Khutse101 - Surviving the Khutse Game Reserve

Default Khutse101 - Surviving the Khutse Game Reserve

After 3 years of living (and working) in Botswana and traveling to numerous softroader-friendly campsites and lodges around Botswana, we finally got ourselves a proper 4x4 (a 1999 Toyota Prado 90, TZ, V6, 3.4L) and made our way to the Khutse Game Reserve - a place that had been on our bucket-list for 3 years now!

We booked 2 nights over the Easter long-weekend, did as much research as we could on what to take, how much fuel we'd need, what food.... all the while being extremely careful not to pack too much stuff, as we'd be sleeping in the Prado both nights (the seats fold down and flat nicely, and we had no tent...). Our online research and chatting to people we knew had been there, led us to wonder if we should be doing this alone, with a "new" vehicle, with no satellite phone etc.

"We're not amateurs" we told ourselves, knowing full well that camping in Mokolodi, Khama Rhino Sanctuary, Elephant Sands etc. does not compare to camping in Khutse. We felt confident enough in our outdoor "survival know-how", our car, the gear we had and 3 years of waiting to get out to Khutse was motivation enough! So off we went, on our first trip into the wild of Botswana and what an experience it was!

Read the full article with photos and videos on our blog

http://www.roadbeneathourfeet.com/bl...iving-the-wild

and let us know what you think!

Cheers!

1999 Toyota Prado TZ, 3.4L, V6, petrol, auto

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Jovan Djokic For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Khutse101 - Surviving the Khutse Game Reserve

Nice Jovan! All of us started off with trepidation and got more blasŤ as the years went by. You must be Serbian, only my Serbian friends does such neat reports, all perfect, justified, and with perfectly fitting pictures :-).
    But horror of horrors! You drink whisky and COKE??
    '89 LR 110 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Nice Jovan! All of us started off with trepidation and got more blasŤ as the years went by. You must be Serbian, only my Serbian friends does such neat reports, all perfect, justified, and with perfectly fitting pictures :-).
    But horror of horrors! You drink whisky and COKE??
    Thanks Mike, and yes... I am Serbian

Haha, I meant to say I had the whiskey and SWAMBO had the coke... There were beers there too.

This was the ice-breaker and we are already looking forward to going there again! But I'm keen on getting a canvas dome tent for next time so we can be more comfortable and not be crammed up inside the car with all our gear. Keep reading about how ground tents are not safe in predator country (like Khutse), but then read just as many comments about how it's totally fine... I guess we'll have to take a chance and find out for ourselves!

Thanks for the report Jovan, Khutse is a wonderful reserve.

Yes, it is relatively normal to find people, generally bushmen, on horseback in Khutse. I usually find them in the vicinity of Khanke Pan. I think they head up to the old settlements in CKGR from time to time.

Regarding tents: For years I camped at Khutse in one of those cheap nylon Campmaster tents. That is until the lions came to camp and licked the dew off the fly sheet. Soon afterwards I migrated to a roof top tent.

Enjoy your new vehicle and the freedom to travel further off road that it affords you.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmoBW View Post
    Thanks for the report Jovan, Khutse is a wonderful reserve.

Yes, it is relatively normal to find people, generally bushmen, on horseback in Khutse. I usually find them in the vicinity of Khanke Pan. I think they head up to the old settlements in CKGR from time to time.

Regarding tents: For years I camped at Khutse in one of those cheap nylon Campmaster tents. That is until the lions came to camp and licked the dew off the fly sheet. Soon afterwards I migrated to a roof top tent.

Enjoy your new vehicle and the freedom to travel further off road that it affords you.
    Thanks Timmo! Khutse is a great place and not too far from Gabs which allows for weekend visits as well!

We figured the horseman was from a nearby settlement but weren't sure. As for the tents... we had one of those cheap nylon Campmaster tents which we threw away on our first night of camping on a 12-day trip around Botswana when it rained so hard the tent started leaking (you can read about that trip here http://www.roadbeneathourfeet.com/bl...t-nearly-wasnt ), so if we were to get another tent, we'd go for a spacious, canvas dome tent which would be something in between the cheap nylon and the considerably more expensive rooftop tents.

Africa is wonderful.Once you start going places you'll never stop.

If road brings you this side let me know.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jadranko For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys.we are off on Friday...only the tough ground tents for us ! We are in Khankhe 4 for 3 nights, not sure if we will see much but will definitely have a great time 👍🍾

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mikealan For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jovan, very neat report.

Khutse really looks like a nice small reserve, but with strong sense of wilderness. Its on our bucket list, even more strongly now after reading your report.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the report Jovan.

I love reading "first timers" reports of their first wild camping experience and not knowing what to expect and having minimal equipment etc. It reminds me of our first ever trip to Botswana. I never did a trip report on it, but think I should as it was one hell of an adventure with 3 mates ion nylon tents who underestimated driving times and distances.

But thanks again for your report and long may you and your wife continue to grow and enjoy the wild as the rest of us do! Congrats on the new 4x4 and hope to hear more trip reports form you in the future in new and exciting places!
    2017 Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 Auto

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Donlux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Donlux View Post
    Thanks for the report Jovan.

I love reading "first timers" reports of their first wild camping experience and not knowing what to expect and having minimal equipment etc. It reminds me of our first ever trip to Botswana. I never did a trip report on it, but think I should as it was one hell of an adventure with 3 mates ion nylon tents who underestimated driving times and distances.

But thanks again for your report and long may you and your wife continue to grow and enjoy the wild as the rest of us do! Congrats on the new 4x4 and hope to hear more trip reports form you in the future in new and exciting places!
    Thanks Donlux for the encouraging words! More trips will definitely be taken and we look forward to each one!

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    Thanks Jovan, very neat report.

Khutse really looks like a nice small reserve, but with strong sense of wilderness. Its on our bucket list, even more strongly now after reading your report.
    Glad we could help and encourage you more to go to Khutse! You will enjoy it for sure! Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for sharing the report and your pictures, looking forward booking this place again.

Always hard to choose where to go in Africa..... it so beautiful, but for me, Botswana is the best so far, this year I will give it a try with Zimbabwe mana pools and Zambia South Luangwa.

Thanks again.