Default POIs, the T4A "Africa Guide" and can you install it on a computer?

I have the downloadable t4a "Africa Guide" that comes when you purchase a complete set of Africa Maps. I'm excited by this, because with the base maps alone finding various POIs seems to be sort of hit or miss, where I know there is a campground near by, but I can't get it to show up on the GPS yet I know it's in the database since I can find it on the T4A website, in the paper atlas or maybe on basecamp.

My question is, has anyone succeeded in installing these to basecamp on a computer? If so, has that been helpful?

I have instructions for downloading onto my GPS, which seems great, I'm looking forward to it. But it seems odd to me already that the POI management in basecamp is so clunky, and I thought this might help. For example, some campsites down come up when you search "camping" because they are Lodges that have camping, not just campsites. But if you're searching for a place to camp you might drive right by that lodge, as your GPS said there was no camping near by.

If anyone has any tricks for this aspect it would be interesting to hear.

Default Re: POIs, the T4A "Africa Guide" and can you install it on a computer?

Try searching on "lodging" that seems to bring up lodges with camping as well as purely campsites.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Apart from T4A you may find this useful as well in your travels:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ana-resorts?p=

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    I have the downloadable t4a "Africa Guide" that comes when you purchase a complete set of Africa Maps. I'm excited by this, because with the base maps alone finding various POIs seems to be sort of hit or miss, where I know there is a campground near by, but I can't get it to show up on the GPS yet I know it's in the database since I can find it on the T4A website, in the paper atlas or maybe on basecamp.

My question is, has anyone succeeded in installing these to basecamp on a computer? If so, has that been helpful?

I have instructions for downloading onto my GPS, which seems great, I'm looking forward to it. But it seems odd to me already that the POI management in basecamp is so clunky, and I thought this might help. For example, some campsites down come up when you search "camping" because they are Lodges that have camping, not just campsites. But if you're searching for a place to camp you might drive right by that lodge, as your GPS said there was no camping near by.

If anyone has any tricks for this aspect it would be interesting to hear.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Try searching on "lodging" that seems to bring up lodges with camping as well as purely campsites.
    That does seem to work better, thanks. Still it would be nice if I could load the Africa Guide into basecamp, so route planning could have the most info available.

Hi Caldriver,

The T4A guide cannot be installed on the computer, only onto GPS. Have a look at our live Africa Map on the T4A website: https://tracks4africa.co.za/maps/africa/ - on the left hand side there is a legend, where you can turn on campsites / lodges / fuel / restaurant, etc. You will need internet to work on the map. Also keep in mind that the map is "live" - i.e. a lodge that we add to our data today, will appear on the map tomorrow, but it will not be on our GPS maps until the next update.

If you see a round dot with a number in it, click on that - you will then see two icons. Click on an icon and the name with a short summary will appear, click on "read more" and you will be directed to our website where all the information will be displayed, with photographs.

Regards

Lizette
    Last edited by Lizette Swart; 2018/04/30 at 09:42 AM.
    Lizette Swart

[email protected]
    +27 21 880 8660
    www.tracks4africa.co.za

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizette Swart For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lizette Swart View Post
    Hi Caldriver,

The T4A guide cannot be installed on the computer, only onto GPS. Have a look at our live Africa Map on the T4A website: https://tracks4africa.co.za/maps/africa/ - on the left hand side there is a legend, where you can turn on campsites / lodges / fuel / restaurant, etc. You will need internet to work on the map. Also keep in mind that the map is "live" - i.e. a lodge that we add to our data today, will appear on the map tomorrow, but it will not be on our GPS maps until the next update.

If you see a round dot with a number in it, click on that - you will then see two icons. Click on an icon and the name with a short summary will appear, click on "read more" and you will be directed to our website where all the information will be displayed, with photographs.

Regards

Lizette
    Thank you for looking into it. After some more looking I think you're correct, it is for GPS only. But with a bit of practice on the GPS that should be no problem, I think this is more about me being faster using the computer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post: