Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default Spotlights banned

So this article in Lowvelder pretty much says LED lights are illegal.

https://lowvelder.co.za/429838/stern...ights-allowed/

I never really been a fan of the LED bar, too often I been on the receiving end of it when the driver really did not need to have it on.

But Labuschange goes on to say all non-factory fit lights should be banned. That is going to ruffle a lot of feathers.

There is a place for spots when you off-road. Maybe they going to have to been easily detachable.
    Pajero Sport 2013 3.2 A/T

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tallhorse For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Spotlights banned

Stem saam met gebruik van led bars op paaie is verkeerd.

Interessant die laaste deeltjie in artikel waar hulle s mense het die gewoonte aangeleer om onnodig hul hoofligte aan te sit.... ek dog die dryfveer agter altyd met hoofligte aan te ry kom juis van regering...
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

Roof top spots have always been illegal. If you add driving/spot lights to your car they have to be positioned below and between your headlights. In addition they need to have a separate switch and have to be wired to your highbeam so that when you dim your lights the spots go off. This is the way I've always understood the rules. There was also something about they had to have covers as well.
    If they get it right to ban all extra lights that weren't factory fitted, Defenders, Jeep Wranglers and some Toyota's will be day time drivers only 8)

The other one that infuriates me are the people that drive with their rear fog tail lights on. Vehicles like BMW's, Audi and VW Golf and Polo's have extremely bright fog tail lights.
    Last edited by TonyP; 2018/04/27 at 05:46 AM.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

6. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

Most are illegal because they don't have the SABS er E stamp on them.

they can not be higher than the factory driving lights

not more than 6 lights, including factory driving lights and fog lights

and no bars across the front , there has to be 2 equally spaced from the center line of the car.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RangerWerner For This Useful Post:

Never been a fan of LED bars !! So , it does not bother me !! Plus the guys who do have them , abuse them !! Working nightshift till three in the mornings , i was a regular victim of these lightbar brigade !! So , SORRY if i step on innocent peoples toes here !!

They should remove these vechiles license disc's !! Period !! Sorry for the few innocent people !!

Just my my personal opinion !!

I do not have a problem with decent normal spot lights ! Those are not so much abused !
    Last edited by johannes14; 2018/04/27 at 06:23 AM.
    2004 Defender TD5
    1992 Defender 3.5V8
    PROJECT OVERHAUL http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...oject+overhaul

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to johannes14 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Stem saam met gebruik van led bars op paaie is verkeerd.

Interessant die laaste deeltjie in artikel waar hulle s mense het die gewoonte aangeleer om onnodig hul hoofligte aan te sit.... ek dog die dryfveer agter altyd met hoofligte aan te ry kom juis van regering...
    Ek dink hy meen "brights". Wat's die afrikaans vir brights nouweer?

Nee, hy s : switch headlights on unnecessary
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Well, considering how the guy doesn't go into details like the E thing and in his ignorance says The traffic act does not allow the display of LED lights whatsoever and this is a stern warning that the department will clamp down on motorists who have it fitted. It is strictly against the law, while in fact some after market ones can be legal, given that, I assume he means brights and is just unable to communicate effectively. Normal headlights cannot really impact other road users negatively (besides sometimes motorcyclists in denser traffic during night/dusk/dawn).

Dan ry daardie swaap seker 'n ou skedonk want alle moderne voertuie is toegerus met "day time running lights". Die regering het ook bestuurders aangemoedig om tydens paasnaweke met hoofligte aangeskakel te bestuur.
    Dit verhoog beslis sigbaarheid van 'n voertuig vir ander motoriste.

Ek stem saam oor die idiote wat met hulle motors se agter misligte aangeskakel bestuur. Dit is soos om met "brights" aan te ry en as jy die sot van sy eie medisyne gee dan verstaan hy gladnie wat met jou aangaan nie.
    Dit is ook omdat hulle nie hulle motors ken nie en gladnie eens weet hulle gebruik daardie lig nie. Dit dryf mens tot raserny.
    Last edited by Karoo Klong; 2018/04/27 at 08:01 AM.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Karoo Klong For This Useful Post:

Ons moet REGTIG van Apoc se info oor headlights en spotlights 'n Sticky maak.

ELKE maand is daar so 'n dom bespreking oor die goed en al die ou mietes en rumours kom weer uit.

Die RTA is baie duidelik.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Correct the RTA is very clear, then why do so many people install illegal lights in illegal places on their vehicles? It's the South African way. "The rules are for other people, not for me". Their vehicles should be impounded.

18. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Their vehicles should be impounded.
    Agree completely.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, youre missing the point.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

Given that in Botswana, you most often encounter animals roaming in the road reserve, perhaps some consideration can be given for responsible use of such lights. I would suggest that instead of banning the lights, the law should have a provision that they can only be installed with automatic dimming. No auto dimming, no LEDs. That's fair, isn't it?

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swilliams For This Useful Post:

Correct the RTA is very clear, then why do so many people install illegal lights in illegal places on their vehicles? It's the South African way. "The rules are for other people, not for me". Their vehicles should be impounded.
    owe you a beer
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Ok so Just trying to understand. Is this also banned?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm thirsty already

The law already states that the spotlights have to turn off when you dim your headlights
    Last edited by TonyP; 2018/04/27 at 11:23 AM.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bostokkelos View Post
    Ok so Just trying to understand. Is this also banned?
    You are 100% legal. The spots are below and between your headlights. The fog lights are factory fitted. Just make sure your spots go out when you select dim headlights

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

The other one that infuriates me are the people that drive with their rear fog tail lights on. Vehicles like BMW's, Audi and VW Golf and Polo's have extremely bright fog tail lights.
    This. There are apparently laws that allow for hefty fines in other countries if you get caught driving with fog lights on when there is no fog.

If they get it right to ban all extra lights that weren't factory fitted, Defenders, Jeep Wranglers and some Toyota's will be day time drivers only 8)
    But this is my biggest problem. Or I will have to drive with a cigarette lighter out the window, which will be brighter than my factory lights, but then you have the fire hazard...so day time driving it is then. Think Trevor Noah, but not Daywalker...Daydriver ;-)
    A sure sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post:

Regarding the article, it is written terribly and no detail is provided. From article -

"He explained that in terms of the National Road Traffic Act, LED lights are not permitted"

A proper journalist would have asked and quoted the official as to exactly what part of the NRTA makes LED lights illegal. And if the official did "explain" it, why doesn't the article explain it to the readers?

Regarding the legality of the lights, I have read through the NRTA, and cannot find anything in it that makes fitting 2 x LED lights illegal.

Some things to be noted are -

Lights must be approved lights, so they must have the SABS or E markings on them.
    Lights should be fitted in pairs (so no single lightbar), at the same height and at equal distance from the centre line of the vehicle.
    No light may cross the centre line of the vehicle (so once again no centrally mounted lightbars allowed)
    And the all the other specs like must be fitted between the minimum and maximum allowed heights set out in the act, maximum distance where beam of light must strike the road, etc.

I cannot find anything that specifically prohibits or bans LED lights (if they comply with the parameters set out in the act)

The problem is the act was written pre-LED, so it does not deal with the issue. If they want to ban LED's, so be it, but then they have to amend the act. They cannot make up stuff that isn't in the act and police it as such.

Like a traffic officer that once told me LED lights are illegal because each LED counts as a globe, and you are only allowed 6 globes on the front of your vehicle. When I asked him to show me in the act where it says that each LED counts as a globe he got angry at me, because he knows there is nothing like that in there, and he was wrong. And he got even more angry, when I showed him that according to him, his own car was also illegal, because it had 8 globes for the front of the vehicle. 2 x Parks, 2 x H7's for dipped beam, 2 x H1's for Main Beam and 2 x Fog Lights.

They must first decide on the changes needed, then amend the act suitably, then explain it to their officers, AND THEN they can explain it to the reporters and public.

32. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Brannas For This Useful Post:

Agreed Brannas, I think the Lowvelder reporter did very little homework and doesn't seem to know the subject very well.
    I have no problem with LED lights, but I do have a problem with Bar lights, simply because they are in contrevention of the existing act and people mount them in illegal places on the vehicle.
    I have a philosophy that if we want all South Africans to obay our laws, we need to set the example which starts with getting those ilegal lights off your vehicle.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast