Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Tata SFA conversion

Whats the length of those radias arms. Whats your max angle you should run between axle and chassis. I like the idea of NOT using tube bushing as they allow a lot more flex in all directions because they dont bind up as the axle makes its angle as it flexes.

Keep is updated as to what you find and the prices. I still have a Nissan that is begging for coils instead of these leafs.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

If it's a Salisbury copy in the rear then options for lockers are few and far between, and costly if you can find. When I decided to fit lockers to my first Defender, it was a better option to swop the rear axle out for a wolf/rover rear.

Later rover diffs (wolf diff) are as strong if not stronger then the Salisbury.

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Whats the length of those radias arms. Whats your max angle you should run between axle and chassis. I like the idea of NOT using tube bushing as they allow a lot more flex in all directions because they dont bind up as the axle makes its angle as it flexes.

Keep is updated as to what you find and the prices. I still have a Nissan that is begging for coils instead of these leafs.
    the 3 link front Land Rover system is great: a 4-link as you know has its issues and that round rubber bush on the end of the LR radius arm sorts out a lot of issues as you mention

1. A measurement from the Ferrule washer on the frame end of the radius arm to the center of the Inner (rear) Bush bolt hole: 720mm

2. A measurement from the hole in the frame where the radius arm attaches to an imaginary vertical line that runs down the center of the spring perch or in other words the center of the axle tube: 822mm

Viewed right to left, the Crook consists of the Arm, the Inner (Rear) Bush, the Shoe, the Outer (Front) Bush.

At this end the Arm cross section is still rectangular, but has tapered out to 70mm wide and 35mm thick.

The Inner (Rear) Bush center is 20mm below the centerline of the Arm. From the face of the Ferrule to the Inner Bush center is 720mm. The Bush 'housing' is 80mm in diameter by 40mm thick. The Bush unit is aprox. 51mm diameter by 40mm thick. The Bush center bore is 16mm diameter by 55mm deep.

The Outer (Front) Bush center lies 155mm forward of the Inner Bush center, measured along the Arm centerline. The Outer Bush is 40mm above the Arm centerline. The distance measured straight between the two bush centers is 165mm.

The radius center for the Shoe is half way along the line between the two bush centers. The mouth of the Shoe is 90mm. The depth of the Shoe measured at 90degrees to a line between the two bush centers, is 45mm. That implies it can handle a axle tube radius of just under 90mm.

Some early Range Rover Classics and Ninety models had thinner radius arms but they were all upgraded by 1986 I think.

Coincidentally, the LC70 series had ALMOST the same setup except they had a perpendicular tubed bush on the chassis mount end:

I consider the Landy version to be superior.

Wow ok thats ample info, thanks.

My concern is that this does not give me very easy castor adjustment (cheap), and the other concern is the angle of the radias arm.

My picture shows arm position from centre of the diff tube to 1m to the jack stand ( where I would imagine the mounting to the chassis would be). And I have dropped it fairly low. And that gives me a angle 7deg, and a fairly exposed arm . Not sure how to work out the instant centre from this though

Obviously the shorter you go, the steeper the angle of the arm.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

hijacking the thread again hey?

Measure 822mm from the centre of the diff tube: that is the forward most point of the chassis bracket

the radius arm bracket is welded to the outside bottom of chassis rail and doesn't get caught on anything

822 is nice. GQ Patrol is around 750 I think. Just worried that too much angle may cause handling/bump problems as it moves the axle forward under compression.

This is the chassis viewed from the rear right quadrant. The radius arm mount is visible on the outside of the chassis rail just behind the tubular outrigger for the firewall.

That makes sense how they keep it out of trouble. But that makes it very high, about 100-150mm higher than the position I indicated on mine. Imagine it will be the same on the Tata, but then I doubt you are doing a 150mm lift. Wonder what angle it will follow down to the diff.

That makes sense how they keep it out of trouble. But that makes it very high, about 100-150mm higher than the position I indicated on mine. Imagine it will be the same on the Tata, but then I doubt you are doing a 150mm lift. Wonder what angle it will follow down to the diff.
    why are you doing a 6" lift again?

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    why are you doing a 6" lift again?
    NO! But that is what I ended up with to fit the leafs under there. I may actually get a drop done by going radias arms and coils. And my leafs are perfectly flat, imagine if I had parabolics

NO! But that is what I ended up with to fit the leafs under there. I may actually get a drop done by going radias arms and coils. And my leafs are perfectly flat, imagine if I had parabolics
    yes you'd be able to drop the front quite substantially depending on your bump stops/sump clearance

Sump is the bugga. Only got 80mm between sump and diff at the moment with bump stop set at 20mm lower.

Love to pull the sump and see where the pickup sits. Cut about 100mm off the corner into the sump where it pops out as a box. That box is offset to the right and does not continue all the way to the left as it was cut short to allow space for the original propshaft route.

Sump is the bugga. Only got 80mm between sump and diff at the moment with bump stop set at 20mm lower.

Love to pull the sump and see where the pickup sits. Cut about 100mm off the corner into the sump where it pops out as a box. That box is offset to the right and does not continue all the way to the left as it was cut short to allow space for the original propshaft route.
    trim the bump stops and let the pumpkin adjust the sump...........

Lol I've seen that happen on others, but I'm worried about where the pickup sits.

Bunp stops have never been used/touched by the diff. I'm actually very surprised that the old second hand Disco shocks can control the front end that well in a mere 60mm. BUT, I may just be running into my shocks compression limit.

So it's getting closer to August when the Tata is paid off.

I'll have to confirm this at some stage:

Diff Ratio 3.36 (37/11)

I'll have to find an excuse to jack up the one rear wheel and start turning and counting.......

3.36 is an odd number and difficult to judge on a rotating wheel: 11 is better, so if I get just about 11 pinion rotations to each 37 wheel rotations, it should be just about precisely right.

Had a look under the sump and the chassis: PLENTY of space for a diff pumpkin. If I keep this flat and low enough, very little need for any pitman drop arms, and the draglink arm can be flat off the side of a chassis rail.

The big issue is finding a decently priced gearbox and t-case set, but I have some contacts.

Just another image to keep me motivated and to keep the research in one place

Nice!

Just another internet photo so that I can archive it here:

Tata was paid off in December.

Will start saving for the gearbox and T-case combo.

Tyres: the current 245/70-16 rubber is 29.5" and only JUST clears the arches front and rear.

30.5" will be the maximum I can run without needing a grinder. 245/75-16.

This is why:

(NOT my bakkie)

But you can see the arches are pressed metal and not plastic. If I go too big, the tyres will shred themselves somewhere.

I don't want more than a 50mm lift on the front anyway.

By the way: the chassis already has mounting plates for rock sliders on either side, between the front and rear wheel arches.....

So I'm restarting my planning on this.

So far, the radius arm concept looks good, the chassis rails seem strong enough, and I can make a plan with the shock and coil towers.

But the one thing that is bugging me is the panhard rod chassis mount.

Land Rover use a detachable cast arm that comes down next to the steering box. This means the panhard and draglink are parallel which helps eliminate bump-steer. You can see this cast drop arm on the extreme right:

It looks like this:

So that is a hefty junk of iron.

The Cruisers seem to have a more conventional thick wall square tube bracket:

The question now: will I be able to get enough strength from a welded-on piece of thick-wall square tube? How much gusseting and support will I need to add?

Any of you done this?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast