Amarok Auto Gearbox Shudder after Oil Change Service

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Amarok Auto Gearbox Shudder after Oil Change Service

Hi Guys,

I need some assistance with my 2013 Amarok Auto 4Motion.
    It has 87 000km on the clock and was running smoothly.

2 weeks ago I had the gearbox oil changed by ZF themselves in Port Elizabeth, as per the recommendation by them. Before collecting the vehicle I phoned to find out if everything is sorted to which they responded that the vehicle has a shudder in all the gears. They are busy doing an adaptation drive.
    When collecting the vehicle the shudder had improved according to the technician and that I must drive it and see. They had to catch a return flight back to Cape Town.

As I turned the first corner it shuddered changing into 4th and up with light throttle acceleration. The whole dashboard was shuddering and shaking. If you accelerate with 50% throttle all is good and smooth.
    I was asked to drive the vehicle for 200km. But after 500km it did not improve and they were back to see and flush the box. This improved it a lot. But the shudder is not gone just not as bad. It happens usually in 4th, 5th & 6th in the 1200-2000rpm range. If it shifts an the revs stay above 2000rpm it is fine. Even in 7th and 8th it is fine at low rpm.

I am now trying to get this sorted with ZF but they can not understand why it suddenly does this after a simple oil change?
    Has this happened to anyone? Any advice?

I am leaving on a 5000km trip in just over 2 weeks time. We have checked propshaft, wheel balancing, no fault codes at all and the adaptation values are good according to ZF.
    I regret doing the oil change but it can not be undone. You try to prevent future issues and now you have issues.

Default Re: Amarok Auto Gearbox Shudder after Oil Change Service

I've read that this often happens on the ZF boxes after a flush and oil change.

Maybe PM this guy:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...s-South-Africa

[B]ZF Services South Africa (Pty) Ltd.
    170 Herman Street, Meadowdale, Ext. 3, Germiston
    P.O.Box 2098, Kempton Park, 1620

Nico Eksteen
    Supervisor - Passenger Vehicles
    Phone:011 457 0005
    Cell: 082 776 2757
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]Email: [email protected]
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I've read that this often happens on the ZF boxes after a flush and oil change.

Maybe PM this guy:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...s-South-Africa

[B]ZF Services South Africa (Pty) Ltd.
    170 Herman Street, Meadowdale, Ext. 3, Germiston
    P.O.Box 2098, Kempton Park, 1620

Nico Eksteen
    Supervisor - Passenger Vehicles
    Phone:011 457 0005
    Cell: 082 776 2757
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=black]Email: [email protected]
    Thanks. Will send him a PM. According to the guys who worked on my Amarok it is not normal and cannot cause this.
    They can not understand why. I am waiting for a way forward from them but they want take the box out and see what is wrong.
    It did not have issues and costs will now be involved. Ai jai jai.

I need to find a solution asap.

Could it be a diff or prop shaft shudder ?
    Last edited by Greenhorn; 2018/04/26 at 06:27 AM.

I also had my transmission serviced at ZF in Edenvale.

No shuddering afterwards, in fact I couldn't notice any differences in shift patterns.

Speak to Nico at ZF Edenvale, he did the service on my Amarok.

I am assuming the correct oil was used and it was filled to the correct level?
    No error lights on the dash?
    Darryn Van Rooyen
    2014 D/C Amarok 4Motion H/L Auto - 76mm Decat Downpipe and Revo Stage 1 Tune
    Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6

At this stage I am in contact with ZF in Johannesburg via Nico Eksteen.
    They are looking into it. And find the situation strange. Hopefully we solve the problem. . .

Oil levels were checked twice so I hope it is ok.
    It had no problems before the oil change and was recommended/done purely as preventative maintenance.

Got an email from ZF CPT late yesterday saying it is one of 3 options. Recon Torque Converter, new torque converter or box rebuild for R50k. .
    and also the following which can be true but at 87 000km it is highly unlikely as it has not been used hard. It did 87 000km over 1512 hrs which equates to 57.5kph average speed and 98% in drive, 1% in sport and 1% in manual mode: "Further to the above, pleasenote that an oil change will not damage the internal components, but new oilcan have the effect of oil with a lesser viscosity as the old oil will havesome contaminants due to the wear of clutch linings. This effect can highlighta defect in the transmission that could be due to wear."

Are they 100% certain they used the correct oil?
    If not it won't be the first time someone made a mistake like that and assuming everything else was done correctly that seems like the only logical answer, maybe the incorrect oil was used, I'd say worth a shot them flushing it a 2nd time to get the last traces of the first flush out. From what I understand at that mileage you would be within the limits for a safe oil change on terms of the clutch packs.

Can these boxes use that Dr Tranny stuff and others the Lr discovery guys use to help with shudder, if so worth a try before going to the rebuild stage if it gets to that.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2018/04/26 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Are they 100% certain they used the correct oil?
    If not it won't be the first time someone made a mistake like that and assuming everything else was done correctly that seems like the only logical answer, maybe the incorrect oil was used, I'd say worth a shot them flushing it a 2nd time to get the last traces of the first flush out. From what I understand at that mileage you would be within the limits for a safe oil change on terms of the clutch packs.

Can these boxes use that Dr Tranny stuff and others the Lr discovery guys use to help with shudder, if so worth a try before going to the rebuild stage if it gets to that.

That is what I have been wondering as well. First we have to ensure that everything has been done correctly bore just throwing money at it hoping it solves the problem.
    And yes mistakes happen and you fix it. Hopefully it is something simple. They are looking into it now and have asked for adaptation values. Luckily I checked these over the last 2 weeks to monitor it.

And yes, ZF's recommendation is oil change between 80000km - 120000km or 8 years. My vehicle is not yet 5 years old yet and only 87 000km.
    It was specifically done early to prevent issues later and now it has caused an issue.

I have thought about Dr Tranny, but nothing was wrong, so first it needs to be determined what is causing it. Changing or adding something NOT recommended by ZF could affect the fault finding etc.
    Last edited by Langsaam; 2018/04/26 at 12:10 PM.

Latest info is ZF in Johannesburg, Nico Eksteen and co, finds this occurrence very strange and they are sending a "Mobile Service Expert" to have a look at my vehicle next week.
    Lets see what he finds. . .

Once again, great service and support by ZF.
    Pitty about this hiccup I am experiencing. . . Ai. Hope we get it sorted and find out what is causing this.
    Gearbox wear or an error somewhere.

Nico has always been proactive on this forum.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Could it be a diff or prop shaft shudder ?
    Hi Greenhorn, was trying to figure out your comment last night regarding a “difficult shudder” .

We check propshafts etc and mountings as well. Could not find anything out of the ordinary. Propshaft on my year model is also not serviceable (staked UJ’s). Seems like newer ones are serviceable.

Everything was good delivering the vehicle the morning and then a hell of a shudder after the oil change. Only thing that changed was the gearbox oil service.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    I am assuming the correct oil was used and it was filled to the correct level?
    No error lights on the dash?
    Hi Dazza, the correct oil and level only ZF technician will know. I asked them after the service and it was double checked when they drove through the night to flush the box. I can only believe they would have it correct.
    No warning lights, and no fault codes at all in the DTC memory.

Waiting for arrangements from ZF to get the box checked and diagnosis. . .

They have said that it is a weird scenario and it does not make sense why this is happening. .

Default Amarok Auto Gearbox Shudder after Oil Change Service

So an update on the shuddering problem:

After oil change it shuddered heavily and adaptations were done and dis not solve the problem.
    Then the box was flushed and say 80% of the shuddering was gone but adaptations were not reset.
    This was the point at the start of the weekend with ZF planning on sending someone thus week.

Friday morning I get the idea to disconnect the battery for 30min or so and then also did a throttle pedal reset and took the Amarok for a drive. In the first 10km it still had the shudder but it did not happen as easily. Then it stopped.
    I have now done about 80km without a shudder at low rpm (1200-2000rpm) after a gear change in 4th, 5th and 6th gear with light throttle input. Just when you expect it to shudder again nothing happens . Just normal drivetrain and road input that you feel now.

Could this have solved the problem? Maybe the shuddering after the first oil change caused it to learn some random bad values with throttle input etc. i dont know.
    Will drive some more to see what it does and speak to the guys at ZF. . .
    Last edited by Langsaam; 2018/04/30 at 11:37 AM.

Maybe just air in the system that has now worked it's way through?.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    Maybe just air in the system that has now worked it's way through?.
    Possibly yes. But dont know.
    I just hope it stays away.

It is quite a relief after having a look at possibly spending thousands (R15k on recon torque converter up to over R50k for a gearbox rebuild as options from ZF)
    before I contacted Nico Eksteen and Reynier Snyman about the shuddering.

Well, hopefully it is sorted now.

Quote Originally Posted by Langsaam View Post
    So an update on the shuddering problem:

After oil change it shuddered heavily and adaptations were done and dis not solve the problem.
    Then the box was flushed and say 80% of the shuddering was gone but adaptations were not reset.
    This was the point at the start of the weekend with ZF planning on sending someone thus week.

Friday morning I get the idea to disconnect the battery for 30min or so and then also did a throttle pedal reset and took the Amarok for a drive. In the first 10km it still had the shudder but it did not happen as easily. Then it stopped.
    I have now done about 80km without a shudder at low rpm (1200-2000rpm) after a gear change in 4th, 5th and 6th gear with light throttle input. Just when you expect it to shudder again nothing happens . Just normal drivetrain and road input that you feel now.

Could this have solved the problem? Maybe the shuddering after the first oil change caused it to learn some random bad values with throttle input etc. i dont know.
    Will drive some more to see what it does and speak to the guys at ZF. . .

Hi, I'm got exactly the same problem as you. Has flushed the gearbox and got vibrations at low speeds. I desperately need help with this. Was your car ok after you disconnected the battery for 30min. etc.? did the vibrations disappear for good? Sincerely, Mikkel

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
    Hi, I'm got exactly the same problem as you. Has flushed the gearbox and got vibrations at low speeds. I desperately need help with this. Was your car ok after you disconnected the battery for 30min. etc.? did the vibrations disappear for good? Sincerely, Mikkel
    Hi, after the battery disconnect it got much better. Stil had a slight vibration/shudder. I however did a 6000km trip in 3 weeks just after this and had the guys from ZF on call if needed.

But alas the more I drove the better it got. After 1500km about it was gone and shifting as smoothly as before. Not 1 hiccup again until I sold it a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by Langsaam View Post
    Hi, after the battery disconnect it got much better. Stil had a slight vibration/shudder. I however did a 6000km trip in 3 weeks just after this and had the guys from ZF on call if needed.

But alas the more I drove the better it got. After 1500km about it was gone and shifting as smoothly as before. Not 1 hiccup again until I sold it a year later.
    Ok, thanks for the reply. Has now driven 1000km. and it has gotten a little better. Hopefully the shaking will be gone after a while. Must have good patience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast