Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.




Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    27
    Posts
    148
    Thanked: 43

    Default Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    Hi Everyone,

    So I was told by someone that knows a lot more about tyres than myself that my Bridgestone Duellers HT 205/70 R15 tyres are cracked and have a lot of cuts, which makes them unsafe. Therefore I need new tyres. They are in any case almost at the end of their thread lifetime.

    So here are my two options, but first my vehicle and application:

    Vehicle:
    Suzuki Jimny, known to be light, agile and slow.... But a lot of FUN!

    Application:
    I drive HiWay a lot, 70km a day.
    I drive gravel roads once or twice a month (50km).
    On Holidays I like to go off the beaten track, up mountain passes, and I'm planning a Botswana and a Mozambique overland trip in the near future.

    Tyre options:
    1. YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR G015 A/T

    Size
    215/70 R15 (10mm wider and a bit higher than original)

    Pros:
    100 000 km warranty, but since the Jimny is so light a couple of thousand more....
    Very quite on the road (According to a salesman)

    Cons:
    4x4 SUV & Recreational Tyre (Not Light Truck). So more prone to punctures?
    R200 more than option 2.

    2. GOODYEAR WRANGLER A/T ADVENTURE
    Size
    205/75 R15 (a bit higher than original)

    Pros:
    4x4, Lt Truck. SUV (Stronger than option 1)
    R200 less per tyre than option 1.

    Cons:
    Won't get 100 000km out of them.

    Any advice and experience regarding these two tyres will be of great help in me finding the right tyre for my application.
    Last edited by Andreasjsn; 2018/05/08 at 07:48 AM.
    Andreas Naudé
    Current Vehicle

    Good Year Wrangler Adventurers 205/75 R15

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    3rd Rock from the sun
    Posts
    7,083
    Thanked: 386

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    I have your option 2 on my Jimny and are more than happy with their on road and off road performance. The Adventure is a much better tyre than its predecessor the AT/SA.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to HeinrichC For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Walker Bay
    Posts
    8,306
    Thanked: 594

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    I have YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR - no punctures thus far
    GOODYEAR WRANGLER A/T ADVENTURE has had good reviews.

    Take a look at these posts:

    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...52#post3756152
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2018/05/03 at 01:08 PM.

    “Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    27
    Posts
    148
    Thanked: 43

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    I have YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR - no punctures thus far
    GOODYEAR WRANGLER A/T ADVENTURE has had good reviews.

    Take a look at these posts:

    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...52#post3756152

    Thanks, I really like the 100000km guarantee on the Yokohama's, as I drive between 30k and 40k a year. So currently I've got my mind set on them. I know the Good Years are really good tyres.
    Andreas Naudé
    Current Vehicle

    Good Year Wrangler Adventurers 205/75 R15

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    64
    Posts
    792
    Thanked: 83

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    I recently fitted GY Adventure 205/70 R15.
    I was told that 205/75 R15 is only available as the old AT/SA

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woolf For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    27
    Posts
    148
    Thanked: 43

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Woolf View Post
    I recently fitted GY Adventure 205/70 R15.
    I was told that 205/75 R15 is only available as the old AT/SA

    That't interesting. I was also under the assumption that this is the case, since I could not find it when I was searching for it in January. However now on Errols site it looks like it is available. But that might be a mistake?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	487492

    However, I spoke to a guy at tiger wheel and tyre, and he told me that size is a bit of an issue, since there is not really a big demand for it, and one might have problems replacing one tyre in the future...

    So at the moment I'm very keen to go with the Yokohama's, since I want to go just a bit bigger than standard.
    Andreas Naudé
    Current Vehicle

    Good Year Wrangler Adventurers 205/75 R15

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    JHB
    Age
    64
    Posts
    792
    Thanked: 83

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    I think it was a local supply problem. The suppliers to the tyre place that I used said they could only supply the 70 in Adventure. Looking at the Good Year site they do have the 75 listed as an Adventure

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Woolf For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    3rd Rock from the sun
    Posts
    7,083
    Thanked: 386

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    Well, here is a picture of my tyres; 205/75R15 Adventures.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeinrichC For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,967
    Thanked: 697

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Woolf View Post
    I think it was a local supply problem. The suppliers to the tyre place that I used said they could only supply the 70 in Adventure. Looking at the Good Year site they do have the 75 listed as an Adventure
    If you were in PE, I could have helped you.
    Sent from my iPhone


  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    27
    Posts
    148
    Thanked: 43

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    Well, here is a picture of my tyres; 205/75R15 Adventures.

    Thanks, and how is the on road handling and road noise?

    I must say I'm starting to lean more towards the Wranglers now.... It looks great on the Jimny, and I like this size.
    Andreas Naudé
    Current Vehicle

    Good Year Wrangler Adventurers 205/75 R15

  17. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Durban North
    Age
    63
    Posts
    327
    Thanked: 246

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    Goodyear Adventures with Kevlar for sure have them on my Ranger no issues just don't inflate the front tyres on the Jimny to above 1.6 kpa I could not believe the difference in comfort and hold.
    The Standard issue on the Jimny is All Highway tyres for whatever reason
    Changed them before the car left the show room..

