Possible emigration to the country of Kaapstad - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Possible emigration to the country of Kaapstad

Thanks guys

I will be spending some time this weekend finding all the places mentioned above, on Google maps, just to find my way.

Does anyone commute with a motorcycle of bicycle now and then?

Also what is the typography like? Is it rather hilly like Durban, or flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Terencej View Post
    His house in a rather nice area in JHB sells for R1.2 mil. The same house in the same type of suburb here in CPT would be around R4Mil.
    A “nice” house in a rather “nice” area of Jhb of 1.2mil??

I geuss “nice house” and “nice area” are very relative....

I do not know a reasonably “nice” area in the whole of Gauteng where you can get a “nice” house for 1.2mil.

Quote Originally Posted by RvanZ View Post
    Thanks guys

I will be spending some time this weekend finding all the places mentioned above, on Google maps, just to find my way.

Go and spend a long weekend in Cape Town during the winter.

If you still want to live there after that (esp. coming from Durbs), you’ll be ok.

Surely you can’t consider moving your life to a place you have never even been to??

Ps....If you think Durbs is “hilly” you will feel like you are climbing Mt. Everest every day in CpT.
    Last edited by Regard; 2018/05/04 at 06:24 PM.

I don't necessarily WANT to move.

Its all about my wife finding employment. She is the primary breadwinner, and we cannot survive on just my income. And so far the Durban salaries just don't cut it.

This is in part due to the current company she works for announcing the move and lots of staff bailing and flooding the market, so the values have dropped a bit.

She really enjoys what she does,and dreams of being with a one of the big national groups. Majority of those being based in Cape Town, and JHB which she is not keen on going to.

I don't actually care, I'll make a plan wherever. As long as I can go offroad and camping

I would think Durban probably has more hills in the suburbs than Capetown, Cape Town suburbs are relatively flat unless next to the mountain or when driving and you need to cross the mountain. Durban is flat at the beach and then progressively more hills as you head inland.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: Possible emigration to the country of Kaapstad

Quote Originally Posted by RvanZ View Post
    Thanks guys

If you're in the city itself it's downhill all the way to the CBD, where the work is, and uphill all the way back home pretty much in every direction, because all the suburbs are up against some or other part of the mountain. I used a bicycle myself for a couple of months several years ago, but traffic and the gusts of wind between buildings just made it too dangerous. It would take me anything from seven to 11 minutes to get to work and I would leave my bike in the garage right under our building instead of in the parking lot about 600 m from the building like I have to do with my car.

Some of the outlying areas can be flat and some pretty hilly. When Takealot's collection depot was still in Montague Gardens, more or less between Milnerton and Tableview, it would take me less time to get there by bike than by car, so I'm pretty sure a reasonably fit cyclist would also get to the outlying areas of Tableview quicker than most motorists. There's an Astroturf cycling path as well nowadays, but most cyclists appear to still be using the motorway. I've been told they complain that the wind blows thorns onto the cycling path...
    There is only one...

When Takealot's collection depot was still in Montague Gardens
    Was ?
    It still is....
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

so I've had a quick look at some rentals in the areas mentioned, and i like the look of the size of places in Rondebosch. and it seems quite close to city center.

we still like Milnerton too, but aren't too fusy.

either way, we will have to wait and see how the job hunt goes first.

as a matter of interest, which areas should be avoided at all cost for security reasons. (like informal settlements, or bordering on settlements, or has easy access to criminal elements)

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Jimny View Post
    Was ?
    It still is....
    Well yes, actually it is again, but at that time it was in one small unit in Longclaw Dr on the boundary with Milnerton, before it moved to a larger warehouse in Computer Way just off Omuramba, in Joe Slovo Park, I guess, before moving to the current warehouse on the other side of Montague Gardens.
    There is only one...

There is a reason so many people move to the Cape.... however I suggest a trip there for at least a week before making any decisions. I think you will find it is like another country. And I mean that in a good way.

The commute to Town is a nightmare from anywhere. I bought a house in Durbanville and is taking the Business Express train to town, it's a luxury commuter train that works quite well. By far the best option for me. Stay clear of the Southern Subs, in my opinion.

The price of houses in C.T. is just crazy. Stayed at my cousins house in Claremont last week. My cousin is busy with his PhD and is an electric engineer...I could never understand why he lived in such an old house...he then told me that his Neighbours house is two bedroom, no garage, yard size about 380m2 and sold for R3.2mil. In Jhb, we would not even give such a house a second look...

I told my wife that living in C.T. is never going to happen if that's the price of properties....if you want a 1000m2 yard, like we have in Jhb, then you need a budget closer to R5 mil.

btw, Claremont is a nice area and very central...Uber was like R120 to town/airport/waterfront...much cheaper than Jhb....the area has lots of restaurants and cafes, has its own small town with car dealerships, etc. We parked on the road, a lot, and never had any issues...and this was with a polo.

Strongly recommend you guys go spend some time in capetown.

Someone mentioned it here already, and I believe its true, you're either a durban person, or a capetown person.

I'm definitely a Durban person (and spent 4 years there). There's just something about capetown that doesnt fit for me each time I go there. And i havent even experienced the winter there - freezing cold and wet?? Sounds like hell on earth for me .

