How many amps from national luna box

Default How many amps from national luna box

Has anyone ever kept note of how many amps their national luna solenoid puts out. Ive been running some troubleshooting in prep for botswana trip. Been running fridsge for couple of days without charging. Battery seemed to be at about 70/75% charge. Went for an hour drive, at most it seems tocbe putting out 0.7amps. Seems a little light...

Default Re: How many amps from national luna box

Are you sure all the connections are secure ?

In the past I had a problem with the red connection going into the box. Every time the connection is interrupted, the timer is activated

Johan 😎
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

As sure as i can be... I also hzd an issue eith that. I had to tighten that sucker down. Had just about come lose.

Make shore fridge turbo is off

Check the system this morning again, i have a full 14v coming in from the main battery. Once the solenoid kicks in it drops to 13.6v. So there is an issue somewhere between the main battery and the solenoid.

Its a simple 16mm2 cable running to the back via a circuit breaker (Those 60amp ones from 4x4 direct). im going to take a wild guess that it may be that breaker. Cant think of what else it could be. Will double check the battery terminals

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrewer View Post
    Has anyone ever kept note of how many amps their national luna solenoid puts out. Ive been running some troubleshooting in prep for botswana trip. Been running fridsge for couple of days without charging. Battery seemed to be at about 70/75% charge. Went for an hour drive, at most it seems tocbe putting out 0.7amps. Seems a little light...
    You are charging from the vehicle alternator?

If so, your alternator will pick up that your vehicle battery, primary battery, is fully charged and reduce the charge to your secondary battery as it can not see this battery. If that makes sense...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6poRPUMKTI

This should explain it better.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post

If so, your alternator will pick up that your vehicle battery, primary battery, is fully charged and reduce the charge to your secondary battery as it can not see this battery. If that makes sense...

Iíve had a 2007 Dmax Isuzu, 2x 2016 D-tech Isuzuís and now a new dc d-tech Isuzu and none of them have had a problem charging a high cycle aux battery via a solenoid system !
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post

I am ya (Well via the main battery). But the main battery is being charged at over 14v. So There is a voltage drop somewhere along the line. I don't have those issues as explained in that video. I know the issue well and did my homework before the purchase. I don't have a smart alternator. Just a standard donkey pushing out 14.2v.

So the issue is a voltage drop. Considering its a simple + and - cable running to the back via a circuit breaker it can't be too many options for going wrong. I am also running 2x batteries in parallel, that is also a potential issue i suppose. Will unplug the one and see if there is a change
    Last edited by HomeBrewer; 2019/08/19 at 04:26 PM.

Its important to realise that once the NL Solenoid operates the connection between your charging system (car battery) is simply and really just a piece of wire.

So the NL system has zero, niks, neet, nada, influence on what is happening electrically wise.

The NL unit is simply a semi-intelligent switch. It cant influence what is happening in any way whatsoever other than either being OFF or ON.

Thats it.

If you suspect a voltage drop across the NL switch, just put a DVM across it and measures it.

---------

But back to your original question. In a nutshell.

How may amps you get has nothing to do with the NL box.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2019/08/19 at 05:27 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Cool thanks.

In speaking to someonebat national luna who had been a great help, he suspects the circuit breaker. The connections on the main battwry end r all crimped properly. If its not tge breaker then it can only be those connections or the brad harrs connector in the bak.

So then havijg both batteries will not cause the voltage drop in ur opinion?

Changed out the circuit breaker. No difference in voltage....

My 2c would be to connect the DVM pos on the car battery. Connect a 5m piece of say twin flex on the neg lead and check at various points as you move the neg lead toward the aux battery. . This way you will be able to find the point where you drop the 0.4V.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

You will only notice the voltage drop under load though. With no load s measure 14.2 at the back

The other alternatie is to run another lead from the main battery to the NL box and see if there is a difference. If there is then clearly something is up with the current line running to the back.

The only other thing it could possibly be is the brad harris connector or the terminal connectors at the main battery. I couldn't find lugs that went over the posts of the main battery, even 16x12s were not big enough, so i used 16x5s. The cars main baytery connector has 5mm bolts on the side that you can connect to. But that surely cannot be the issue

With the system drawing current, just probe with a DVM until you find the problem.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    With the system drawing current, just probe with a DVM until you find the problem.
    How do you mean, sorry i dont think im following lol

So with two batteries in parallel the charging current halves and the charging time doubles. Perhaps your expectations are not in line with that?

I have the same box with one 105Ah and no problems on my side, in fact the alternator gets the aux battery up to speed quick. Have never timed it though.

Also not too sure I understand the problem, your thread would intimate that output from the box is poor? The box will only deliver what the load requires of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    So with two batteries in parallel the charging current halves and the charging time doubles. Perhaps your expectations are not in line with that?

I have the same box with one 105Ah and no problems on my side, in fact the alternator gets the aux battery up to speed quick. Have never timed it though.

Also not too sure I understand the problem, your thread would intimate that output from the box is poor? The box will only deliver what the load requires of it.
    Having two batteries is not going to reduce the amount of amps coming in. The fact is have 0.7 amps coming in. Thats the equivalent of a little trickle charger. So if i use 20 amps over night, it will take me over 10 hours of driving to recharge the next day. The system should be able to produce way more than that.

Somewhere along the line i have 0.6v dropping which is what i cant figure out. From what was explained to me from National luna the solenoid is merely a ''Smart switch'' and will have no impact on the voltage going into the battery. That is dictated by the cable and connections.

However having said that, i have already had to tighten down the positive lead on the circuit breaker after rattling lose at Tankwa Karoo corrugations. I might have to recheck that there is nothing else lose post the input brad harris on the box that is causing the voltage to drop off under load

Ok, some success

Did a voltage drop test at the fuse. Negligible. 0.01v

Did a volrage drop test between the two auxillary batteries in parallel and it came to 0.1v

Voltage now with 2 aux batteries and the brad harris replacement is around 13.8v. It struggles to maintain this with lights and AC on.

Removed the second aux battery and got 14.00/14.01v. Maintains this witg lights and AC

Ok, some success

Did a voltage drop test at the fuse. Negligible. 0.01v

Did a volrage drop test between the two auxillary batteries in parallel and it came to 0.1v

Voltage now with 2 aux batteries and the brad harris replacement is around 13.8v. It struggles to maintain this with lights and AC on.

Removed the second aux battery and got 14.00/14.01v. Maintains this witg lights and AC

Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrewer View Post
    Are you saying that with the battery at 75% charge, there is only 0.7A going into battery when driving?
    Does the NL have a display showing it or how did you measure it?
    When you do the voltage drop test, did you do it on the positive and negative cable?
    98 Hilux 2.8D D/C 4x4