Default What Garmin to run T4A on

Hi Everyone

Newbie Question:

I am in the market to buy a GPS to run T4A. Will mostly be used for overlanding & backroad trips across Southern Africa.
    Unfortunately the Montana models are out of my price range.
    Of the other current models available, which one would you recommend to run T4A on?

Many thanks

Default Re: What Garmin to run T4A on

I got a Garmin Drive 60LM I think. It works pretty well. I don't really have anything to compare it to.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GarethHAllen For This Useful Post:

Most, if not all new Nuvi's is compatible with T4a maps.

My 2497 does a great job, even gooi the breadcrumb trail. Not bad for what is in essence a city navigator.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

Hallo Boesman,

The Montana is useful as it is fairly rugged and dust proof, and if I remember correctly, "splash proof" (I've not yet managed to get water all mine) - but if you look after your GPS, there is no reason why you should not use a cheaper model.

You would need a GPS that has space for an external SD card, so you can slot the T4A card in or can send maps, etc. to the SD card. I find the external battery power very useful - nowadays that 12V socket is used for charging just about anything, so it is handy to be able to run the GPS on batteries for an hour while you charge the smart phone. Also, if you are going to walk to a point, it is useful to be able to carry the GPS. The Montana can also take normal batteries, useful if you go hiking for a few days. And then I find a bigger screen very useful if you want to zoom out to see where a road leads to, and voice navigation (as opposed to a beep each time a turn comes up) makes life easier.

A few years ago I ran T4A on one of the cheaper Nuvi models (I forget which, at the time I paid R1200 for it) and had no problems. Remember that it may be sensitive to being dropped or getting covered in dust, or being left in the windscreen where the sun bakes down on it (even the Montana does not like that!)

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Lizette,Maybe have a look here as well.Maybe you could look into this?http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...leading-routes
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

Thank you Nico, will do
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Lizette
    Maybe not the GPS the OP had in mind due to price, but how well would you rate the 276Cx for T4A maps and detail compared to say a Nuvi 50 (2689) for: "Will mostly be used for overlanding & backroad trips across Southern Africa."
    Patrol TB48
    Patrol TD42T
    Ex-4x4-partners:
    105 Cruiser
    80 Cruiser
    60 Cruiser
    Tdi Defender
    2.8D Hilux

http://4x4africa.co.za/

Boesman,

I forgot to mention that you would probably want a GPS where you can see the "breadcrumbs" as you travel. I think most Garmins come standard with this and you can switch it on and off as you want, but check with the retailer that you buy from. It is very useful if you want to back track, to be able to see which tracks you used on your way in.

Regards
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Hi Kiri,

I see your point about "Will mostly be used for overlanding & backroad trips across Southern Africa." The Nuvi range is in essence a street navigator, and there is no doubt the "outdoor" type of GPS such as the Montana and the 276Cx will be more efficient in displaying relevant information for overlanding and backroad trips in Southern Africa. There is more info on the best GPS to use on the T4A blog https://blog.tracks4africa.co.za/the...s4africa-maps/ - it specifically mentions the Montana as it was published before the release of the new 276Cx. There is a T4A blog article on the 276Cx due to be released in the next two weeks, and I will post the link to the article here as soon as it is published.

There were some recent discussions on the T4A Community Forum about the new 276cx, and in short the model is very well received. The biggest downside is the price tag (approximately R13,000) and the lack of a touch screen (although some people preferred this). Pro's are a nice big screen, superb accuracy without an external antenna, ruggedness and excellent battery life. On the 276 one can also choose which map layers to turn on or off, something one cannot do on the street navigators.

Boesman, the original 276 was a very popular GPS, and many people have been waiting for the launch of the new model - you may be able to pick up a second-hand Montana under classifieds in the next few months, and keep an eye out at the suppliers, you might see some specials on the Montana range.

Regards
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Just to add onto that.

The fact that a particular gps has the bread crumb feature must not be confused with the track back function.

Sure one can use the bread crumbs to "track back" the way you came whilst constantly looking at the screen, but some gps's has this as an automatic feature and will guide you with voice prompts.
    Nico Swart

ZS6NJS

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

Hi Boesman,

In December last year I bought a Garmin Drive 60LM from Makro - it was on special for R2300, and I downloaded the T4A maps on it before we went on a Karoo road trip. I did this especially because I was keen to get off the tarmac as much as possible. The combination of the 60LM with it's nice big screen and the T4A maps worked really well for the trip and allowed us to explore lesser-known tracks while still having a very good idea where we were and what lay ahead - it was myself, my wife, two small kids and granny and granddad too, all in the Prado, so that combination of adventure with safety was important. I don't think the 60LM is particularly robust but it's very well-priced and I'm sure if you take care of it then you can get years of good service from the unit. I made a point of not leaving it to bake in the direct Karoo sun.

Happy exploring!
    2005 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX - nicknamed 'The Elephant' by my four and seven-year-olds

www.andrewsalomon.com

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Archaeo For This Useful Post:

Lots of information to digest.

Thank you everyone - much appreciated.

Going shopping tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Boesman79 View Post
    Lots of information to digest.

Thank you everyone - much appreciated.

Going shopping tomorrow.

Hi Boesman,

Let us know what you bought and how well T4A works on it!

Happy travels
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Greetings all,

Johann Groenewald of T4A has tried and tested the new 276Cx, for those interested you can read about it on the T4A blog: https://blog.tracks4africa.co.za/gps...6-legend-back/

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but HANGAAS..I got my T4A package now looking for my Garmin. I have the combo Dashcam / GPS in mind..Any problems or will it work.Thanks

Hi Changes,

If you are referring to the Garmin Drive range, T4A can be used on this. I just completed a trip from Cape Town up to Pemba in Mozambique and back, using the Drive Assist with Dashcam.

Regards

Lizette
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

Has any one used a Nuvi 3490 to run T4A
    Thomas

2007 3.0 D4D DC 4X4 31 " Bridgestone A/T, Ride Rite,Long Range Tanks, NL Dual Battery System
    2008 Jurgens Xplorer
    2012 Pajero GLX Now with Air Max on the back