Shipping trailer to SA




Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    48
    Posts
    52
    Thanked: 9

    Default Shipping trailer to SA

    Dear,

    In 2016 we did a road trip from Jo'burg to Kasane. I had a lot of help from this forum when preparing the trip. Based on what we've seen on the road, I've build my own camping trailer last year. This year we're going to Norway with the trailer, but would it be possible to go to southern Africa in 2019? So I've started dreaming ...

    I don't think it will be difficult to ship this trailer to Capetown. The goal would be to tour southern Africa during 3 or 4 summers (3 weeks in July or August) (e.g. South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, ...). Afterwards the trailer will have to shipped back to Europe. I'm aware that I won't be able to drive this trailer through heavy sand but I guess there are other roads more suited.

    - Will I be allowed to tow this trailer locally?
    - Will I be able to rent a car to tow a trailer of 1.500 kg?
    - Will I find secure storage for 11 months so I can leave the trailer at the storage site and return the next year to continue my trip (so each year I will have to find another secure storage location)?
    - Are there any modifications necessary compared to a European trailer?

    So a lot of questions, just to know if this will remain a dream or that it might be possible.

    Ivan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hartbeespoort
    Age
    43
    Posts
    159
    Thanked: 31

    Default Re: Shipping trailer to SA

    The trailer looks awesome and surely fits your needs.
    However when calculating costs of shipping import permits storage etc. it might be better to rent a local trailer or Camper for the period you are touring.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,334
    Thanked: 274

    Default Re: Shipping trailer to SA

    To start off with, I do not think you can bring a foreign registered vehicle to SA for so long on a Carnet, you will most probably have to register it here, which means you will have to do roadworthy and type approval, which will be difficult as it is home built.
    On the trailer itself, gravel travel will damage the bicycles where they are shown. Off-road will be a no-no, the rear is too low for example and will drag at every imagineable crossing of donga or gully.
    I agree with the view that it will be better to hire locally.
    '89 LR 110 V8

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,204
    Thanked: 35

    Default Re: Shipping trailer to SA

    Subscribed

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    48
    Posts
    52
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: Shipping trailer to SA

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    I agree with the view that it will be better to hire locally.
    Tx for the advice.

    I've build the trailer for European weather (that's why I used hard shells instead of tents to be more waterproof). But the outdoors in Western Europe cannot be compared to southern Africa. That's why I had this crazy idea. But I'll stick to your advice.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,783
    Thanked: 168

    Default Re: Shipping trailer to SA

    I don't disagree the advice given, and only add the following for your information. SA builds to the same EU standard and the coupler and brakes are the same as we use. It appears as if you have used a rubber torsion axle. You could lift this without too much trouble and also remove the rear underride protection in order to increase the departure angle. The trailers I send to Europe need to have this additional rear bar fitted to satisfy the underride requirement.

    You can easily find a place to store your trailer for months on end, there are many secure units with carparks that will charge you about R800 a month. Local trailer will possibly be more bush ready/friendly.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Belgium
    Age
    48
    Posts
    52
    Thanked: 9

    Default Re: Shipping trailer to SA

    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Modricky View Post
    You can easily find a place to store your trailer for months on end, there are many secure units with carparks that will charge you about R800 a month. Local trailer will possibly be more bush ready/friendly.

    • Will you also find carparks in Namibia or Botswana for long term parking?
    • Will I be allowed to bring a trailer that will stay for 3 or 4 years? Or will it has to be registered in SA? In Europe I have to have the trailer checked each year because it has a weight of 1500 kg.
    • I'm aware that I will have to modify the suspension and that it won't be able to drive through deep sand as we did in some parts in Botswana. But I guess that most parts have better roads, or not?
    • I didn't plan to bring my bikes.


    Heinz, if I made up my mind to ship it for a couple of years to SA, can I send you a PM? It seems to me that you have the proper know-how and experience for shipping and exporting trailers (whereas this will be importing :-)

    Ivan

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,783
    Thanked: 168

    Default Re: Shipping trailer to SA

    There is a forum member here that specialises in imports/exports of vehicles and will give you the exact advice. Please email me on [email protected] and I will forward his details to you.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Jo'burg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    3
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Shipping trailer to SA

    We are living in Johannesburg and need to go back to Europe.
    We want to leave our 4x4 and drive this back to north/Middle Africa or even Europe in (smaller) bits every year.
    We are struggling a bit with questions about documents, insurance and all these practical questions. Do you know anything about that and have some time to give/share ideas/information ??
    Thanks very much,


    Myrthe Bax-Nellensteijn
    0820859733
    [email protected]
    Quote Originally Posted by rubbens16 View Post
    • Will you also find carparks in Namibia or Botswana for long term parking?
    • Will I be allowed to bring a trailer that will stay for 3 or 4 years? Or will it has to be registered in SA? In Europe I have to have the trailer checked each year because it has a weight of 1500 kg.
    • I'm aware that I will have to modify the suspension and that it won't be able to drive through deep sand as we did in some parts in Botswana. But I guess that most parts have better roads, or not?
    • I didn't plan to bring my bikes.


    Heinz, if I made up my mind to ship it for a couple of years to SA, can I send you a PM? It seems to me that you have the proper know-how and experience for shipping and exporting trailers (whereas this will be importing :-)

    Ivan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •