Tata SFA conversion - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Tata SFA conversion

Big question is how much lift and how "long" that bracket must be.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Big question is how much lift and how "long" that bracket must be.
    let's assume I don't change the standard suspension geometry

how much force is absorbed by that bracket?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Can't tell you what forces are involved there, but do a general youtube and google search, and see what size brackets the guys use.

The concept however, is to keep the Panhard and steering bar as flat as possible, and most importantly at the same angle and length as eachother. From what I can figure, the mounts don't have to be on the same vertical positions, as long as the length and angles are the same.

I see you mention a 50mm lift, so not hectic at all. You can probably get away with a panhard somewhere equally spaced between chassis and axle. On bigger lifts the calculator advises the panhard to sit as high as possible, with taller mount on the axle. This gets your roll centre higher, and closer to your COG. As the vehicle "rolls" around the panhard, the closer you can get it to the height of your COG, the less leverage the COG has around that point to create body roll.

But, like most these setups, you can plan and calculate as much as you want, at the end of the day, it's all about how to work around the obstacles under the car, like possibly the sump in your case. I would rather drop my panhard, for instance, than do a bent/shaped bar to clear sump, or pumpkin, for that matter. I can't bend pipe at home, and a bent bar, to me, is weaker that a straight bar.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

OK, so the consensus seems to be:

flat plate: 10-12mm
    square tube: 5-6mm

which makes sense.

I'll hopefully be using a standard Defender/Rover front axle with an adjustable panhard and track rod and drag link. So the axle bracket will be stock. This is what I'd like to have:

6mm wall rectangular tube should do the job.

Garsin seems to stock the correct strength and thickness.

http://www.garsin.co.za/
    Percivamus

That looks good. How far does that bring your mounting point from the chassis on the horizontal plane to line up with your steering pitman?

Bit difficult to comment without seeing the actual mounting point. Its almost intuitive. If you look at others, you will see its more in the design than actual strength. I would in most case try and opt for a bent plate type bracket, like the LC. Logically you want to prevent movement in two directions, so that will determine the bracing.

I think once you're at the point of installation, you'll get a feel for what is needed.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

What I would do, and plan this for the Sani, is cap that bracket with at least 5mm plate between the bracket and the chassis, that spreads the load a few centimeters wide into the chassis member. You can then also run gussets between your "spreader" plate and the bracket to support it to front and rear, although there should not be much stress in that direction.

That looks good. How far does that bring your mounting point from the chassis on the horizontal plane to line up with your steering pitman?
    as far as you need to, it's obviously height adjustable, so I can tailor the bracket to the horizontal angle of the draglink and get them parallel

also, since it is weld-on, I can locate it forward of the pumpkin

as for bent panhards: Toyota and Land Rover use them stock so I have no issue with a bend, I also have no problem buying aftermarket adjustables
    Percivamus

What I would do, and plan this for the Sani, is cap that bracket with at least 5mm plate between the bracket and the chassis, that spreads the load a few centimeters wide into the chassis member. You can then also run gussets between your "spreader" plate and the bracket to support it to front and rear, although there should not be much stress in that direction.
    A 5mm spreader plate is overkill. I doubt if the chassis is even that thick at that point. 3mm or 1/8" should be ample.
    Percivamus

LOL, I know, but 5mm is easier for me to weld with my skills and resources. And in my case, that bracket will probably be built with 10mm plate.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    dunno yet, will have to investigate

EDIT:

REAR AXLE
    Type Salisbury Rear Axle with Semi-Floating Axle Shafts & Limited slip
    differential
    Ratio 3.36 (37/11)
    So I'm looking at getting a Defender front axle due to the RHS drop on the pinion.

But the Defender ratios are 3.54 standard.

What would be the REAL affect of running 3.36 rear and 3.54 front? Is that enough to cause SIGNIFICANT drivetrain wind-up?
    Percivamus

Default Tata SFA conversion

So I'm looking at getting a Defender front axle due to the RHS drop on the pinion.

What would be the REAL affect of running 3.36 rear and 3.54 front? Is that enough to cause SIGNIFICANT drivetrain wind-up?
    Is daar n REAL effek om 33” bande agter, en 31” bande voor te hardloop? Sal dit SIGNIFICANT drivetrain wind-up gee?
    Last edited by Reenen; 2019/07/04 at 03:06 PM.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Is daar n REAL effek om 33” bande agter, en 31” bande voor te hardloop? Sal dit SIGNIFICANT drivetrain wind-up gee?
    wel hierdie is meer soos 33.6" teen 35.4" maar ek kry jou punt (ek neem aan jy het 'n punt gehad?) en dit sal net op sand en modder wees.......ek is nie 'n rock climber nie
    Percivamus

33x3.36/3.54=31.32

So dit is basies 33 bande agter, 31” bande voor. Dit sal n effek hê.

Mind you, as jy 33” agter op jou bakie op sit, 31” voor, met daai diffs, sal jou bakkie perfek loop...

Daar laat ek jou nou dink...

Visualize, visualize.. sal dit kaak lyk, of ok...

I see you want to compensate ratio with tyre size, makes for interesting spares you need to carry.

I have youtube video at Berakha where a buddy of mine ran 245s front and 31s on the rear. The Hilux front diff made it less than 2km into the trail before it blew the spider gears off there shafts and locked up with the debris in the housing. You can't let a diff run on the trailing side of the gears for long periods. I've heard of too many blow up doing stuff in reverse, like recoveries.

The exact reason I got exactly matching diffs, I did not want to open up the remotest possibility of mismatched ratios the Dana front end was going to give me, or go through the hassle of hub conversions to keep my 6 stud rims, or run another Dana on the rear and replace all my rims, although I already ended up doing that anyways when I dumped my mag wheels and opted for Patrol steelies.

Default Tata SFA conversion

Myne was maar bietjie tic, om 2 groote bande te ry. Ek hoop jakes het ook net gejoke om te dink verskillende diff ratios maak nie regtig saak...
    Last edited by Reenen; 2019/07/04 at 06:28 PM.

another problem solved: there are 3.75:1 and 3.8:1 heavy duty Crown Wheel and Pinion sets available for the Rover front axle...........about R4k a set.

And the Tata rear axle is a 3.73:1 Dana Spicer with an LSD.
    Percivamus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4