Do you leave Auto in Drive at robot - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Do you leave Auto in Drive at robot

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    A driver needs to unlearn a lot of nonsense from the K53 in order to be a better driver.
    That is for sure. I did my 08 before K53 came in and I did my 14 in 2002. What a mess it made of my driving style. I'm still trying to work some of those habits out of my system.

I've only driven an auto for just over a year and this question bugged me. I too didn't like the 'feel' leaving it in D on an incline. I guess all those years of driving a manual made me think I was 'riding the clutch'..
    I have been shifting to N for most longer traffic lights and stops.

Just did some research and this article makes a lot of sense so I may well change my habits and keep it in D

"The transmission clutch plates wears with each shift from D to N, and back to D. The friction from shifting between also heats up the clutch plates resulting in dirtier transmission oil which causes other component failures."

https://carput.my/which-gear-is-right-at-a-traffic-light-drive-neutral-or-park/

Last edited by xdoomx; 2018/05/15 at 05:49 PM.
    - Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2014 (Cooper Discover P285/70/17 // Mickey Thompson Sidewinder II's // Teraflex 2" levelling kit // Renegade front/rear steel bumpers)
    - (SOLD 2017/03) Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 XLE 4x2 Manual 2005 (Falken Landair 31/10.5/15)

Quote Originally Posted by biltong View Post
    IMHO, you don't ever take any car out of gear in a traffic situation. Anything can happen and if you cannot apply power in that instance and it is need in life and death, then you have the short end of the stick.

Obviously, no hand brake either when in traffic..

Both my Mercedes Auto and the Passat DSG have Auto Hold functions and it is used at every stop.

If I drive an auto without it, I keep my foot on the brake. Surely not super convenient, but you have full control over the car.

Same with my Landy. Manual box, and the clutch is not feather light, so after a while one does get tempted to slip it in Neutral. But it has to be a cold day in hell for that to happen...

Absolutely.... I was caught in just that situation... a car full of bandits cut in front of me at a traffic light and these guys jumped out with guns. I floored the accelerator of my Xtrail over the pavement and disappeared. Their car was jammed in by the car in front of me and the pavement.

Keep the vehicle in gear. It's the right thing to do....

BTW does anyone else battle to type in these replies

Here is a link to a thread with an "Advertorial" where the expert advises to never put the box in N at a robot.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...2&share_type=t
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2018/05/17 at 10:01 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4