Zambia and Zimbabwe border crossings ( INTERPOL ) - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Zambia and Zimbabwe border crossings ( INTERPOL )

Thank you, maybe it is a requirement for SA registered vehicles only as mentioned.

Strange as the interpol documentation I usually see is on Interpol headed paper.

Would be interesting to hear from someone else who ha recently been through that border.

cheers

We always get an interpol clearance cert when going into Zambia or Zimbabwe. Its part ot the docs required, but our we get at the interpol offices and the look different and have the interpol letterhead etc.

Not sure where to get it in SA though. The doc is normally valid for 3months, but I have asked for 6months before and they gave ir without any issues
    Nissan Patrol 4.2 (Pa se speelding )
    3Lt Hardbody D/C, prefer to be called "Skillie". (SWAMBO's town trokkie)
    307 Peugeot, (Spare)

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewMo View Post
    We always get an interpol clearance cert when going into Zambia or Zimbabwe. Its part ot the docs required, but our we get at the interpol offices and the look different and have the interpol letterhead etc.

Not sure where to get it in SA though. The doc is normally valid for 3months, but I have asked for 6months before and they gave ir without any issues
    Yes , the document you mean is the police clearance certificate. It has been around for donkeys, It states that the vehicle has not been reported as stolen. But the 'stolen vehicle status ' certificate is a new one to me ...

I smell a rat...
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2018/05/06 at 11:59 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    ..... the 'stolen vehicle status ' certificate is a new one to me ...

I smell a rat...
    Ja, I reserve comment on this until there is more definitive info. Thanks for the heads up though, before our next trip I will check with our local police vehicle clearance dept.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

I wonder if this Interpol clearance certificate is only needed for vehicles registered in the SADAC countries? We will be entering Zambia from Tanzania (and back from Namibia) in our Kenyan registered Land Rover. We are, however, travelling with a Carnet for the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Ja, I reserve comment on this until there is more definitive info. Thanks for the heads up though, before our next trip I will check with our local police vehicle clearance dept.
    Stan, I have one of the Chirundu interpol cops on the Zim side on my whatsapp, he showed me the exact same "not stolen" sheet last year.

But he let me through on my own "made up" piece of paper.

I carefully read your description from before and did my best to explain it to the officer at the Hermanus vehicle theft "unit". ( a clueless one man show in a corner)

This Hermanus officer probably travelled by train to and from police college in 1980 , has never crossed ANY border and probably never travelled further from Hermanus than Caledon, yet proceeded to lecture me on Zimbabwe and Mozambique requirements for cars, and I had to get new micro dots again and the "export" PC certificate ..which clearly was not required.

Realizing that he had no clue, and despite my best efforts to explain what the requirement was, I simply went home.

Then typed out a document saying the vehicle is not stolen, and then took it to my local station and told them I want to make this home produced document a sworn statement. So I got lots of official police stamps on the bit of paper, and off I went to Zim.

I did the same for my friend who was travelling with us.

We entered at Plumtree ( obviously no PC required) and left Zim at Chirundu. My Zim interpol aquintance told me that my paper was not 100% correct, but he let me through anyway. On the Zam side they tried to be clever, but the Zim Interpol stamps were already on the paper, so they could not argue too much.

After Lusaka, I went back via Chirundu to Mana, and then through again to Livingstone and finally left Zambia at Wenela.

Last year was no differrent from any previous year(PC wise). I crossed into Zim as follows :
    Once at Plumtree, once at Pandamatenga, at Chirundu twice out of Zim and once in, and also across the Vic falls bridge.

Chirundu and Kariba are the only 2 places where they ever asked me for PC's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandjan View Post
    Chirundu and Kariba are the only 2 places where they ever asked me for PC's.
    Thanks Sandjan. It appears that Interpol clearance has only usually been asked for, over time, at Chirundu and Kariba. However there have also been similar requests at the 2 border posts between Zimbabwe and Mozambique. I have never been asked for these at any other Zimbabwe or Zambian post over the years.

I will note the possible new forms and go into it in more detail before our next trip to the area.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Last year when asked for my police clearance at the zim side of kariba I produced the 'police clearance' given to me. They were not impressed and also said they wanted that form.
    Thanks for posting it so we can show the police at the testing ground what they require in Zim. We didn't need to show it at kazungula.
    Pieter

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Schimper View Post
    How do they know that the vehicle is paid or still on finance with a bank. If you say it is yours do need to proof it and how do you do this.
    On your registration paper there is registered owner and title holder - if the car is still being financed the title holder is the Finance House - that is how they will know.

Quote Originally Posted by FransBR View Post
    I am not sure if this topic has been seen lately. but I had the pleasure of spending hours with two "INTERPOL" guys at the Chirundu shared border post, where both the Zambian and Zimbabwean officials sit at the same desk. Apart from all the normal certified copies , passports etc , they required one more document. My understanding was that a Police "clearance " or "verification" certificate will be required...well not so.....they wanted this :

• Stolen Status Clearance Slip

Forgive me if I should have known this,but I did not. I attach an image of what they insisted I must produce .Hope it helps other travellers
    Does anyone know where one gets one of these forms - Langlaagte or a Police Station? Thanks for the tip - we're driving to Kenya in July/August

Quote Originally Posted by FransBR View Post
    I am not sure if this topic has been seen lately. but I had the pleasure of spending hours with two "INTERPOL" guys at the Chirundu shared border post, where both the Zambian and Zimbabwean officials sit at the same desk. Apart from all the normal certified copies , passports etc , they required one more document. My understanding was that a Police "clearance " or "verification" certificate will be required...well not so.....they wanted this :

• Stolen Status Clearance Slip

Forgive me if I should have known this,but I did not. I attach an image of what they insisted I must produce .Hope it helps other travellers
    I have just been to Langlaagte testing station in Jhb to get that exact piece of paper. It doesn't take long literally 5 min. At Langlaagte go to office 2 on the side where they do road worthies with your vehicle and the registration certificate RC1. The guy fills in the form checks a number on the chassis and its done. They call it a visiting clearance. Hope this helps.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DonaldWA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldWA View Post
    I have just been to Langlaagte testing station in Jhb to get that exact piece of paper. It doesn't take long literally 5 min. At Langlaagte go to office 2 on the side where they do road worthies with your vehicle and the registration certificate RC1. The guy fills in the form checks a number on the chassis and its done. They call it a visiting clearance. Hope this helps.
    And where do you get such a document when you are not physically in SA ? Car stored in Botswana and not really wanting to drive up all the way to SA first and then to head of to Zambia.
    Anyone knows ? The validity of 3 months isn't that long ...
    Justt curious, because that situation will apply for us end of the year.

Hi all. For those living around JHB and PTA.I was at Watloo last week, showed them the required document ,got told not to tell them how to do their job, only issued me with a non specific ENATIS printout. Was at Langlaagte today-power off most of the day, one of the officers eventually gave me this adress:41 Guy Gibson Ave, Aeroton. On the desk of W/O MUHALI there is a whole pile of these forms. Needless to say got helped very efficiently in a clean office with no touts around. I told the warrant officer that I am going to post this to the community--he said no problem, but remember I like chocolates(which is very obvious), so please if anyone makes use of this office take a slab with if you feel like it as token of appreciation and to make things easier for fellow forumites in the future(just remember he never asked/expected anything from me)Good luck and I hope this helps. Now I need to contact Watloo station commander to find out why this cannot be done in PTA .Centurion no longer has police on site.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to erasmusdries For This Useful Post:

Many thanks to DonaldWA for your info. Frank went to Langlaagte Police station yesterday, to Office 2, ignoring the touts and came out in a jiffy with the Police clearance piece of paper!!

Micro-dotting only needed if you are immigrating and taking the vehicle with you; therefore not necessary for travelling to, and returning from neighbouring countries.
    1999 Isuzu Trooper - The Truck
    2002 Landcruiser 105 - The Grey Nomad

18. The Following User Says Thank You to trooper For This Useful Post:

Just done the Police Vehicle Verification Certificate at the Cape Town Police Vehicle Inspection depot in Stikland. Was issued with a 4 page computer printout stamped and signed by police. Hope this works.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Your 4 page document is not going to work too well. Went from Zambia to Zimbabwe at Chirundu last month with the same document. Took a long time to finally get them to let me through. They also wanted to see a certified copy of my vehicle registration document. Kept on about the word "enquiry" on the last page, They said an enquiry was not proof. They were only interested in the document in post #1.
    Pete

ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA

2002 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3.0

Yhanks. Langlaagte not so far from us.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Quote Originally Posted by witklipbank View Post
    Yhanks. Langlaagte not so far from us.
    Some more thoughts on this, Elize.
    You may need to use the SAPS office at the testing ground where your vehicle is registered.
    So, Langlaagte for Joburg and Randburg registered cars. They asked for the vehicle registration papers. I also had my ID and proof of residential address with me, but they did not ask for them.
    I am very grateful for the advice given by DonaldWA to go to counter/office 2 as it could have been very confusing and there are 100s of touts milling around. Not for the faint-hearted. Once you are in the right place, it is very quick.
    I also think that this stolen status form will have no expiry date as long as you are the registered owner. Nothing can change, so it is worth holding on to it.
    Regards
    Frank
    1999 Isuzu Trooper - The Truck
    2002 Landcruiser 105 - The Grey Nomad

Agree with Pete on this one.....this clearance document was not good enough for Interpol at Chirundu.....ended up with a bribe of $20 to each Interpol "official"....hated to pay...but there was no way out....

QUOTE=petewill;3944870]Your 4 page document is not going to work too well. Went from Zambia to Zimbabwe at Chirundu last month with the same document. Took a long time to finally get them to let me through. They also wanted to see a certified copy of my vehicle registration document. Kept on about the word "enquiry" on the last page, They said an enquiry was not proof. They were only interested in the document in post #1.[/QUOTE]
    IF I HAVE TO WORK, I AM NOT DOING MY JOB

2010 DISCO 4 TDV6 SE - Swambo
    2012 Q7 - Me
    Land Cruizer ( INKUNZI )

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldWA View Post

Just want to add my thanks to DonaldW regarding getting the "Checking Slip Stolen Status" form issued for my vehicle at Langlaagte, Johannesburg prior to travel to Zambia next week.

Turned out to be very easy to get there (I am the owner and driver of the vehicle and had my ID and original RC1 paper).

The form issued is titled "CHECKING SLIP STOLEN STATUS" and the blank is a copy of a copy of a copy and filled in by hand in a combination of red and black pen and then gets an official Police stamp. Looks pretty much the same as the form shown in the first post.

I also want to add that office/door no2 mentioned above is located in the vehicle inspection area on the left hand side as you approach the inspection hall. But you need to drive there within the property, do not just park in the main parking and go into the admin building, instead do as follows:

To get to the vehicle inspection area:

As you drive through the Langlaagte gates (heading north) you will see a parking lot directly ahead and on the left is the admin building. Drive straight through the parking all the way to the top left corner of the property, there is a gap in the fence with a road that leads to the inspection area. Go through this gap and keep to your left basically doing a u-turn around the admin building (now heading south) as you now approach the inspection hall. Try not to drive into in the inspection hall. On your left is a set of offices with numbers attached to the wall. Park you car either in the queue on the left or as close to the admin building as possible and go to door/office no.2.

Go inside office no.2, greet everyone, and say you need Police clearance for travelling across the border. Someone will give you the form and you go outside and fill in just the top section with your name details and signature (bring a pen, as usual). If it's a quiet day you can return to the office to say you are done and they will tell you to wait by your vehicle with your form, they are coming.

The official looks at your RC1 Certificate of Registration (ownership paper), maybe looks at the vehicle nameplate under the bonnet, and fills in the rest of the paper, returns to his office and comes back with the form all filled and most critically with "STATUS OF VEHICLE" as "NOT STOLEN" in red ink an official Police stamp.

You are now done.

THERE ARE NO FEES.

If you have not entered the inspection hall, make a U-turn and head north east to the top left corner where there is a crumbling road with exit written on the wall, this will take you round the perimeter of the property and to the street exit. Otherwise you could attempt or be instructed to drive through the inspection hall and out the street exit.

It took me longer to type this than the actual inspection.

ADDITIONAL INFO (miss-info):
    I went and had my vehicle microdoted the previous day in anticipation for having to fill in the "application to Request Police Clearance" form at the Licencing office and then receiving the printed "Request Police Clearance" form then going with microdot certificate & papers to have the vehicle inspected and then finally being issued the "Police Clearance Certificate", but at Langlaagte they were not interested in the slightest in the microdot certificate and none of these above procedures seem to apply for the purpose of getting the "CHECKING SLIP STOLEN STATUS" paper.

I had also gone to Marlboro Testing Station the day prior to attempt to start the "Request Police Clearance" process, but they warned me that if they start that process on their systems (which is usually for recovered stolen vehicles, engine swaps, permanent vehicle export) then my registration would be cancelled and the car would end up needing to be re-registered. I'm sure that this is not entirely true (unless the wrong button is pressed in enatis), but they did not want to help in this regard "for my own safety". To be helpful they instead printed out a screengrab of my vehicle from E-natis stating there is no police hold on the vehicle and stamped it with a Metropolice stamp. Not being content, I then found this thread last night and proceeded to Langlaagte for the "correct" paper. Marlboro Testing Station is, at this time, not aware of the activities that take place at Langlaagte.

Hope this helps other travellers in Johannesburg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Langlaagte Testing Station.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	529592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190529_085020.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	529593   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190529_104712.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	529594  
    Last edited by WillH; 2019/05/29 at 07:46 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to WillH For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast