New National Luna Aux Battery Box

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New National Luna Aux Battery Box

So i'm looking for a 2nd battery setup for the camping fridge to stay charged, etc. when on the road and perhaps leave in camp while roaming about. I came across this and quite like the setup. No solar requirement right now, but there will be at a later stage so this looks like it will fit the bill of requirements.

http://www.nationalluna.com/product/...ry-battery-box

Thoughts? I saw it at ODW and the build quality looked fine. Has anybody used this yet? Will need to use the solenoid function with it otherwise the D4 won't charge the aux battery or so I believe.

Then, how difficult is it to run the cable from the main battery to this box in the boot?

Lastly, any other input is welcome.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

Default Re: New National Luna Aux Battery Box

Hi, just my 2c

I had a good look at these, and they look fantastic. Then I thought OK what application here.

If I was to install this in my vehicle I would now need to install either a solenoid or a DC-DC in order to charge through the vehicle. To charge it through the box I would need to buy an NL charger and I still have no solar unless I use a separate controller and feed an input.

Why then spend so much on that box when it needs add ons. Sure it look sexy but the normal grey box actually does more for the 4x4 guy.

It is easy to wire because you just need an input, the solenoid is inside and you have your meters too. You can easily use solar by having a controller and feeding a grey input/output.

You could for a better cost use a WRND and build a box to your requirements.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Hi, just my 2c

I had a good look at these, and they look fantastic. Then I thought OK what application here.

If I was to install this in my vehicle I would now need to install either a solenoid or a DC-DC in order to charge through the vehicle. To charge it through the box I would need to buy an NL charger and I still have no solar unless I use a separate controller and feed an input.

Why then spend so much on that box when it needs add ons. Sure it look sexy but the normal grey box actually does more for the 4x4 guy.

It is easy to wire because you just need an input, the solenoid is inside and you have your meters too. You can easily use solar by having a controller and feeding a grey input/output.

Maybe have a look at the Data sheet. It contains a solenoid already, and a whole bunch of nice stuff, properly integrated.

Experience tells me never to discount the value and true costs of all the little bits and bobs we eventually land up adding to make a reliable functional syste.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Maybe have a look at the Data sheet. It contains a solenoid already, and a whole bunch of nice stuff, properly integrated.

Experience tells me never to discount the value and true costs of all the little bits and bobs we eventually land up adding to make a reliable functional syste.
    OOPS my bad, if it has the solenoid already that certainly changes the picture. Point taken, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

This is the bit I saw

Optional Extras:

• In-line Fuse holder
    • Intelligent Solenoid
    • NL5 Battery Charger
    • Additional 29mm Sockets
    • 7 metre 16mm˛ charge cable kit
    Last edited by Stranger; 2018/05/08 at 02:06 PM.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Yes, the solenoid is an added extra.

For me, the complete wiring noobie this seems like an easy enough solution.

NL Box
    NL Solenoid
    NL Batter controller
    Battery
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Yes, the solenoid is an added extra.

For me, the complete wiring noobie this seems like an easy enough solution.

NL Box
    NL Solenoid
    NL Batter controller
    Battery
    Yeah but,

add all the individual items up and the older grey box is much less expensive. All it would require would be a fused line, 2 wires, running from the crank battery to the box and plugged into the red input.

The solar requirements would be the same for both boxes.

PS, I am an NL fan
    Last edited by Stranger; 2018/05/08 at 02:28 PM.

BMW R1200R

Yeah but,

add all the individual items up and the older grey box is much less expensive. All it would require would be a fused line, 2 wires, running from the crank battery to the box and plugged into the red input.

The solar requirements would be the same for both boxes.

PS, I am an NL fan
    Is it cheaper because the solenoid/isolator is built in?

The other feature that plays a part for the black box is the layout. All plugs, etc. is on the front and not the side.

http://www.4x4direct.co.za/battery-b...ttery-box.html

Thhis is the same one? Yes. Only thing is that it kinda limits you to the NL Smart chrger! I have the older version http://www.4x4direct.co.za/battery-b...-luna-box.html and it works like a charm combined to a 12v DC-DC and 220v Smart charger!

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    http://www.4x4direct.co.za/battery-b...ttery-box.html

Thhis is the same one? Yes. Only thing is that it kinda limits you to the NL Smart chrger! I have the older version http://www.4x4direct.co.za/battery-b...-luna-box.html and it works like a charm combined to a 12v DC-DC and 220v Smart charger!
    Which dc-dc charger and 220v smart charger please?

And do you perhaps have a wiring diagram to follow?

Edit: oh, and where do you see it is limited to the NL smart charger?
    Last edited by douglash; 2018/05/08 at 02:46 PM.

Which dc-dc charger and 220v smart charger please? http://www.4x4direct.co.za/dc-to-dc-chargers/8487-dc-to-dc-charger-20amp-solar-mppt.html

And do you perhaps have a wiring diagram to follow? No need, they are included, two 10sq cables from main batt, two to aux battery. And the other two are for solar power input (Controller already part of charger)

Edit: oh, and where do you see it is limited to the NL smart charger? Look at the description: For charging from 220 volt a socket is supplied which fits the standard National Luna 5 Amp charger

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

Thanks, so to sum this up, in order to charge with no issues from my D4 to the NL aux box, all I need is:

The NL box
    The WRND charger
    Battery

+ Solar panel for later charging?

Just the NL Box and a battery in it, properly wired. Just make sure that the NL box is configured for the Disco 4
    Last edited by gavpike; 2018/05/08 at 03:16 PM.
    Gavin

Thanks, so to sum this up, in order to charge with no issues from my D4 to the NL aux box, all I need is:

The NL box
    The WRND charger
    Battery

+ Solar panel for later charging?
    Yes plus a NL 5A or other (Modify connection) smart charger for 220V charging.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gavpike View Post
    Just the NL Box and a battery in it, properly wired. Just make sure that the NL box is configured for the Disco 4
    How do you mean configured for Disco 4?

Hi, just my 2c

Agree. Good advice.

Hi, just my 2c

So, see if you agree with me on this one please?

1 x http://www.4x4direct.co.za/battery-b...-luna-box.html
    1 x http://www.4x4direct.co.za/battery-b...y-bracket.html
    1 x http://www.4x4direct.co.za/dc-to-dc-...tml?ipa=0&ins=
    1 x deep cycle battery.

Then I just need the cabling and lugs from the primary battery (with fuse inline) to the WRND Charger - from the WRND to the NL Box. Solar can then be plugged in to the WRND controller at a later stage.

What size cabling is needed and is there a easily available kit that doesn't include unnecessary extras?

How do you mean configured for Disco 4?
    NL have a specific configuration in the management system for the Disco4. The guys selling it should know about it.
    Gavin

OOPS my bad, if it has the solenoid already that certainly changes the picture. Point taken, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

This is the bit I saw

Optional Extras:

• In-line Fuse holder
    • Intelligent Solenoid
    • NL5 Battery Charger
    • Additional 29mm Sockets
    • 7 metre 16mm˛ charge cable kit
    You can add in things like USB chargers, built in Digital Voltmeter.
    It really is a nice package.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by gavpike View Post
    NL have a specific configuration in the management system for the Disco4. The guys selling it should know about it.
    Um, ya, they weren't really helpful when calling. I am getting clearer information here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    You can add in things like USB chargers, built in Digital Voltmeter.
    It really is a nice package.
    Why you throwing spanners in the works Keith?

Please check my earlier post where I linked to the items on 4x4 direct and comment. I'm stoopid with this stuff.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast