Overland advice required - LC vs Hilux, Campers, etc

Default Overland advice required - LC vs Hilux, Campers, etc

I'm not sure exactly in which thread this should be, so am posting it into the Pub and hoping for the best...

We are new to this forum, and are hoping that we could tap into the collective experience from its members!

My partner and I are in the beginning stages of planning a Cape-to-Cairo (or maybe just to Ethiopia and back, depending on the political climate at the time ) trip in 2020, and would love some advice on the following 3 points which have taken over our discussions of the last couple of weeks!

1. Toyota Land Cruiser 79 Double Cab vs Toyota Hilux Double Cab
      1. A lot of debate is going into this choice, ranging from the LC’s main cons being a relative “hard ride” & heavy on fuel vs the Hilux’s main cons being potentially not strong enough & with less interior (read headroom) space. Any views? Will a Hilux 2.4D be strong enough with a camper on the back?

2. Diesel vs Petrol
      1. We can buy an immaculate Petrol Land Cruiser secondhand for a great price…but it is petrol and we would ideally prefer diesel due to the perception of difficulty of obtaining fuel further up in Africa. Is this a valid concern?

3. Campers
      1. We are currently looking at Alucab’s Ossewa or Khaya / Bushlapa’s Bosluis4 / AHA-15 camper for some ideas. Are there any others that we should consider? And would you recommend trying to find a good secondhand camper?

Any advice will be really appreciated!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingDiver&Cook For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Overland advice required - LC vs Hilux, Campers, etc

As mentioned on your introduction thread, rather post this in the main Overland section - Pub posts get lost very quickly because of the high turnover. I'll reply to this once it's posted in the Overland section.

Cheers
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Go speak the the 4x4 rental people in your area. If you come to joburg pse speak to Rob at Bushlore, he is so helpful and honest. This MUST be face to face not by phone. These guys do this for a living and are best placed to advise you. And they sell variously equipped Hilux and LC's... even newer ones at some premium. I do have a rental contact in the Cape, should you need it pm me.

I bought my Hilux from Bushlore after hours of discussion generously afforded me by Rob.
    In my case his best suggestion was a Hilux which I used recently, see my report.
    Hilux is used more extensively than LC as such there is a surprising ability to repair them wherever you go, also spares even if they're taken from a scrap vehicle.
    I found the Hilux quite capable and robust enough, but if going for some years maybe not.
    See also the Africa trip report on the Tracks for Africa site... Hilux to Ethiopia and back without issues.
    https://blog.tracks4africa.co.za/veh...overland-trip/
    Long range is also very handy...

I know Tony used petrol all over Africa and had few problems obtaining it, and a petrol motor is much easier to maintain... but fuel is a major cost factor nowadays, at least for me.

Also speak to the rental people about how to rig it out.
    The caravan type that you want would not have suited us as your packing space is severely restricted.
    I suggest you also consider the canopy/clamshell RTT system, it worked best for us but we go to remote areas where we have to carry enough to last a couple of weeks or more.
    Remeber weight must be kept to a minimum and I would rather carry provisions than aluminium.
    I strongly counsel against a trailer! btw!

Mr Cook, please send me a PM with your details.

We are in Somerset West and are also busy planing an adventure such as yours! It would be very good to hook up and have a cup of coffee as we currently find ourselves in the EXACT same predicament as yours.

Going to be following this thread with interest!

Good luck with your planning.

We are not fans of trailers. Double trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    As mentioned on your introduction thread, rather post this in the main Overland section - Pub posts get lost very quickly because of the high turnover. I'll reply to this once it's posted in the Overland section.

Cheers
    Hi Tony. It is now in the Overland section
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by Slowones View Post
    Mr Cook, please send me a PM with your details.

We are in Somerset West and are also busy planing an adventure such as yours! It would be very good to hook up and have a cup of coffee as we currently find ourselves in the EXACT same predicament as yours.

Going to be following this thread with interest!
    Greetings

Am in exactly the same frame of mind ... our objective is to do Cape Town to Scotland .... however if we only reach Uganda then the dream is worth pursuing ... have done quite a lot of homework 're vehicles and have finally decided on a LC SC 4.2 D ... (she already has a Swahili name!!) ...for several reasons

1. LC - I do not intend to buy another vehicle soon and hope that the LC will be robust enough to last me 15-20 years

2. SC - Maximise space (how often will we have kids to warrant a DC? ... plus not enough space in the back for adults on a long trip)

3. 4.2 Diesel - fuel efficiency and ability to drive on suspect fuel for a while (V8 ... been advised by Toyota mechanics that Diesel up North will kill the motor eventually ... I have no intention of towing a trailer nor do I necessarily require speed .... "patience" is my friend)

4. Comfort ... I was concerned about this but have been pleasantly surprised having driven the vehicle from Pta to CT (Mostly dirt roads)
    - you sit nice and high as opposed to Hilux or similar (improved visability)
    - the ride is firm but not hard ( despite having Tough Dog raised suspension and no weight on the back yet)
    - the LC just feels "solid" and gives one a feeling of being "secure"

I am also between Somerset West and Cape Town so would love to meet up to compare notes / ideas as we start to kit the vehicle out ... I would be willing to share all my spreadsheets for both purchase of vehicle and accessories... we intend to take at least 6 months kitting "Rikwama" out.

I still have many unanswered questions but intend to take my time and "test & trial" accessories that suit MY NEEDS. I have seen so many NICE CONVERSIONS out there ... but not convinced they are all NEED TO HAVES. I am not shy to admit that I do have a budget that will also ensure that I stick to the NEED TO HAVES.

Happy to discuss

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickeld For This Useful Post:

Nothing wrong with Hiluxes or Land Cruisers, but personally, if I had the choice and the budget I would go with the 4.2l Cruiser because they are very, very widely used across Africa, including by the UN, most aid agencies, the military, Al Qaeda, Isis, Boko Haram etc etc....
    Personally, I prefer petrol simply because I am a competent mechanic on petrol engines, but know nothing about diesel.
    I would strongly advise against either towing a trailer or having a bolt-on camper as both will be restrictive for various reasons - a secure, lockable canopy with a rooftop tent is by far the simplest and easiest, or a station wagon with RTT.
    Even if there are just two of you, I would go for a double cab if you go the pick-up route because the back seat is useful for stuff you want to hand while driving (especially on game drives) like cameras, cooler box, jackets/sweaters, guide books etc etc.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Agree Land Cruiser over Hilux, just more robust for an African overland trip.

Diesel before petrol, more robust, easier to work on, bush mechanics more familiar with diesel engines, spares easier to find, takes water immersion in its stride. Diesel fuel probably more widely available. If fuel dirty or adulterated the 4,2 diesel will tolerate this far better.

4.2 before V8, far simpler engine.

Double cab/SW before single cab. There are some visit-worthy places in Africa that require you to carry a guide/guard in your vehicle. Nice to have easy accessible storage reachable from within the vehicle.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

A single cab is great as its cheaper to buy, easier to sell and gets you more space in the back. The drawback is the ability to carry passengers... maybe the extra space is worth having just for the ability to have friends/family along for a while if on an extended trip and in need of company who might not otherwise come out. Even a day trip to the beach or local game reserve is enriched with company.... if only to squabble about the identity of that mystery creature or just the meaning of life!

But far more important is the ability to carry a game guide, local policeman to deal with an issue, soldier for safe passage, local child to show you the way thro.. eg across Save river, or in Sioma nat park or in ex "tribal trust lands" in Zim or villager to a hospital in E cape, or one of the many many emergencies faced by local people... it just doesnt feel right just leaving someone stranded when you could have the ability to help. In Zambia recently we picked up an old man who was walking 100km to hospital sleeping in the bush on the way to pay $10 for his daughter to have treatment. Each of these are just some of the many instances where we have needed space for a passenger in the recent past. This is not to say we stop whenever we see someone one on foot but when we have been directly exposed to the issue.
    So we did not consider a s/c ... a Club cab was a possibility but in the end it just felt better having double cab not just for practicality but for maximising the richness or our journey..... oh yes and I can put 2 on the back seat with an Engel 40 - for cold drinks, cheese, chocies etc without getting out and being accosted by all manner or predatory critters!
    When you've been stuck in that 4 hour traffic jam in Wakanda without a coffee and sandwich dont come crying to me!... and yes I've had too much time on my hands since completing that bloody trip report!