Richtersveld - never been before - assistance please?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Richtersveld - never been before - assistance please?

Morning all.
    Two of us have a gap in mid-November for 10 days travelling from Somerset West and we'd love to do the Richtersveld. Will be driving a Fortuner and pulling a small offroad trailer.
    Would really appreciate your suggestions of the best recommended route, overnights and definites that need to go along.
    Looking forward to hearing your insights...

Default Re: Richtersveld - never been before - assistance please?

Strictly speaking, Richtersveld is Northern Cape, and not so much Namibia.

However, its well worth your while to cross into Namibia at Alexander bay, visit Oranjemund with the Gemsbokke grazing along the pavements and the parks, and then drive all along the Northern bank of the Orange to Noordoewer.

Buy the latest GO Magazine. Lot of information for you to read

My suggestion

Five to six days in the park itself will be more than enough. So you can spend a bit of time on the journey up and down or cross the river with the ferry into Namibia for a quick visit to Aus and Luderitz in the west or perhaps the Fish River Canyon and Ai Ais to the east.

Drive up along the West Coast to Port Nolloth and stay there the night before you enter the park. You will then have enough time to drive to the park, book in and register at Sendelingsdrif and get to your camping site.

Book at least two nights each at De Hoop and at Richtersberg, both camps are next to the river, allowing you to cool down if it is hot. Sendelingsdrif is too busy and noisy for my liking. There is a small shop and fuel at Sendelingsdrif and a nursery run by one of the park rangers. There is basic ablutions at De Hoop, the last time I visited Richtersberg was about 18 years ago, I don't know if there are facilities there. When we stayed there there was nothing, we were the only visitors camping there in the middle of the June school holidays. Times have certainly changed.

I will visit the other camps such as Kokerboomkloof during day drives and then exit the camp by way of the Helskloof Pass. You can also consider passing through and stay over in the rest of the Richtersveld that lies outside and to the south of the National Park. Eksteenfontein, Lekkersing and Kuboes. The roads outside the park are heavily corrugated and takes time to travel.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Merwe Erasmus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher Boy View Post
    Agreed great article.

De Hoop is off course a favorite.

Great route for me is (This will be my next trip to Richtersveld if I do not plan to enter Namibia
    Enter park and go to Sendelingsdrift to the reception to check in.
    One night at Potjiespram.
    Next day over halfmens pas (stopping at hand of god) then akkedis pass, to De hoop. Two or more nights here if you are equipped.
    Then Domorogh pass (quite steep and high clearance required) down to one of the southern campsites (Richtersberg or kokerboomkloof or Both ) for a night or two, once again if you are equipped to spend such a long time without electricity or drinking water.

But there are other great campsites as well.

Whatever route you take, enjoy it, its a magical place!
    FORD Ranger XL Plus
    Conqueror Courage

We enjoy the absolute silence and isolation of Kokerboomkloof, but Nov might be a bit hot to be away from the river.

I think one of the ablution blocks was washed away a few years ago at Richtersberg but there is still one as far as I know. Richtrersberg is great if you are the only ones there and can camp right down next to the river.

De Hoop is quite popular but you are able to spread out along the river bank.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

Did Richterveld in June/July 2016 and can't wait to go back.

Took the N7 up to Vioolsdrif and took the dirt road just before the borderpost, spending a night at Fiddlers Creek - a great stop.
    Continued the next day passing through Eksteenfontein and then followed a t4a 4x4 route to spend the night at Tierhoek. This is an absolute must!
    Following that, a quick visit to Kuboes and wondergat and then onto Sendelingsdrif, checking in at the SAN Parks part.
    Spent a night at Potjiespram, De Hoop, Richtersberg and Kokerboomkloof and then headed back to Springbok via Lekkersing.
    The absolute highlights are definately De Hoop, where I would spend at least 2 nights next time around and Tierhoek.
    I was prepared for serious terrain and tyre damage and my rig looked like I was heading towards Camel trophy, but I was surprised at how relatively tame it was.
    Had to do a bit of 4wheeling but nothing serious. The tuner will cope just fine and as long as that trailer has good ground clearance there should be no hasle.

Fuel was available at Steinkopf and then only again at Sendelingdrif, but i would recommend taking additional fuel as the it seemed that the supply at sendelingsdrif isn't guaranteed.
    The camps inside the SAN Parks section all have basic ablution facilities with the ones along the river being supplied by riverwater pumped via solar pumps, but ensure you take all supplies to be 100% self sufficient including water as I dont think the water supply is guaranteed.
    Tierhoek is under the community conservancy and booking for it is very difficult, as you need to get a hold of someone in Eksteenfontein to do so.

Overall the Richtersveld is absolutely stunning and I highly recommend it.

I would also suggest extending the route as mentioned in the previous post to include the very soutern part of Namibia and perhaps even to spend a night at Ais Ais.

Good luck with this lekke trip

The attached picture is myself and my dad at Potjiespram...
    One good thing about music: when it hits you, you feel no pain...

Drove from Sendelingsdrift to Alexander Bay in May 2017, the worst dirt road I hav ever travelled on. Best to cross over to Oranjamund and drive the tar road to Rosh Pinah and come back with the pont to Sendlingsdrift. Rosh Pinah to Sendlingsdrift stunning scenery

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredwb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandjan View Post
    Strictly speaking, Richtersveld is Northern Cape, and not so much Namibia.

However, its well worth your while to cross into Namibia at Alexander bay, visit Oranjemund with the Gemsbokke grazing along the pavements and the parks, and then drive all along the Northern bank of the Orange to Noordoewer.
    Sandjan - appreciated. So focusing on the RSA side?

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher Boy View Post
    ...off to the shops today, will definitely have a look, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fredwb View Post
    Drove from Sendelingsdrift to Alexander Bay in May 2017, the worst dirt road I hav ever travelled on. Best to cross over to Oranjamund and drive the tar road to Rosh Pinah and come back with the pont to Sendlingsdrift. Rosh Pinah to Sendlingsdrift stunning scenery
    Thanks Fred, will rather consider that route....used to have family in Oranjemund.

Thanks to all so far - will chase up the info, set up the itinerary and ask for comments please....?

Map with distances
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

My beste kennis is diť oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150.
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gaitshi Gubib For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaitshi Gubib View Post
    Map with distances
    Just note that the track from junction R6 to R11 is a very difficult track to drive- especailly with a trailer-,it is literally driving on a very rocky dry river-bed, with a few very hairy turns around large rocks which may leave a few scratches/dings on your vehicle if not very careful

-so you may have to take the long way round to Richtersberg/Tatasberg via R6,R7,R16,R17,R12.

The official may actually scratch this R6-R11 track off the map as not permitted, as was the case a few years ago.
    ( we were late, and decided to ignore the warnings, and drove this track-very lucky to get through unscathed!

Enjoy-it is indeed a very special place!
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick L For This Useful Post:

There is WAY more to the area than just the park.

Fluorspar Valley is worth a visit.

Staying a night at the Koboes guesthouse to support the locals and see the area is also a great trip.

Seeing the petroglphs outside the park is also a great sight.

Use T4A to plan your route.

We stayed at the Okiep Country Lodge (which is great!) and did the tour around town of the pump house and old copper mine works.

The went to Steinkopf, turned left drove down the pass (also great) and then turned right. Onto the dirt tracks.

If I was to do the trip again, I would head on up to Violsdrift, then turn left to drive through the southern part of the conservancy, camping along the way. Here is an updated comprehensive list of campsites which fall outside the park and well worth a visit.

https://www.richtersveld-conservancy..._campsites.pdf

Otherwise I see you are in Somerset West, we can hook up for a drink at Proof in town and we can discuss routes and things. Drop me a PM if you are keen or send me your cell and I can call you to chat.
    Last edited by Slowones; 2018/05/07 at 09:33 AM.

... yes, this map shows more than just the park
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

My beste kennis is diť oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150.
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaitshi Gubib For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chong View Post
    Did Richterveld in June/July 2016 and can't wait to go back.

Took the N7 up to Vioolsdrif and took the dirt road just before the borderpost, spending a night at Fiddlers Creek - a great stop.
    Continued the next day passing through Eksteenfontein and then followed a t4a 4x4 route to spend the night at Tierhoek. This is an absolute must!
    Following that, a quick visit to Kuboes and wondergat and then onto Sendelingsdrif, checking in at the SAN Parks part.
    Spent a night at Potjiespram, De Hoop, Richtersberg and Kokerboomkloof and then headed back to Springbok via Lekkersing.
    The absolute highlights are definately De Hoop, where I would spend at least 2 nights next time around and Tierhoek.
    I was prepared for serious terrain and tyre damage and my rig looked like I was heading towards Camel trophy, but I was surprised at how relatively tame it was.
    Had to do a bit of 4wheeling but nothing serious. The tuner will cope just fine and as long as that trailer has good ground clearance there should be no hasle.

Fuel was available at Steinkopf and then only again at Sendelingdrif, but i would recommend taking additional fuel as the it seemed that the supply at sendelingsdrif isn't guaranteed.
    The camps inside the SAN Parks section all have basic ablution facilities with the ones along the river being supplied by riverwater pumped via solar pumps, but ensure you take all supplies to be 100% self sufficient including water as I dont think the water supply is guaranteed.
    Tierhoek is under the community conservancy and booking for it is very difficult, as you need to get a hold of someone in Eksteenfontein to do so.

Overall the Richtersveld is absolutely stunning and I highly recommend it.

I would also suggest extending the route as mentioned in the previous post to include the very soutern part of Namibia and perhaps even to spend a night at Ais Ais.

Good luck with this lekke trip

The attached picture is myself and my dad at Potjiespram...
    Hi Chong

Iím planning a trip up to the Richtersveld in July and Iím looking at options for the route up. You mention Tierhoek but I canít seem to find it on any website or forum. Are you able to supply me with any additional information please?

Regards

Scanned from 4x4 Routes Through Southern Africa - Philip Sackwell-Scott
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2018/05/17 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Deleted - scanned file will not display
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Tierhoek co-ords:
    28 37 15 S
    17 03 00 E

Within Richtersveld Community Conservancy north-west of Eksteenfontein

Ref.: 4x4 Routes Through Southern Africa - Philip Sackwell-Scott
    Excellent book by the way: Received as a gift from TerryC on my last birthday.
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2018/05/17 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Adding book info.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

I dug up my T4A route that I followed and attached a screenshot of that section with the T4A information for Tierhoek. I took a detour from the main dirt road coming from Eksteenfontein which took a bit longer but it was well worth it!

Let me know if you want my Garmin waypoints file (.gpx) for this route (you will need T4A maps though).

I also included some photographic motivation why you should include Tierhoek in your route .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast