Limpopo Crossing at Pafuri

Default Limpopo Crossing at Pafuri

Hi there. We are planning to cross the Limpopo end of June at Pafuri on our way to Ghonarezou in Zim. Two of our party have trailers. Just checking - is it possible to do the crossing with trailers? If not, or if the river is in flood, does the ferry at Mapai run daily?

Thanks
    Yvette

Default Re: Limpopo Crossing at Pafuri

We've crossed with a trailer loaded with 3 quads before, no problem. Guess it depends on recent rains and flow though

Great. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fiveyoungs View Post
    Hi there. We are planning to cross the Limpopo end of June at Pafuri on our way to Ghonarezou in Zim. Two of our party have trailers. Just checking - is it possible to do the crossing with trailers? If not, or if the river is in flood, does the ferry at Mapai run daily?

Thanks
    Yvette
    June levels prob too high.
    Phone Silva on +258 86 765 4898 - he operates the ferry and can tell you river levels... pricey though R800 or more for 1 vehicle... but do haggle.
    It'd be much quicker via Beit Bridge tho.One border instead of 2 and I hear Beit bridge much easier recentl... roadblocks mostly gone.

I've heard via second hand source that the Pafuri crossing is already open. Contact the Pafuri border post for details closer to your departure date.

Quote Originally Posted by fiveyoungs View Post

Thanks
    Yvette
    HI

We are crossing on the 19th July,did you have any problems?

Hi all there,
    one year later, my question is nearly the same as the thread started:
    We would like to cross the Limpoop at Pafuri to shortcut from Punda Maria to Sango Border Post. Our trip will be mid August, we have done this once already in July 2011, but I wouldn't do again with the same amount of water. What is your experience on crossings in August? I know the water levels can hardly be predicted...

Any help is welcome - many thanks in advance!
    Dietmar

Quote Originally Posted by Puch View Post
    Hi all there,
    one year later, my question is nearly the same as the thread started:
    We would like to cross the Limpoop at Pafuri to shortcut from Punda Maria to Sango Border Post. Our trip will be mid August, we have done this once already in July 2011, but I wouldn't do again with the same amount of water. What is your experience on crossings in August? I know the water levels can hardly be predicted...

Any help is welcome - many thanks in advance!
    Dietmar
    We'll be crossing in September and I don't expect any water if you look at the Water Affairs website http://www.dwaf.gov.za/Hydrology/Unv...aFlowInfo.aspx you will note zero flow at Pafuri and Beit Bridge. The 8.34m at Pafuri was the same reading we had when we crossed October last year and there was no water. The chances of us having any rain between now and August that could have any meaningful impact is extremely slim.