Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Default Re: Spotlights banned

Just saw this:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A wise man understands, an intelligent man knows, but a fool pretends to know.

Luka Geertsema

In Aussie yes, you looking for trouble here ZA. Doubt they can get special permission to do that here, and then good luck trying to fight with every second cop, or still better, at the Nam border post when they won't let you go through with it mounted. My son got stopped with his two week old GD6 Fortuna with one mounted behind the factory bumper by Toyota themselves. He had to have it removed which meant removing the bumper.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Why do people insist on these things? I replaced my original Defender head lights and these new ones are enough. I don't need to light up a cricket stadium. I too have been on the wrong end of these light bars at night, because some 6 sided container thinks he's cool with them.
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2021/05/01 at 08:53 AM.
    A sure sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    Why do people insist on these things? I replaced my original Defender head lights and these new ones are enough. I don't need to light up a cricket stadium. I too have been on the wrong end of these light bars at night, because some 6 sided container thinks he's cool with them.
    EXACTLY >> Waste of time and a Gimmick for the Manne

A few shops that I have visited have removed their Led bars from the sales shelves.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

It is about time that they are banned. Light is Light and needs to be applied in order to increase visibility for the user/driver. Unfortunately LED's have become the toys of power to inconsiderate road users that have no idea on behavior.
    I have been blinded by these road Pigs during daylight. Led Lightbars & Led Spots are dangerous, so ban them outright and impose hefty fines to those that have them fitted. This will enhance safety amongst motorists and encourage improved behavior.
    Alan Exton
    ZS6E
    LandCruiser 100 Series VX 4.2 Diesel

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alan Exton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Exton View Post
    It is about time that they are banned. Light is Light and needs to be applied in order to increase visibility for the user/driver. Unfortunately LED's have become the toys of power to inconsiderate road users that have no idea on behavior.
    I have been blinded by these road Pigs during daylight. Led Lightbars & Led Spots are dangerous, so ban them outright and impose hefty fines to those that have them fitted. This will enhance safety amongst motorists and encourage improved behavior.
    I agree.
    If people cannot behave like civilized adults, treat them like children. I have heard of a few guys that have found their vehicle's road-worthy certificates withdrawn, when it came time to renew the license. I say good on the cops in this case. But I am afraid if we have to wait for them to sort the problem out, it's going to take forever.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:

Even a car is dangerous in the hands of a hooligan.

I removed my lightbar for legal reasons but I really miss it due to the fact that I often drive farm roads at night and it helps a huge amount for safety.

Some modern cars have impressive brights and legal spots can be just as blinding.

Dont blame the equipment, blame the user.

But as long as the coos can make easy money from speeders and lightbar users, the unroadworthy, unlicensed drunks get away with murder while the cops chase petty crime that yields easy money.

Phillistines. Our country's authorities are a joke!

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    Even a car is dangerous in the hands of a hooligan.

I removed my lightbar for legal reasons but I really miss it due to the fact that I often drive farm roads at night and it helps a huge amount for safety.

Some modern cars have impressive brights and legal spots can be just as blinding.

Dont blame the equipment, blame the user.

But as long as the coos can make easy money from speeders and lightbar users, the unroadworthy, unlicensed drunks get away with murder while the cops chase petty crime that yields easy money.

Phillistines. Our country's authorities are a joke!
    And if we stopped giving them the easy money from speeding and putting illegal lightbars on our vehicles, they would have to focus on the others to earn their means.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to supersunbird For This Useful Post:

Is it legal to use set of Hella 500's as driving lamps to improve a Defender's poor low beams? Aimed properly downwards as not to blind oncoming traffic, of course.
    I'm gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked.

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    And if we stopped giving them the easy money from speeding and putting illegal lightbars on our vehicles, they would have to focus on the others to earn their means.
    I Have been pulled over for "speeding" once. When I showed him the dashcam and offered to prove I wasnt, he let me go.

I have zero trust in the authorities. Zero!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    I Have been pulled over for "speeding" once. When I showed him the dashcam and offered to prove I wasnt, he let me go.

I have zero trust in the authorities. Zero!
    That's a totally different kettle of fish.

You didn't say "chase fake petty crime" in your post.

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    Is it legal to use set of Hella 500's as driving lamps to improve a Defender's poor low beams? Aimed properly downwards as not to blind oncoming traffic, of course.
    Short answer is no... not legal...
    Always need to only be operating with brights, and with an additional switch on it as well...

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillemT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WillemT View Post
    Short answer is no... not legal...
    Always need to only be operating with brights, and with an additional switch on it as well...
    So no legal options for a second set of low beam driving lights? Only way is to upgrade the headlamps?

So no legal options for a second set of low beam driving lights? Only way is to upgrade the headlamps?
    Yip, you can only upgrade globes or entire unit, but can't run "dual dims." But I must say, you would the least of the problem if you did go that route, as long as you have a proper low beam cut-off pattern. Hella may actually make a replacement unit for the round and square headlight units. I think it's OEM for many manufacturers. I bought my Hardbody with Hella headlights, and run them with Nightbreaker globes which are also "E" certified, as far as I remember. Just don't try and upgrade to an HID or LED globe. HID can never be aligned inside a halogen reflector. You may however find a LED replacement, but the units with the correct certification and light patterns are not cheap. You would be looking at prices starting at around $139 before shipping and govamunt tax. Tonight I'll post a link to a youtube channel that is dedicated to testing LED lights and globes. They have some great info to support their online shop. It becomes very obvious why DOT and "E" globes are so much more expensive than the other rubbish that is out there, which the maplotters pick up at the China Malls, and then go out and blind everybody with.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:

Guys, most new vehicles have lights that are way too bright especially at a certain angle.
    I have found that not looking right into the light like a springhare does help a lot so spots and light bars do not bother me much.
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Yip, you can only upgrade globes or entire unit, but can't run "dual dims." But I must say, you would the least of the problem if you did go that route, as long as you have a proper low beam cut-off pattern. Hella may actually make a replacement unit for the round and square headlight units. I think it's OEM for many manufacturers. I bought my Hardbody with Hella headlights, and run them with Nightbreaker globes which are also "E" certified, as far as I remember. Just don't try and upgrade to an HID or LED globe. HID can never be aligned inside a halogen reflector. You may however find a LED replacement, but the units with the correct certification and light patterns are not cheap. You would be looking at prices starting at around $139 before shipping and govamunt tax. Tonight I'll post a link to a youtube channel that is dedicated to testing LED lights and globes. They have some great info to support their online shop. It becomes very obvious why DOT and "E" globes are so much more expensive than the other rubbish that is out there, which the maplotters pick up at the China Malls, and then go out and blind everybody with.
    So "duel dims" would in effect be "dims + foglights" and subject to the same regulations I.e. only allowed under poor visibility conditions such as fog?

Please note that these lights have a lot of 'light spill" IOW light that goes wide of center, so even if you face them down they will still blind..

A "dim" or low beam light must be designed to effectively prohibit any light from "spilling" above a certain height.

That is why some replacement bulbs are illegal, because they vary in length and thus differ in distance from the reflector and lens, causing light to refract incorrectly and then blind oncoming vehicles' drivers..

I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

I don't COMPLETELY agree

Yes, LED lights/bars should be banned on public roads, they have no place there. I do however have a large LED bar mounted to my vehicle and make extensive use of it when driving gravel roads in and around Namibia. If you've ever been on the receiving end of a Kudu, you'll know how invaluable good lighting is.

I do have mine on a separate switch and a quick connector on the front. I keep it unplugged when making use of public roads and only plugged in when I really need the extra light. So far cops seem okay with it
    My speelding: 2012 VW Amarok 2.0 TDI
    Vrou se speelding: Astra OuPC

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeepman85 For This Useful Post:

Donkey carts don't have LED's, but development is ongoing.

If you are still stuck in tradition, so be it, buy a set of Polaroid sunglasses
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast