Amarok Auto Gearbox Shudder after Oil Change Service - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Amarok Auto Gearbox Shudder after Oil Change Service

Quote Originally Posted by Langsaam View Post
    Hi Guys,

I need some assistance with my 2013 Amarok Auto 4Motion.
    It has 87 000km on the clock and was running smoothly.

2 weeks ago I had the gearbox oil changed by ZF themselves in Port Elizabeth, as per the recommendation by them. Before collecting the vehicle I phoned to find out if everything is sorted to which they responded that the vehicle has a shudder in all the gears. They are busy doing an adaptation drive.
    When collecting the vehicle the shudder had improved according to the technician and that I must drive it and see. They had to catch a return flight back to Cape Town.

As I turned the first corner it shuddered changing into 4th and up with light throttle acceleration. The whole dashboard was shuddering and shaking. If you accelerate with 50% throttle all is good and smooth.
    I was asked to drive the vehicle for 200km. But after 500km it did not improve and they were back to see and flush the box. This improved it a lot. But the shudder is not gone just not as bad. It happens usually in 4th, 5th & 6th in the 1200-2000rpm range. If it shifts an the revs stay above 2000rpm it is fine. Even in 7th and 8th it is fine at low rpm.

I am now trying to get this sorted with ZF but they can not understand why it suddenly does this after a simple oil change?
    Has this happened to anyone? Any advice?

I am leaving on a 5000km trip in just over 2 weeks time. We have checked propshaft, wheel balancing, no fault codes at all and the adaptation values are good according to ZF.
    I regret doing the oil change but it can not be undone. You try to prevent future issues and now you have issues.
    I feel like your explaining the exact same amarok that I now own. It wasn't a silver double cab highline by any chance? Lol 😂 took it in to mayfair gearbox and diff to have torque converter reconed,got the vehicle back yesterday driven about 360km has not shuddered again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joddy View Post
    I feel like your explaining the exact same amarok that I now own. It wasn't a silver double cab highline by any chance? Lol 😂 took it in to mayfair gearbox and diff to have torque converter reconed,got the vehicle back yesterday driven about 360km has not shuddered again.
    I have a silver double cab highline with exact the same problem😁

Mine was also silver highline .
    Drove the vehicle another year and almost 20 000km with no further issues before I sold it in PE for a 2019.

They also wanted to recon my torqueconverter, but was never done and never had any further issues. All learnt values etc were within spec and no faults were logged at all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Langsaam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
    I have a silver double cab highline with exact the same problem��
    Oh dear, maybe it has something to do with the colour��

Mine seems to have been fixed by the reconing of the torque converter has not shuddered even once since I got it back last week Monday im just so grateful to finally enjoy my bakkie hope it stays this way. Have you found a solution to yours?
    Last edited by Joddy; 2020/08/05 at 10:49 AM.

I got my bakkie (2015 highline auto) back yesterday from it's 135000km service with the stealers and the service-advisor advised that it might be a good idea to change the gearbox oil with the next service 'just-in-case', but looking at this shuddering problem you guys mentioned I'm in two minds about it. Maintenance-wise I think it is a good idea to change the oil, but I don't want to 'speel met die leeu se bal' and run the risk of the same shuddering problem. Is this a rare-occurrence or a common issue after the oil-change?

I checked with the mechanic afterwards about doing this privately but according to him you need to have it on the computer when changing the oil, any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by 2lt_MelkBottel View Post
    I got my bakkie (2015 highline auto) back yesterday from it's 135000km service with the stealers and the service-advisor advised that it might be a good idea to change the gearbox oil with the next service 'just-in-case', but looking at this shuddering problem you guys mentioned I'm in two minds about it. Maintenance-wise I think it is a good idea to change the oil, but I don't want to 'speel met die leeu se bal' and run the risk of the same shuddering problem. Is this a rare-occurrence or a common issue after the oil-change?
    Try get it to ZF... They do a full flush, not just an oil change.
    I had my gearbox done at 100k and it's been awesome since...
    I checked with the mechanic afterwards about doing this privately but according to him you need to have it on the computer when changing the oil, any truth to that?
    BS... VW say the gearbox is filled for life, so a seriously doubt they've got anything on their system for gearbox "maintenance"
    Last edited by BobMabena; 2020/08/05 at 03:02 PM.
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Oh dear, maybe it has something to do with the colour��

Mine seems to have been fixed by the reconing of the torque converter has not shuddered even once since I got it back last week Monday im just so grateful to finally enjoy my bakkie hope it stays this way. Have you found a solution to yours?
    I think they used the wrong type of oil. Looking at zf lifeguard 8 is a mineral oil with additives. But the workshop has used synthetic oil. I hope the car will be fine again when they now have to flush again with another oil.
    Last edited by Mikkel; 2020/08/05 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMabena View Post
    Try get it to ZF... They do a full flush, not just an oil change."
    I’m in the free-state so will have to give the stealers a try, service advisor indicated that at least I can bring the oil and they’ll only charge me the labor, caveat being that they will not provide any warranty on the job performed. Any good oil suggestions?

I did the gearbox oil change on around 106,000km and no issues to date (touch wood).

I’m in the free-state so will have to give the stealers a try, service advisor indicated that at least I can bring the oil and they’ll only charge me the labor, caveat being that they will not provide any warranty on the job performed. Any good oil suggestions?
    They have flushed the gearbox again today, it seems to be working fine. the shudder gave way after 30km. Now they used MPM zf 6/8/9 special oil. First they used FUCHS Titan 6008 oil, that was when the problem came ..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2