Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: What alternative to a Range Rover Evoque

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Also I don't know if an Evoque really fits the job, when an engineer rocks up on site in a super flashy vehicle I can't help but think what's with all the over compensating, granted that wouldn't just apply to engineers but it is magnified in the gritty setting of a site visit. That was one thing really nice about the D3/D4 is they had an attitude about them that perfectly balanced the flashy looks with the utilitarian, also the RR one or 2 gens back got that just about right, leaning just enough on the flash looks to match the increased price over the Discovery.

I'd vote for Rav4, Xtrail, Crv, Tuscon(or Kia version).
    Either Xtrail or Crv for me personally
    Sorry, can't agree with this. When I had the D4 the looks and comments I got when I got to site were something else, and in the end part of the relief of selling it was that that side of things would stop. Fact is that if you want to fit in during a site visit you either have to drive a Hilux, Ranger or something from Kia / Hyundai etc. No luxury brands.
    Ex: Touareg V6 TDi - Sold at 145 000 km. More breakdowns in 2 years than all other vehicles combined in 20.
    Ex: Discovery 4 V8 - Sold at 149 000 km. Awesome vehicle, but a bottomless pit.
    Ex: Fortuner D4D - Best vehicle I've owned Sold at 267 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux 2.7i - Sold at 241 000 km.
    Ex: Hilux D4D - Sold at 330 000 km.

Regarding the Evoque: My SIL had one when they just came out. She is quite small in stature, and found that the high waist line and large rear view mirrors cause very bad front view blind spots, especially in the hilly and twisty roads in Nelspruit where they live. She traded it back on her old Volvo XC60 which was still on the floor. (Year or two later my BIL upgraded her to Cayenne, lucky girl!)
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    My boss has a 5 door 2.2 diesel Evoque.

Absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it - think it has circa 62k km on the clock now.
    Wow! 62000km with no issues.

Thats rare...

Well done Land Rover!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Manny View Post
    Wow! 62000km with no issues.

Thats rare...

Well done Land Rover!
    Amazing right.
    By comparison all three of her previous BMW's - 325i, 130i and 325i coupe all suffered issues. All with lower km.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Regarding the Evoque: My SIL had one when they just came out. She is quite small in stature, and found that the high waist line and large rear view mirrors cause very bad front view blind spots, especially in the hilly and twisty roads in Nelspruit where they live. She traded it back on her old Volvo XC60 which was still on the floor. (Year or two later my BIL upgraded her to Cayenne, lucky girl!)

Are your SIL and BIL married?

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Wife's sister or brother is still an SIL or BIL.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4xhilux View Post
    Sorry, can't agree with this. When I had the D4 the looks and comments I got when I got to site were something else, and in the end part of the relief of selling it was that that side of things would stop. Fact is that if you want to fit in during a site visit you either have to drive a Hilux, Ranger or something from Kia / Hyundai etc. No luxury brands.
    If that's the case then the Evoque is going to take that whole shenanigans to the next level!

Especially a lady engineer, it's a tough environment and the type of person that engages in sh#t talk will have a field day with the lady engineer and her fancy shcmancy Evoque. But maybe she kicks ass and couldn't give a feck what the bottom feeders think about her or her vehicle, kudos to her if that is the case.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/05/04 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Yes, my wifes sister and her husband. Capeesh?
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Yes, my wifes sister and her husband. Capeesh?

Thank you Sir.

English is not my first language, so I was confused.

Then Wikipedia confused me even more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibling-in-law

I recently bought a X-trail after owning an B7 Audi avant for a few years. And I bought for a lot less than the R350k this lady wants to spend. The interior looks is up to personal taste, but I like it. The boot is not close to tiny, unless you had the seven seater option. And with regards to the bonnet flex, I haven't experienced any of that, yours might have had something wrong with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    I see the XTrail feature often above, rented one last year and was extremely disappointed with the interior design, especially the boot area, and it's really tinny, the bonnet can be seen flexing up and down even on highway surfaces.
    SPOON!

Jeep Cherokee?
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

Quote Originally Posted by Grubscrew View Post
    I recently bought a X-trail after owning an B7 Audi avant for a few years. And I bought for a lot less than the R350k this lady wants to spend. The interior looks is up to personal taste, but I like it. The boot is not close to tiny, unless you had the seven seater option. And with regards to the bonnet flex, I haven't experienced any of that, yours might have had something wrong with it.
    Tinny. Not tiny.

She's after something with looks. That is 'pretty'. Practicality is very low on the list.
    Current: 2021 Fiat Panda 900T 4x4

SWAMBO: 2016 Volvo XC60 D4 Inscription Geartronic

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    Tinny. Not tiny.

She's after something with looks. That is 'pretty'. Practicality is very low on the list.
    Ah, jip not as solid as a tank. An X-trail is no where in the class of an evoque. Two totally different vehicles.
    SPOON!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grubscrew For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Grubscrew View Post
    The car we rented had a gap between the rear seats and the boot floor where small items disappear into the first time you used the brakes.

And the bonnet was exactly the same as the old Datsun bakkies I grew up with on the farm, flexing up and down by about 6mm below the windscreen line.
    Last edited by faniedup; 2018/05/04 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    The car we rented had a gap between the rear seats and the boot floor where small items disappear into the first time you used the brakes.

And the bonnet was exactly the same as the old Datsun bakkies I grew up with on the farm, flexing up and down by about 6mm below the windscreen line.
    The rear seats can be moved forward to allow for more boot space. I guess the seats where moved forward in your case allowing for a extra gap to form.

Name:  Nissan-X-Trail-Indonesia-2014-2nd-Row-Seats.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  57.0 KB

I will have a proper look when I take the car for a drive, but I haven't notice any bonnet flexing or flutter and we just came back from a weekend trip away to Bloemfontein.
    SPOON!

perhaps the bonnet rubbers were simply badly adjusted and being a rental nobody cares.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

I am not going to read the whore thread. There is one serious issue. Nearly every person burns their fingers when they get hefty increase, Lotto win or what ever where where there is suddenly more money. She should keep really cool head and buy something that works for her and is not excessively expensive. Sit for few months with the increase and see where to spend. If she doesn't she will be much worse off 12 months down the road than before the increase. One study after an other confirms this. I do not need studies. I have seen it - including fights with a loved one.

We have 7 km sand road to our cottage and I see vehicles crawling. These include plat cars, anything based on bakkie suspension (or drivers are nuts), so called 4x4 like RV, real 4x4 Jeeps... I have no issues with mine but Grand Cherokee is too expansive. Not easy.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    Tinny. Not tiny.

Run and run fast. Do not give any recommendations. If you do you get blamed what ever you say.

Too many jokes about blonds so not this time.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Default What alternative to a Range Rover Evoque

Surprised that nobody recommended a Fortuner or Jeep Wrangler. Second hand of course.
    Last edited by Therackermann; 2018/05/04 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    Surprised that nobody recommended a Fortuner or Jeep Wrangler. Second hand of course.
    I know why. I see them on sand road.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast