Tyres for overland journey. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Tyres for overland journey.

If your tyres do not need replacement, just keep them.

I did an entire trip through Nam on some rocky stretches on H?T tyres, not one puncture.

Last year the Amarok accompanying us on our Botswana trip had standard Contis - no punctures.

Sure, A/Ts are better, but no need to replace your tyres unless you are really doing some really bad roads. Rather save the money or get some other nice things. Then, when your Contis are finished, fit some decent ATs.

Thats my 2cents.
    Stephan
    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

I recently fitted a set of GY Wrangler AT SA with "Kevlar" 265/75/15 I've only done 3000Km so far but I am very happy with them. About 1000km was on bad roads in Swaziland and Moz
    Good value for money. They are quiet on tar and so far seem to have plenty of grip off road.
    Being 15 inch, I have a lot of sidewall to play with when off road, so may have a different experience than a larger rim size tyre.

The Gabrial Safari shocks that I fitted however are ###, but that's another thread....maybe

Quote Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
    Yeah that is my way of thinking too. Might just as well save the money for other expenses and if a tyre is damaged I can buy one from the nearest big town and replace.
    I know it is probably more dangerous, but what the hell. Its an adventure anyway
    This.

Replace when you need to. Until then just use what you have save $$$ for fuel and experiences along the way.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

For off the tarred road there is only one - BFG AT, the new ones are even better. And I have tried LOTS of different AT's on various vehicles (actually come to think of it almost everything on the market, 4x4, overlanding, bad farm roads, MOUNTAINS with no roads, totalling 500k kms + over last 10yrs), nothing comes close for grip, braking, puncture resistance, longevity, handle HEAVY loads even at low pressures, run cool, comfort levels, quiet on tar and I challenge someone to proof that the new ones (and the old ones!!!) are slippery on wet tar. Seriously dude, you have to be kidding me? Just go off the beaten track in Namibia and Zambia - there is a reason why game rangers, farmers, mining and construction guys run BFG's, some actually prefer the muds - understand they give more kilos than the AT's in extreme temp high speed always low pressure heavy loads off-road use. For normal overland use you can't guy wrong.
    '01 Isuzu Frontier 280 4x4
    63mm Bosal downpipe/Powerflow freeflow exhaust system
    2"lift
    Rancho S9000 adjustable front shocks
    Camil coil-over rear shocks
    TJM alu front bumper
    Madman EGT/water level monitor
    Extreme Lights Night Raider LED spots
    BFG KO2 AT 235/85/16

Quote Originally Posted by Snoekie1 View Post
    For off the tarred road there is only one - BFG AT, the new ones are even better. And I have tried LOTS of different AT's on various vehicles (actually come to think of it almost everything on the market, 4x4, overlanding, bad farm roads, MOUNTAINS with no roads, totalling 500k kms + over last 10yrs), nothing comes close for grip, braking, puncture resistance, longevity, handle HEAVY loads even at low pressures, run cool, comfort levels, quiet on tar and I challenge someone to proof that the new ones (and the old ones!!!) are slippery on wet tar. Seriously dude, you have to be kidding me? Just go off the beaten track in Namibia and Zambia - there is a reason why game rangers, farmers, mining and construction guys run BFG's, some actually prefer the muds - understand they give more kilos than the AT's in extreme temp high speed always low pressure heavy loads off-road use. For normal overland use you can't guy wrong.
    aaaand I'm going to go fetch some popcorn...
    "Meerkat"
    08' 3.2did Pajero Gls -minor mods
    06' V6 Colt with some personal touches
    ex - modded Disco2 V8
    ex - modded RRC V8
    ex - modded 130 300tdi
    ex - modded SWB Pajero V6
    ex - modded Mitsu Delica tdi
    ex - Modded DC Hilux 4Y

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    aaaand I'm going to go fetch some popcorn...

I am going out right now and get me a set of these miracle tyres!!!!

Every one in Nam should be driving BFG's
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    I am going out right now and get me a set of these miracle tyres!!!!

Every one in Nam should be driving BFG's
    These will make your Touareg unstoppable...
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogaards For This Useful Post:

Only reason I would fit BFG KO2 is the looks. In all my research I have found about a 50/50 split that they are either great or useless.
    But at double the price for other ATs like the Wrangler AT with Kevlar I just can't justify it.
    2006 Ford Ranger 4000 V6 - Sold
    1990 Honda Ballade 160i - Sold
    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL 4x4 double cab
    Built Ford Tough.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4xFord For This Useful Post:

I don't put 2SO in my diesel though
    '01 Isuzu Frontier 280 4x4
    63mm Bosal downpipe/Powerflow freeflow exhaust system
    2"lift
    Rancho S9000 adjustable front shocks
    Camil coil-over rear shocks
    TJM alu front bumper
    Madman EGT/water level monitor
    Extreme Lights Night Raider LED spots
    BFG KO2 AT 235/85/16

I run two vehicles with TA's and KO2's respectively.
    Wrt driving comfort and road holding I absolutely hate the first mentioned.
    The latter is much better in this regard.
    But Ive lost a KO2 with less than 3000km on the clock just a few weeks ago.
    It was written off due to a double puncture in the middle of the tread that tore the steel whatever inside.
    Could not believe my eyes and ears but had to accept expert advice and bought a new replacement in Windhoek.
    The 2's are softer and have excellent grip but will obviously not give a lot of mileage so its an expensive option.
    However they are definitely not the alpha and the omega.
    There are just as good if not better tyres available on the market for much less moolah.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Quote Originally Posted by Snoekie1 View Post
    ...Just go off the beaten track in Namibia and Zambia - there is a reason why game rangers, farmers, mining and construction guys run BFG's, some actually prefer the muds - understand they give more kilos than the AT's in extreme temp high speed always low pressure heavy loads off-road use. For normal overland use you can't guy wrong.
    I still have to find all those game rangers, farmers, mining and construction guys running BFG tyres in Namibia...
    A lot of farmers in the Outjo / Kamanjab area have changed to Nankang tyres some 15 years ago, seeing that they gave the same mileage on gravel roads and got less punctures.
    Khomas Hochland farmers at one stage preferred Michelin. Mining companies around Swakopmund were hugely disappointed with the new KO2, changed to Grabbers among others.
    Wilderness Safaris in Namibia changed from BFG to Coopers over 10 years ago.
    When driving in soft dune sand, the BFGs are known to come off the rim easily due to the stiff sidewall. Maybe the newer KO2 are better.
    In the past 20 years I have driven Dunlop SP, Michelin LTX, Nankang FT7 & Mudstar, Firestone Wilderness & Destination AT, BFG and Cooper ST Maxx. Only once did I have a sidewall puncture on the Firestone Wilderness from a thorn after driving on a farm offroad. With an old set of Michelins I had a shoulder puncture, but the tyres were already starting to become brittle due to age.
    Otherwise, punctures were due to glass & screws and happened on tar or my driveway.
    Together with the Wilderness tyres, the BF KO AT tyres were the worst set of tyres I have used, noisy like an MT, less grip on wet & dry roads than any of the others, less grip on gravel & off road than the FS Destination AT and harsh ride.

But maybe it's a totally different story in Zambia, I wouldn't know. I just haven't seen a lot of BFG tyres in Gabon, Djibouti and Tanzania so far either.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

And the blokes on the stations in the Aussie Outback swear by Kelly Safari TSR tyres - a type of Goodyear I think. No BFGs, no Coopers and no Mickeys.

My 2-cents worth: I was surprised to see the factory-fitted Contis 'Cross Contact' on my Ranger 3,2, showing serious wear at less than 30k; will probably have to be replaced soon. Whilst they were still fairly new, we did a long and very rough trip through kaokoland and not a single problem (very rocky stretches and very sandy in riverbeds). Now just returned from Moremi and had a sidewall puncture in the right rear; couldn't repair and had to fit the - still brand new - spare. It just means that anything can happen anytime, but I do think the Contis' sidewalls are very thin and that's a problem when deflating. So thanks to all, I've taken note of all opinions expressed here but just want to ask: On the Jeep I had before the Ranger, I fitted Kumho KL78 ATs and used them for more than 70k, and NOT ONE puncture, sidewall or otherwise, in all that time and several trips through Botswana, Namibia, Richtersveld etc. So at the moment that would be my choice for replacing the Contis when the time comes......anybody else using those?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2