Also, are your wife's skills in high demand? My gut is, with the economy diving, stick with your company, and if they say jump you say how high. JHB is no holiday, but there'll probably better opportunities for you too?
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by veedub View Post
    The price of houses in C.T. is just crazy. Stayed at my cousins house in Claremont last week. My cousin is busy with his PhD and is an electric engineer...I could never understand why he lived in such an old house...he then told me that his Neighbours house is two bedroom, no garage, yard size about 380m2 and sold for R3.2mil. In Jhb, we would not even give such a house a second look...

I told my wife that living in C.T. is never going to happen if that's the price of properties....if you want a 1000m2 yard, like we have in Jhb, then you need a budget closer to R5 mil.

btw, Claremont is a nice area and very central...Uber was like R120 to town/airport/waterfront...much cheaper than Jhb....the area has lots of restaurants and cafes, has its own small town with car dealerships, etc. We parked on the road, a lot, and never had any issues...and this was with a polo.
    All true, but the Southern Suburbs are more expensive than the Northern in general, and Claremont is probably one of the more expensive suburbs in the south, so it's not a very good benchmark. The yards are tiny and by far the greatest part of the whole area was developed yonks ago, so there are very few newer properties. If you do find something newish, chances are it will be in a high density security complex and also very expensive. The south is also a lot wetter and colder than pretty much anywhere else in the Cape Metropole. They get rain quite often when the rest of us don't get any and for a large part of the year the sun is gone by 16:00. But since it's wetter it probably looks more like Durban, because the vegetation is always that little bit greener and more lush there.
    There is only one...

I lived in Cape Town for almost 10 years from KZN inland. Make sure your cars' heaters work, wet winters shall humble you. If she is paid well, you could get by comfortably, obviously until you have to buy a house. I lived in Stellenbosch, Strand, Langa and Parklands but I could never be at peace with house prices, it was just too much. Overall, Cape Town is an awesome city, nature is everywhere. Actually when we moved to Jozi, what I missed the most was just taking Sunday drives and knowing that if I drive 20kms one way, I could be in a different part of town. Not in Joburg. But I have since moved back to small town KZN. I ask wife if she misses it, she doesn't and she is from there! Go enjoy it, be at peace if it doesn't connect with you. I got over it, but that's not a reflection on CT but my love for simple living.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KhayeM For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: Possible emigration to the country of Kaapstad

I relocated from Morningside, Durban to Cape Town in February. I had been here many times on holiday and more times leading up to finalising my new position. It was really difficult getting somewhere to stay that had offstreet parking and allowed pets, and I'd say impossible in the city bowl (we have 3 cats) unless you're spending 20k up on rent.

If you love Durban as much as I did you don't want to stay in City Bowl. The environment was quite overwhelming for me in terms of density, I felt very anxious looking at property there with neighbours everywhere. There isn't a lot of SPACE, and to be honest it isn't as great as all the articles online make it out to be a cool place to live, UNLESS you dig the city lifestyle. Woodstock is touted as the place to be, but to be honest it is quite literally Umbilo.

Wherever you live look at where all the grocery stores are as this eases your day to life a lot. Cape Town is really small compared to Durban and there aren't a lot of big shops or malls unless you head out of the city, and as others have said if you live there you will be stuck in traffic for hours sometimes heading in to work.

I've settled in Newlands which is in the northern part of the southern suburbs. It's known as the wettest suburb in South Africa as it's in the shadow of the mountain and gets a lot of rain. The vegetation is also very similar to KZN not like the dry desert of the city bowl. It takes me 15-20 min to get to the office in Zonneblom, 8min after hours.
    Rondebosch, upper Mowbray, Rosebank and parts of Observatory are also nice but anywhere here is driven by student accomodation for UCT so be aware of that.

Otherwise if you can handle slightly more commuting time look at Claremont, Harfield Village and Wynberg. These suburbs, along with Newlands are close to Cavendish Mall which has almost every store you can think of. Really, really cool area in itself and literally a separate city to Cape Town if you will. You could go further to Constantia as well, depends on what you can afford.

The first month here I REALLY missed Durban and just wanted to go back. 2 months later I can't imagine living anywhere else. It's an incredible city with SO much to do.

More vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aANRjsFK8D8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBfEOcfYOlU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDHceOVlWMI
    Last edited by xdoomx; 2018/05/07 at 11:10 AM.
    - Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2014 (Cooper Discover P285/70/17 // Mickey Thompson Sidewinder II's // Teraflex 2" levelling kit // Renegade front/rear steel bumpers)
    - (SOLD 2017/03) Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 XLE 4x2 Manual 2005 (Falken Landair 31/10.5/15)

On a recent trip to JHB I was introduce to the new concierge at my old Hotel of employ who worked for 7 years in Cape Town.

I asked him how does he enjoy living in JHB compared to Cape town.

The answer was "Its nice to take a bath and not feel guilty about it"

In JHB salaries are generally higher and accommodation much cheaper.

Were as in Cape town salaries are generally lower and housing much more expensive.

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Quote Originally Posted by xdoomx View Post

Wherever you live look at where all the grocery stores are as this eases your day to life a lot. Cape Town is really small compared to Durban and there aren't a lot of big shops or malls unless you head out of the city, and as others have said if you live there you will be stuck in traffic for hours sometimes heading in to work.
    Not too many malls, no, but the V&A Waterfront with one very big and at least two smaller malls and stacks of other shops and restaurants outside is just a quick drive down Buitengragt, especially after hours, and almost everything stays open until 21:00, the very nice PicknPay until 22:00. Canal Walk is also just down the road next to the N1 and open until 21:00 as well. Traffic is flowing pretty freely from about 18:30 - 19:00 onwards most of the time.

I'm not obsessed with living in the City Bowl at all, I got a place here purely for convenience's sake when I started working in the city, but today I'm very glad I did, even though my current place is a little small and has only off-street parking and no garage. I don't need a lot of conveniences, but living close to work was my first priority and it has only been reinforced over the years. I can see that it's not for everyone though, and a visit before moving here should be a requirement imo.
    There is only one...

I am surprised your wife expects to working in city bowl. Most of the retail companies are in Epping, Milnerton and Montague Gardens. Head offices tend to be near Claremont.

From this perspective Rondebosch is nice so is Pinelands. The challenge to Rondebosch/Claremont is all the schools. Getting in and out during school time is very difficult. A lot of people prefer Pinelands for this reason. If you have or are planning kids then Rondebosch puts you in the catchment of some of the best Government schools in the country. Makes schooling reliable without having to spend the extras for private schooling. Newlands is part of this but prices are high and it never stops raining there under normal Cape weather conditions. Winter is a rather glum time under the shadow of the mountain on that side.

If she is going to be in Montague Gardens that brings to costs down as it opens up Milnerton, Tableview, Blouberg and if your prepared to travel for lifestyle even Melkbos.

Yes Durban is hilly. Cape Town has a mountain in the middle. SO you go around it one wa or the other. This limits access routes and stuffs up the traffic. Also in Durban people almost never drive more than 20 minutes. Visiting your friends in Jo'burg is easier than those in Hillcrest. Cape Town will have you in your car for a lot longer going to work and back unless you are very lucky. Then on weekends people stay in their local villages.

Also Durban and Cape Town people are very very different. While most Durbanites love Jo'burg and the friendly people - once they have got over the loss of the ocean. In Cape Town they feel cheated as in their experience the sea is now unusable as its too cold. Its hard to break into the local friendship circles which mostly have been going since they were at school together. Having an active hobby or sport can change this considerably.

My advice is get the addresses where she is most likely to work. As a Durbanite they may say Cape Town but once plotted you might find its in Woodstock for instance. Then decide what is important. Walks on the beach. Note the western Seaboard water is only useable to hardened Capies. Whatever is important to you. Then work out how much time commuting you are prepared to put up with. Note Durban the light comes early and leaves early. In the Cape the light comes later and in summer leaves later. In winter you could be driving to and from work in the dark. WIth this info0rmation you can make a much better decision.

My credentials. i was born in Durban. Schooled in Gauteng and Natal and Varsity in the Cape. Since then lived in Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg on more than one occasion in each. In Cape Town I have lived in Newlands, Llandudno, Noordhoek, Bo-Kaap, Greenpoiint, Milnerton and eventually bought and still own a place on the side of the mountain in Muizenberg. I always worked close to the harbour - initially for Portnet. I chose to live close to the sea I could get into most often. If I got up early enough to be through the Kirstenbosch traffic lights on the N3 before 7am my daily commute was less than an hour. Going home is more painful. In summer that gives me lots of time to play in the sea after work. The problem with that route is the stretch past Wynberg to Newlands as all the school commuters use this bit to get to the schools in the area.

If where you live is too nice in December when everybody is on holiday getting home can be a pain. Then you could let it out and go on great holidays to other places paid for by those same tourists.Generally Cape Town rents are lower than other places for equivalent when you are outside city bowl and the school belt.

2012 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE - Amazingly competent
    2014 Crosspolo 1.2TSI - General runabout
    2011 KTM 990 Adventure - The classic can do bike
    Sadly sold: 2004 Disco 2 V8 - My beach cottage no more
    Finally retired: 2006 Volvo XC70 - Swambo's platkar that could

Quote Originally Posted by xdoomx View Post
    Woodstock is touted as the place to be, but to be honest it is quite literally Umbilo.
    Don't confuse living in Woodstock with partying, shopping or working in Woodstock - there's a very small residential section of Woodstock that is gentrifying, and has been gentrifying for ever, and that is the area around Roodebloem Road. Yes, there is a lot of very trendy retail development taking place, markets, restaurants, craft beer, craft gin etc etc, but mostly that is happening along the two main roads (Victoria and Alfred, aka Main and Lower Main) and within former industrial precincts (Old Biscuit Mill, Mason's Press, etc etc). For a newcomer to Cape Town, rather look at the areas around the CBD or the more suburban areas as mentioned - Woodstock is not for the faint of heart (but I love it, and my office is in the heart of it).
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2018/05/07 at 02:26 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast