (need it to be).

My other problem is that I bought the Nat Luna 5A Charger ........ simply too lightweight in my opinion, recovery time way to long.

I stripped the insulation on the wires back double the normal insertion length of the BH lug, bent strands in "U" shape inserted in lug and crimped with Hex crimper set to smaller diameter than the normal 16mm. Lug ends up a bit distorted but is still fine for insertion in BH plug. The yellow BH plug below the red one is for the solar input.

Regards
    Riaan

2.8 GD6 AT 4x4 DC
    BL 466

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to riaande For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JanH View Post
    Nice set-up. How did you connect the WRND to the Brad Harrison plug as the wires are a lot smaller than the crimp part on the pins of the Brad Harrison?
    I was wondering the same thing, until I youtubed the best way to connect a Brad Harrison / Anderson plug. It's called flood-soldering and is pretty cool.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

I recently did a similar setup, also got all the components from 4x4 direct:

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB_ZA View Post
    I recently did a similar setup, also got all the components from 4x4 direct:

Haha. Exactly where I out my WRND also..

25. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

Hi guys, on the WRND - will it work optimal with a ‘Smart’ altenator ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast