2014 KB6 Diff Lock light flashing

Default 2014 KB6 Diff Lock light flashing

Good morning!

My Suzie is experiencing some issue with the diff lock. The green light on the dash is flashing, randomly, normally when I start in the morning.

It's a fast and regular flashing, maybe twice as fast as the normal flashing when you push the diff lock button and diff lock is waiting to be engaged.

In this fast flashing time the diff lock will not react to any button press. I've verified this morning that the diff is definitely not locked.

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who experienced something similar?

Thanks!
    Off-road: '14 Isuzu KB300 4x4
    On-road: '08 Audi A5 3.2 Quattro
    Toy: '98 Defender 90 TD5
    SOLD: '07 Audi A4 2.0 TDI
    SOLD: '02 Mitsu Colt V6 4x4
    SOLD: '04 Mazda RX-8
    SOLD: '97 Mitsu Pajero V6 GDi SWB

Default Re: 2014 KB6 Diff Lock light flashing

If the KB6 still uses the Gearmax diff then it could be the diff lock vacuum solenoid acting up. Check if it is working as it should as they do just fail sometimes
    "Blue Thunder"
    Gert Ferreira
    2004 Hardbody 3.3 V6 D/C 4x4 SEL

Check your diff breather. If it's blocked, you can have pressure buildup in the diff, which acts the same as vacuum on the diaphragm.

If this is the case, the flickering will only start once you've got the diff up to running temperature. While it's cold, it won't do it.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

Thanks Gents!

I'm gonna have to creep under the car to check, but afaik the KB6 has an electronic diff lock, i.e. not actuated by pressure or vacuum?

Quote Originally Posted by guido.e.koch View Post
    Thanks Gents!

I'm gonna have to creep under the car to check, but afaik the KB6 has an electronic diff lock, i.e. not actuated by pressure or vacuum?
    these are prone to damage: check the wiring harness to the solenoid and then let somebody activate/deactivate the locker while you are down there and listen for the click as the solenoid tries to move
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

My 2016 model did the same. They replaced the backing plate of the rear diff under warranty and the problem was solved.

Johan 8)
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by J Snyman View Post
    My 2016 model did the same. They replaced the backing plate of the rear diff under warranty and the problem was solved.

Johan 8)

Good Morning All,

Mine did the same and was also replaced under warranty, it was the solenoid that was faulty.

That is still the Gearmax diff is it not? M89 to be exact?
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

So... now that the warranty has expired on my Suzie, I've done some tinkering on the diff.

The agents didn't want to replace it under warranty (5 years ended on 14 Feb, booked for service on the 7th, only got space on the 19th).

Furthermore they argue it's a cable that was broken due to the bigger spare wheel I have mounted under the car - which might be the case but I can't see any wear or impact from the spare wheel on the cables.

Here you see how nice and meaty that rear diff is. There is a collar on the right side which gets slid over by a fork which is actuated by that electromagnetic coil.

The coil unit you can only remove by taking the diff cover off and removing a screw that connects the fork to the coil plunger.

The coil unit is a pretty well sealed unit which took some hammer and chisel action to crack it open.

Verdict: it's probably possible to repair it and solder some new wires on and put everything back with a good amount of gasket maker. But this seems too risky for me, I don't want stuff to fall apart in the diff while in the middle of the bush. New diff plate I was quoted around 3300 bucks in Feb. I can't find anything on the WWW to replace this coil unit only so I'll have to bite the bullet and get the new diff plate

Hope someone else finds this info helpful! 8)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Isuzu Diff.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	521860   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Isuzu Diff Lock Coil.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	521861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Isuzu Diff Lock Coil Back.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	521862