Importing a car for parts?

Default Importing a car for parts?

I love my Terrano, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to get parts for it. I have been exploring all sorts of options, but would like to hear from the forum what one could do / what people have done to solve this problem. (Taking out the minister of transport or other dimwits is not on the agenda!)

There are many Terrano's in the UK and they're priced amazingly. So I was thinking: Bring one in as spares and replace everything on mine that needs replacing, with parts from the one I brought in. Alternatively, replace certain parts on the brought in one with parts from mine and keep running it with the same VIN number. Can that be done and at what stage do the powers that be in guverment consider by combined vehicle illegal. (The fact that I'm having to ask this just proves to be how completely ludicrous these regulations are).

So, what can be / has been done?

Default Re: Importing a car for parts?

I don't think they will have a problem if you go over there, strip it and put it in a big box and ship it here. Then again if you buy a car over there and ship it in, would it cost that much? Especially if it is an old car.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 270 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT, 40 000Km on Bio Diesel
    Rand for Rand gets 33Km/L

I have to explored this in the past wrt vehicle engines and parts and found amazing deals abroad. The problem with import is that there are duties, VAT and surcharges apart from just shipping costs, that quickly rack up.

A 700 car ends up R70000 to get here. Volume imports is a different story all together.

You can't bring it in as single import.

You'd need to strip the engine and gearbox out and send that as one shipment or sell it there and then the body trim and other stuff as another shipment.

As far as I know, the body/chassis may not be imported.

I'd rather see if there is an online spares place in the UK that will ship you just the items you need.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by MBLife View Post
    I have to explored this in the past wrt vehicle engines and parts and found amazing deals abroad. The problem with import is that there are duties, VAT and surcharges apart from just shipping costs, that quickly rack up.

A 700 car ends up R70000 to get here. Volume imports is a different story all together.
    I have bought parts before and there are no duties on them, just VAT, which is fine. The question is this: If I don't strip the car there, but do it here, will it be allowed? I know I can't register the car, but if I get someone to load it into a container over there, I ship it here and then start the work, will that be a problem?

I may be wrong, but a second hand import will attract duty and VAT. I think SABS may also be involved to clear the vehicle for SA.

Stripping there and shipping the parts may be better.

https://www.milneroffroad.com/nissan/terrano

Have you tried Milners? They shop worldwide and they have a good stock of nissan parts .

I have ordered parts from them before. When they get to SA you get a reminder from post office or courier, go the office to pay the duty and you are done. Duty was not that high from what I remember .

Unless you need large components like cylinder heads or body panels , this is your best bet .

Cheers

An option would be to ship the complete vehicle to a country like Botswana that allows that and then strip all the parts needed there and bring them back to Sa, probably won't even pay duties/vat on the parts if it they come through the border post via Botswana.

PM sent, lifeboy.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

there's a ford maverick on gumtree for R18 000.
    isn't that the same as a terrano?

well for a start exclude the UK as the used cars are not that good there after so many years , they are rusted buckets and generally chaps do not look after them and many problems importing as mentioned rather look at your options from RSA neighbors like Bots
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

You can import the second hand vehicle, no problem, but as far as I know, the only problem bringing in a 2nd hand vehicle is that you cannot register it locally.

But I do remember speaking to to an MG dealer many years ago, where he did mention he had to bring engines and stripped bodies in separately. He had the doors removed and put the doors and the engine in in one shipment, and his neighbour brought in a "stripped" body without doors, (both these "separate" shipments were then put in the same container to save costs) and shipped to Johannesburg by the agent in the foreign country (in this case Australia).

But things could have changed in the interim.....
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    But I do remember speaking to to an MG dealer many years ago, where he did mention he had to bring engines and stripped bodies in separately. He had the doors removed and put the doors and the engine in in one shipment, and his neighbour brought in a "stripped" body without doors,
    precisely

and remember, MG falls under classic vehicles and the Sports Car Club of SA can vouch for them as such, which gets special import dispensation from SARS

If you bring a complete Terrano in, you won't even be allowed to move it from the dock without a SADC transit permit and a flatbed.

@lifeboy: why don't you try Jap used vehicles? less KMs, less salt.

Although the Nissan Mistral hasn't been sold there in 20 years.............

Here we go.

https://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/2...-for-sale.html

USD$4,000, dropped off in Durban.

Another one:

https://www.japanesecartrade.com/281...-suv-1998.html
    Last edited by jelo; 2018/04/30 at 08:38 AM.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus