Possible emigration to the country of Kaapstad - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Possible emigration to the country of Kaapstad

From our recent trip to the Cape It amazes me how the average Joe can afford the astronomical rentals demanded when the salaries are so low...
    However My friend recently bought a property in the Wilderness area for about 3.5mil and struggled to get an 8k rental for it .

Quote Originally Posted by RvanZ View Post
    My wife is s in retail planning and acquisition. The few places she is talking to all seem to be in city center.
    The biggest retailer in SA is Shoprite & their Head Office is in Brackenfell.
    If she is career driven then that would be worth looking into.

This opens up the Northern suburbs as a home base option which is a total different lifestyle than CBD and surrounds...
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    From our recent trip to the Cape It amazes me how the average Joe can afford the astronomical rentals demanded when the salaries are so low...
    However My friend recently bought a property in the Wilderness area for about 3.5mil and struggled to get an 8k rental for it .
    yip and 4 mil in Claremont for only 500sqm is crazy sometimes only 350sqm for that price

Pinelands value for money is better, other than competing with the old mutual traffic in the evenings.
    Last edited by ismail; 2018/05/07 at 03:06 PM.
    Hilux 2700i s/c 4X4 with a few extras ...............
    Cape Town

If your wife doesn't mind a 1 - 1 and a half hour commute too and back from CBD every day look at Table View / Blouberg or Durbanville. The housing is less expensive and the areas are nice. I don't see any appeal to living in the CBD.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    Holiday town(Wilderness) vs Business hub(CPT cbd) are two entirely different beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    If she is career driven then that would be worth looking into..
    Woolies is in town and I think TFG as well.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    If she is career driven then that would be worth looking into.

This opens up the Northern suburbs as a home base option which is a total different lifestyle than CBD and surrounds...
    And Pep Stores' central office seems to be in Parow Industria... They used to have a large warehouse in Kuilsrivier, not sure if it's still there. I think the OP needs to get some physical addresses from the companies to which his wife is talking, and pin them on Google Maps.
    There is only one...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    and Cape Union Mart.
    and clicks in woodstock

she has applied with all of them, including Checkers.

more interviews to follow this week.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    Woolies is behind the city hall. TFG is in Parow. PnP is at the Kenilworth Racecourse. Pep in Parow.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 220 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT.

Quote Originally Posted by xdoomx View Post
    I relocated from Morningside, Durban to Cape Town in February. I had been here many times on holiday and more times leading up to finalising my new position. It was really difficult getting somewhere to stay that had offstreet parking and allowed pets, and I'd say impossible in the city bowl (we have 3 cats) unless you're spending 20k up on rent.

If you love Durban as much as I did you don't want to stay in City Bowl. The environment was quite overwhelming for me in terms of density, I felt very anxious looking at property there with neighbours everywhere. There isn't a lot of SPACE, and to be honest it isn't as great as all the articles online make it out to be a cool place to live, UNLESS you dig the city lifestyle. Woodstock is touted as the place to be, but to be honest it is quite literally Umbilo.
    This is also a major concern to me, as just looking at some places to rent online it seems very cramped. Now for us humans I don't mind, however with our cats, i just know one of them will be visiting the neighbours, and i don't want to be causing any ###, as i know the little one would.

i don't mind some parts of "Umbilo" but would rather not want to be in a area like that.

Quote Originally Posted by stadleroux View Post
    Not too many malls, no, but the V&A Waterfront with one very big and at least two smaller malls and stacks of other shops and restaurants outside is just a quick drive down Buitengragt, especially after hours, and almost everything stays open until 21:00, the very nice PicknPay until 22:00. Canal Walk is also just down the road next to the N1 and open until 21:00 as well. Traffic is flowing pretty freely from about 18:30 - 19:00 onwards most of the time.

I'm not obsessed with living in the City Bowl at all, I got a place here purely for convenience's sake when I started working in the city, but today I'm very glad I did, even though my current place is a little small and has only off-street parking and no garage. I don't need a lot of conveniences, but living close to work was my first priority and it has only been reinforced over the years. I can see that it's not for everyone though, and a visit before moving here should be a requirement imo.

I'm not a fan of malls, so really doesn't bother me if there are none

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoMatt View Post
    I am surprised your wife expects to working in city bowl. Most of the retail companies are in Epping, Milnerton and Montague Gardens. Head offices tend to be near Claremont. My advice is get the addresses where she is most likely to work. As a Durbanite they may say Cape Town but once plotted you might find its in Woodstock for instance. Then decide what is important. Walks on the beach. Note the western Seaboard water is only useable to hardened Capies. Whatever is important to you. Then work out how much time commuting you are prepared to put up with. Note Durban the light comes early and leaves early. In the Cape the light comes later and in summer leaves later. In winter you could be driving to and from work in the dark. WIth this info0rmation you can make a much better decision.
    that what we would be doing when we have more info, right now she is just casting the net all over.

I might have something lined up in Milnerton, through a friend, but won't act on it until we know whats happening

We never planned on moving from Durban, but for the sake of having a job she did consider JHB. But the company is going about it in a not "cool" manner.
    Poor relocation assistance (and we do realize its not compulsory), but if you want your staff to come make it worth while, and if you then leave within a certain time you have to pay back the relocation.
    Positions within the company are not secured, everyone has to re-apply for "a" job, and you are not guaranteed "your" current job, nor the salary you are earning.
    a Few Weeks ago they told the media there will be no retrenchments, but some had already taken place.
    The HR director seems to withhold info.

Keeping the above in mind, and the fact that we would have to go to a place we don't know, and not know anyone, she mad the call to rather try in CT. She has been there many times, has a few friends there, and some good possible employment prospects.

To me, as I'm a mid 30's pale uneducated male I would probably have to make due wherever we go, whether is KHB, CT, Bloem or Paternoster. I'll make a plan

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RvanZ For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: Possible emigration to the country of Kaapstad

We never planned on moving from Durban, but for the sake of having a job she did consider JHB. But the company is going about it in a not "cool" manner.
    Poor relocation assistance (and we do realize its not compulsory), but if you want your staff to come make it worth while, and if you then leave within a certain time you have to pay back the relocation.
    Positions within the company are not secured, everyone has to re-apply for "a" job, and you are not guaranteed "your" current job, nor the salary you are earning.
    a Few Weeks ago they told the media there will be no retrenchments, but some had already taken place.
    The HR director seems to withhold info.

Keeping the above in mind, and the fact that we would have to go to a place we don't know, and not know anyone, she mad the call to rather try in CT. She has been there many times, has a few friends there, and some good possible employment prospects.

To me, as I'm a mid 30's pale uneducated male I would probably have to make due wherever we go, whether is KHB, CT, Bloem or Paternoster. I'll make a plan
    Not saying this is what's happening in your wife's case, but apparently some big companies relocate their head office when they want to "clean house," and downsize their staff complement. Seems pretty counter productive to me, as they'd probably end up with those employees least likely to get a job elsewhere going along to the new location, shedding the cream of the crop who don't feel inclined to move at all or, like your wife, would rather move elsewhere.

Oh, and I have to say your positive, supportive attitude is commendable!
    There is only one...

Not saying this is what's happening in your wife's case, but apparently some big companies relocate their head office when they want to "clean house," and downsize their staff complement. Seems pretty counter productive to me, as they'd probably end up with those employees least likely to get a job elsewhere going along to the new location, shedding the cream of the crop who don't feel inclined to move at all or, like your wife, would rather move elsewhere.
    This is very much the situation.
    It sometimes get punted as a "cost saving" exercise, yet a building in the middle of Sandton is the new place. I cannot fathom that Sandton is anywhere near the same price as a old crappy building on the outskirts of the Durban city center.

Loads of key staff have already bailed, and the number is increasing weekly, if not daily. Just today 2 people resigned.

its sad but true that staff are not working to the usual standards, and this will be felt later on in the stores. And following that, as you say, the fluff would have stayed in the company for the sake of a job but will not be the best people for the jobs.
    Proper long term damage is being done.

Oh, and I have to say your positive, supportive attitude is commendable!
    Thanks, I try

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RvanZ For This Useful Post:

Pinelands would have been my second choice if I didn't get lucky on a place in Newlands. Seriously consider it. Very, very central.
    I think it was the first official municipality established in SA. Lots of history there, and property is still reasonable and plots are spacious.

I've actually found I've ended up spending LESS time in the car and on petrol as the distance to things to do (nature, off roaring etc) is much less than Durban. We used to have to mission past PMB to really get into scenic countryside (once you've tired of the Valley. Shongweni etc). The difference in CT is that everything is geared for tourists and the well heeled. Which means good service, cleanliness, good manners and good food. Mostly. But certainly miles and beyond anything I've been accustomed to in Durbs.

Rent and property seems insane at first but you'll make it work. People wouldn't be living here if they didn't have jobs to afford it.

Again, the lifestyle is incredible. You can literally walk up from Newlands into Kirstenbosch Gardens, or Newlands Forest and Table Mountain. Closest thing to that would be Kloof gorge.

Another thing I noticed is its very clean in terms of litter. The only thing I see cleaners sweeping up is leaves. That says a lot about the residents and foot traffic.
    Last edited by xdoomx; 2018/05/07 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepcommander View Post
    There is a reason so many people move to the Cape.... however I suggest a trip there for at least a week before making any decisions. I think you will find it is like another country. And I mean that in a good way.
    With so many in-house fighting amongst the leadership of the DA I fear for chaos in the politics in the near future
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

So the company my darling wife works for is moving from Durban to JHB in the next few months and she refuses to go there with them, cos she just doesn't like JHB, and does not want to be with the company any longer due to the way they have been handling the whole story.

So the hunt has started for new employers, and in her industry there aren't too many places in Durban, and her search has been extended to Cape town, and she's had quite a few bites.

I've never been to Cape town...

Now if this happens, it'll probably be that she would work in the city center, so when looking for accommodation what areas are to be avoided?

I've heard that traffic is horrid, how true is this?

We have pets (cats) and would need a pet friendly place to stay, so something with a 2bedrooms or more and little garden, would around R15k suffice?

How about security? are we fine if we get a place with street parking? or if we go to a restaurant and park randomly, is there a good chance we have to walk home?

what about public transport, does it exist, is it affordable, is it safe, is it reliable?

thats all i can think of for now, might add a few more questions later

Ryno
    My suggestion would be ,convince her to relocate to JHB at the cost of her company and when she is there test out the place ,if she still does not like it then take time to look elsewhere while still earning an income. Job opportunities for both of you would be greater in Jhb . Humans are great at adapting. If you are financially well off then only give up a job. Worker ethic is very different in Cape town .

I was born in Sea point and lived in Cape Town for 18 years before moving up to Rhodesia. On my return lived in Durban initially and then transferred to Cape Town then Johannesburg. After 12 months in Johannesburg could not wait to get back to Durban.
    After an absence of 25 year living in Britain I recently had cause to visit Cape Town for a few days. Lovely weather and nice new modern roads however the traffic was a nightmare. We left Panorama just after 9am to take the motorway to Cape Town and as we were about to turn onto the motorway I notice that it was blocked up solid so took the old Voortrekker Road into Cape Town. The same applied travelling from Tableview to Cape Town very heavy traffic. We were glad to get back to Durban where the traffci seem to flow smoother. In the UK the traffic is very heavy on motorways, but most times it is moving unlike Cape Town which is a beautiful place to live but has traffic issues!
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit CRD chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

As we are not city people, we elected to settle in Paarl, and I take the Business Express train into Cape Town (65-75 minutes one way). Lately MetroFail has had serious issues and many trains are delayed. However it is still a viable option.

Weekend trips
    If you stay in the Cape Town suburbs, getting on the road on a Friday afternoon is almost impossible due to the traffic. Colleague of mine sold their caravan due this.

Getting out of Cape town central
    Just getting out of the CBD after 15h30 can often take an hour or more.

Bus Transport
    Both the Golden Arrow and MiCity bus services offers decent public transport options from Melkbos. I stayed in Melkbos while building and found the bus service quite acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisF View Post
    As we are not city people, we elected to settle in Paarl, and I take the Business Express train into Cape Town (65-75 minutes one way). Lately MetroFail has had serious issues and many trains are delayed. However it is still a viable option.

Weekend trips
    If you stay in the Cape Town suburbs, getting on the road on a Friday afternoon is almost impossible due to the traffic. Colleague of mine sold their caravan due this.

Getting out of Cape town central
    Just getting out of the CBD after 15h30 can often take an hour or more.

Bus Transport
    Both the Golden Arrow and MiCity bus services offers decent public transport options from Melkbos. I stayed in Melkbos while building and found the bus service quite acceptable.
    Thanks for the info.

Can you give us an indication of cost?

I have had many of those 'can't get through traffic Friday's' here in Durban too. Maybe not as bad, but getting from Durban north to marianhill takes an hour. Then from there to past pmb another 45/60 mins.
    Or if going south, an hour to Toti.
    Very annoying, but we have changed our gameplan by just taking half daus and leaving by 2pm latest.

Thanks guys

I will be spending some time this weekend finding all the places mentioned above, on Google maps, just to find my way.

Does anyone commute with a motorcycle of bicycle now and then?

Also what is the typography like? Is it rather hilly like Durban, or flat?

re: Cycling, houses in Milnerton, public transport.

I live in a secure estate called Royal Ascot in Milnerton.
    Crime is almost non-existent.
    My one son, who also has a house here, regularly cycles to work in the top of town as there is a complete cycle track from Royal Ascot to town - it helps that he has a motorized bicycle! It is completely flat until you hit the city centre.
    We are on the My-Citi bus route directly into town. At non-peak times (9:30 to 15:45) it takes about 35 mins into the centre of town by car.
    You are 5 kms away from Century City shopping centre and 4 kms from the beach at Sunset Beach.

My other son has an investment property up for rent in about a months time in Ascot Knights (a secure residential complex within Royal Ascot). It is a modern double story duplex with two bedrooms, garage, secure off street parking for a further two cars, small garden, pet friendly. He is in the process of renovating it completely and will be renting it out for about R15 000 per month - if you are at all interested.

There are normally a number of similar properties available for rent as Royal Ascot encompasses some 1 300 units

http://royalascot.co.za/project/resi...-ascotknights/

22. The Following User Says Thank You to gregjohnson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xdoomx View Post
    Pinelands would have been my second choice...
    Traffic in and out of Pinelands in the morning/afternoon is the worst nightmare you can imagine. Just don't do it.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.