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dudleytheplumber For This Useful Post:


  19. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    60
    Posts
    5,152
    Thanked: 488

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    If you buy the GY Adventure at HiQ, then you get a warranty on them.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2018/05/08 at 05:10 AM.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:


  21. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    27
    Posts
    148
    Thanked: 43

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dudleytheplumber View Post
    Goodyear Adventures with Kevlar for sure have them on my Ranger no issues just don't inflate the front tyres on the Jimny to above 1.6 kpa I could not believe the difference in comfort and hold.
    The Standard issue on the Jimny is All Highway tyres for whatever reason
    Changed them before the car left the show room..

    Thanks, I realised even with the Duellers that going over 1.6 bar servery impacts the comfort and drive ability of the car. Will continue to monitor this closely with new tyres as well.
    Andreas Naudé
    Current Vehicle

    Good Year Wrangler Adventurers 205/75 R15

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Andreasjsn For This Useful Post:


  23. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Kareedouw
    Age
    35
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 21

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andreasjsn View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    So I was told by someone that knows a lot more about tyres than myself that my Bridgestone Duellers HT 205/70 R15 tyres are cracked and have a lot of cuts, which makes them unsafe. Therefore I need new tyres. They are in any case almost at the end of their thread lifetime.

    So here are my two options, but first my vehicle and application:

    Vehicle:
    Suzuki Jimny, known to be light, agile and slow.... But a lot of FUN!

    Application:
    I drive HiWay a lot, 70km a day.
    I drive gravel roads once or twice a month (50km).
    On Holidays I like to go off the beaten track, up mountain passes, and I'm planning a Botswana and a Mozambique overland trip in the near future.

    Tyre options:
    1. YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR G015 A/T

    Size
    215/70 R15 (10mm wider and a bit higher than original)

    Pros:
    100 000 km warranty, but since the Jimny is so light a couple of thousand more....
    Very quite on the road (According to a salesman)

    Cons:
    4x4 SUV & Recreational Tyre (Not Lite Truck). So more prone to punctures?
    R200 more than option 2.

    2. GOODYEAR WRANGLER A/T ADVENTURE
    Size
    205/75 R15 (a bit higher than original)

    Pros:
    4x4, Lt Truck. SUV (Stronger than option 1)
    R200 less per tyre than option 1.

    Cons:
    Won't get 100 000km out of them.

    Any advice and experience regarding these two tyres will be of great help in me finding the right tyre for my application.
    Die 100 000 km waarborg. Is dit op kms net? Geen tyre damage waarborg? Dan sal jy seker elke 10000 moeg roteer en sporing doen.
    Ek weet goodyear gee tyre damage waarborg by.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to CornelisVoigt For This Useful Post:


  25. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    27
    Posts
    148
    Thanked: 43

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by CornelisVoigt View Post
    Die 100 000 km waarborg. Is dit op kms net? Geen tyre damage waarborg? Dan sal jy seker elke 10000 moeg roteer en sporing doen.
    Ek weet goodyear gee tyre damage waarborg by.
    Ja, eks nie persies seker wat die waarborg behels nie. Maar ek dink ek het nou besluit op die good years. Ek is bietjie bang vir sidewall damage as ek lang afstande grondpad teen n lae druk ry met die Yokohamas, waar ek meer vertroue het in die good years se Kevlar, en dat dit light truck is.

    Dis goed om te weet dat Good Year tyre damage waarborg gee. Is die net my sekere verskaffers, of van Good Year self (so by alle verskaffers)?
    Andreas Naudé
    Current Vehicle

    Good Year Wrangler Adventurers 205/75 R15

  26. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Barberton
    Age
    60
    Posts
    5,152
    Thanked: 488

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andreasjsn View Post
    Ja, eks nie persies seker wat die waarborg behels nie. Maar ek dink ek het nou besluit op die good years. Ek is bietjie bang vir sidewall damage as ek lang afstande grondpad teen n lae druk ry met die Yokohamas, waar ek meer vertroue het in die good years se Kevlar, en dat dit light truck is.

    Dis goed om te weet dat Good Year tyre damage waarborg gee. Is die net my sekere verskaffers, of van Good Year self (so by alle verskaffers)?
    Ek dink dis n verskaffer een. Beste is om maar te bel en uit te vind. Ek het n waarborg op my Adventure gekry n maand of wat gelede.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:


  28. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    3rd Rock from the sun
    Posts
    7,083
    Thanked: 386

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Andreasjsn View Post
    Thanks, and how is the on road handling and road noise?

    I must say I'm starting to lean more towards the Wranglers now.... It looks great on the Jimny, and I like this size.
    Very good in wet conditions and excellent in braking. Road noise, I cannot hear them at all they are very much as quiet as the stock tyres.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to HeinrichC For This Useful Post:


  30. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    27
    Posts
    148
    Thanked: 43

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by HeinrichC View Post
    Very good in wet conditions and excellent in braking. Road noise, I cannot hear them at all they are very much as quiet as the stock tyres.
    Excellent, thank you very much!
    Andreas Naudé
    Current Vehicle

    Good Year Wrangler Adventurers 205/75 R15

  31. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    27
    Posts
    148
    Thanked: 43

    Default Re: Suzuki Jimny Tyre Advice needed.

    Thanks for all the advice guys, got the Good Year Wranglers 205/75/R15 yesterday!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180515_163701.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	488869
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180515_200805.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	488870
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180515_200844.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	258.0 KB 
ID:	488871
    Andreas Naudé
    Current Vehicle

    Good Year Wrangler Adventurers 205/75 R15

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Andreasjsn For This Useful Post:


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •