Feeling violated.... - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Feeling violated....

Quote Originally Posted by Problematix View Post
    Ek voel naar .

Just received a quotation for a (yes, one) 300L solar heated geyser system - with it being a choice between either an evacuated tube or heat pump system...

A whopping R45k. Jup, R45k. Just 45k. My 45k.

And off course (whilst affording me the opportunity to apply copious amounts of petroleum jelly to sensitive parts of my sensitive anatomy), the qouted price is quickly followed by a green-leafed echo onslaught on how I can save the world (and myself), and further reinforced by a webpage with an avalanche of yadee yadee yadee of how much I can save in Year 1, 2, 3, etc, etc... and off course (ironically), Eskom will always lose this comparison...

Nee hell, goeie dinges.

I don't mind paying a fair wage for a fair product and a fair day's work....am I out of touch with reality or is this how much going solar costs nowadays...

I have installed the "HOTBOX" with a geyserwise control system about 5 years ago and never had any problems--I paid R7500-00 for the system (installed) My geyser temp is set at 55 degC--My bill came down from R1900-00 to R1200-00 per month--That is a R40k saving in 5 years !!
    Toyota Fortuner D-4D 4x4 AT---My "speed control en navigasie "sisteem is al oor die 40 jaar oud!Ham Call ZS1SSM

Quote Originally Posted by Karoo Klong View Post
    On my way to collect the gas geyser I decided to go with after our 200liter started leaking. I hope I made te right choice. Also thought about Solar but decided to scratch that.
    You did the right choice. I installed a Gas Geyser when we built our house in 2003 and have never looked back. 15 Years later and a only replaced the pilot jet for 45 bucks about 6yrs ago. I will never go back to elect.
    Aubrey Louwrens.
    2012 Mercedes C180 CGI Sport Pack
    2002 Isuzu KB 280 DT LX D/Cab 4x4.
    2006 Ford Ka.

I installed a 300L Suntank system in Feb 2013. To be honest, Suntank as a company sucks big time! The people on the phone are useless, but I digress.

The actual solar geyser works bloody well! Granted, it's only myself and SWAMBO, but it is a 4 bedroom house. The water gets heated literally almost to boiling point, if I drain the whole 300L in the morning say around 07:00, by 11:00 the water is so hot it will burn you! I've tested this numerous times. My geyser breaker at my DB board has been switched off since Feb of 2013. Every 6 months or so I switch it on, just to make sure the electric side of the Solar geyser still works. Best R23k I've spent. I wanted to go GAS, but the quote I got for the whole gas setup was just shy of R20k, so I thought what's the point, GAS will always cost money, and it will get more expensive. The SUN is free.

PS, I also got a R6k rebate on the geyser.

I lied, I did have the geyser on couple of years back, when we had 6 people staying over, and even then it was set to only come on between 4:00 and 05:30 in the mornings (electrically). When the sun heats the water up so much, you use very little hot water, honestly, most of the water you use when showering is from the cold tap.

Granted, if you and your family all bath, and say there is more than 2 or 3 baths in the evening, then sure, you will probably not have hot water in the morning if you don't set the electric side to kick in.

And the system DOES work even when it is over-cast, and very cloudy, sure not as well as when the sun is blasting. But in my case, it still heats it up enough to burn you, and still mostly use the cold water tap.

Maybe I'm lucky, and my system works better than most, I cannot say, but I am happy.

GAS...
    I did go gas with my stove (hob and oven) I use a 48Kg bottle, and it lasts me between 11 and 13 months.

My electricity bill was around the R1200 in 2013. After the Solar geyser, and gas stove upgrade, my electricity bill is around the R500 per month, even now. The next big thing electrically in my house is the pool pump, still don't know what's the best option here.

It is nice when there is a power failure, we just continue making food, and having hot water. We had a power failure for 4 days in 2015, no issues, could still do everything we normally do, although it was a bit darker...

My 2c, hope it sheds some light.

PS, you're welcome to come feel the water temperature from my hot water taps.
    Last edited by Hyades; 2018/05/03 at 07:18 AM.

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

Quote Originally Posted by dakmandc3 View Post
    You did the right choice. I installed a Gas Geyser when we built our house in 2003 and have never looked back. 15 Years later and a only replaced the pilot jet for 45 bucks about 6yrs ago. I will never go back to elect.
    I also went the gas route about 18 months ago. Cost about 5k. Best decision ever. The new gas geysers has electronic ignition (no pilot flame) and no diaphragm (no moving parts). Big advantage is that it only works when you use it (unlike a geyser and solar) and does not get affected by weather (unlike solar). My electricity expenses has come way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    ??
    Geysers usually last 10 years+.
    please send that memo to my last two geysers
    6y on the first and 3y on that replacement - have a kwikot installed now, last year (maybe tell that one!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    please send that memo to my last two geysers
    6y on the first and 3y on that replacement - have a kwikot installed now, last year (maybe tell that one!!)
    Sure, get me its email address.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston.G View Post
    I also went the gas route about 18 months ago. Cost about 5k. Best decision ever. The new gas geysers has electronic ignition (no pilot flame) and no diaphragm (no moving parts). Big advantage is that it only works when you use it (unlike a geyser and solar) and does not get affected by weather (unlike solar). My electricity expenses has come way down.

Pardon my ignorance here, but at that price (R5k) is the installation legal? Now I'm not sure what gas geyser you have, but it sounds like these new types like the Bosch ones (click here) That costs just shy of R6k at the moment just for the geyser? Do you have bottles bigger than 9kg? If so, are they installed correctly? When I did my gas stove upgrade, the install was more than my stove. The cage, the piping, the shutoff valve, the bloody health and safety warnings. This was all requirements from my insurance company, and I had to get a certificate of compliance, and send that to them for my gas installation to be "legit" and to be sure I'm covered if anything goes wrong at any stage. I think many people are "winging" their gas installs, but just be-aware that insurance might not cover you in the event of an "issue". Like I said in my previous post. I got a quote from a very prominent gas-installer on this forum, and the whole setup's quote was just shy of R20k. For me, that was too much for hot water, that I still need to pay for gas if I want hot water. The sun is FREE, and will always be free!

And PS, I've yet to have issues with weather regarding my Solar. Weather is not an issue for Solar anywhere in South Africa. You are welcome to come feel the temperature of my hot water out of my taps. You won't be-able to hold your hand there for more than a second.
    Last edited by Hyades; 2018/05/05 at 08:37 AM.

Chris
    HYADES

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyades For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    Pardon my ignorance here, but at that price (R5k) is the installation legal? Now I'm not sure what gas geyser you have, but it sounds like these new types like the Bosch ones (click here) That costs just shy of R6k at the moment just for the geyser? Do you have bottles bigger than 9kg? If so, are they installed correctly? When I did my gas stove upgrade, the install was more than my stove. The cage, the piping, the shutoff valve, the bloody health and safety warnings. This was all requirements from my insurance company, and I had to get a certificate of compliance, and send that to them for my gas installation to be "legit" and to be sure I'm covered if anything goes wrong at any stage. I think many people are "winging" their gas installs, but just be-aware that insurance might not cover you in the event of an "issue". Like I said in my previous post. I got a quote from a very prominent gas-installer on this forum, and the whole setup's quote was just shy of R20k. For me, that was too much for hot water, that I still need to pay for gas if I want hot water. The sun is FREE, and will always be free!

And PS, I've yet to have issues with weather regarding my Solar. Weather is not an issue for Solar anywhere in South Africa. You are welcome to come feel the temperature of my hot water out of my taps. You won't be-able to hold your hand there for more than a second.
    Iam afraid sun will not be for free 'for long

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/dr...istered-2018-5

Quote Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post

Rainwater from your roof will be hot on its heels.
    Eggie.

Uhmmmmm.... Did you actually read the article?

1. It's for power generation, nothing to do with heating water
    2. It's only a draft, and at the end it states that it will most likely change
    3. Still open for public arguments
    4. Nowhere does it say once you've registered you must now pay? It's only a registration

This should keep the guys doing illegal installations away. The guys that think they don't need to conform to rules and regulations. The guys that do installations that can cause houses to burn down, electrical problems, and even kill people. I think it's good idea.

Chris
    HYADES

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyades For This Useful Post:

Sometimes we write not with forked tongue, but with tongue in cheek.
    Eggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    Rainwater from your roof will be hot on its heels.

In most parts of the USA it is illegal. The thinking is that the water that runs off your properly then gets used elsewhere, so thus by "catching" the water it doesn't run off, to be used by other people, plants further down the road. Makes kind-off sense... I guess.

But we will be VERY far away from this kind of thing. I'd be very surprised if this actually gets enforced in our lifetime here in deepest, darkest...
    Last edited by Hyades; 2018/05/05 at 12:15 PM.

Chris
    HYADES

Uhmmmmm.... Did you actually read the article?

1. It's for power generation, nothing to do with heating water
    2. It's only a draft, and at the end it states that it will most likely change
    3. Still open for public arguments
    4. Nowhere does it say once you've registered you must now pay? It's only a registration

This should keep the guys doing illegal installations away. The guys that think they don't need to conform to rules and regulations. The guys that do installations that can cause houses to burn down, electrical problems, and even kill people. I think it's good idea.
    Why then the ANC wants to impose such harsh punishment, R5M fine and/or 5 years imprisonment !!?
    Last edited by Ibiza; 2018/05/05 at 01:50 PM.

Why then the ANC wants to impose such harsh punishment, R5M fine and/or 5 years imprisonment !!?
    Well for a start it isn't the ANC.

Secondly it doesn't apply to our small domestic systems. It apples to SSEG systems, which are less than 1Mw.

SSEG's are defined elsewhere in this document - Department of Energy's License exemption and registration notice.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Nowhere does it say once you've registered you must now pay? It's only a registration
    My suspicious mind has me with the fact that regardless of whether you don't have to pay, simply by registering you have put yourself on the system for when they get around to actually charging you...

But, that's just my personal paranoia at work..
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Like I said before, did you actually read the article? It has zero, nothing, nadda, to do with solar water heating! They are trying to curb the guys that are doing the dodgy "power generation". Pushing power back into the system mostly. And yes, I do agree with what they are trying to do in that regard. I think it's bloody fantastic!

So again, for heating up water, to use in your shower, and bath, the SUN is free, and will always be free! Gas is not free, it has never been free, and will never be free, in fact it goes up in price every year, as does electricity used to heat conventional geysers.
    Last edited by Hyades; 2018/05/05 at 04:13 PM.

Chris
    HYADES

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    My suspicious mind has me with the fact that regardless of whether you don't have to pay, simply by registering you have put yourself on the system for when they get around to actually charging you...

But, that's just my personal paranoia at work..

Yep, you are correct, it is "just your personal paranoia at work"

I don't want to sound silly here, but if you are that paranoid about registering a solar power / off the grid system, how paranoid are you about everything else out there? Geez, I hope for your sake, you are browsing the internet through an encrypted vpn, using TOR browser, and running BlackArch Linux.

But again, we go off topic. The thread is about water-heating options. The article quoted by the party-island has nothing to do with water-heating solar systems. It's only for electricity generation, and even with a generator, not only solar.
    Last edited by Hyades; 2018/05/05 at 03:23 PM.

Chris
    HYADES

Yep, you are correct, it is "just your personal paranoia at work"

I don't want to sound silly here, but if you are that paranoid about registering a solar power / off the grid system, how paranoid are you about everything else out there? Geez, I hope for your sake, you are browsing the internet through an encrypted vpn, using TOR browser, and running BlackArch Linux.
    FWIW, an old XP laptop with Opera and Windows Defender and Loaris Trojan Remover, CCleaner and Malwarebytes for mopping up, but anyway, it's irrelevant to the topic.

My issue with registering is, as you say, not applicable to water heating, my apologies for the derail.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Making me jealous.All quickies died off after the birth of my daughter.
    With a name like plunger you have me thinking about the validity of your remark......

25. The Following User Says Thank You to GreigD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BluePaj View Post
    When talking pure electric geysers, do you cost in having to replace it every 3-4 years?
    So my 18 month old Kwikot has just started leaking on the shell where the anode socket is welded on.

This geyser was a warranty replacement for the one that was replaced a week before the 3 year warranty ended. That one started leaking on the weld where the outlet socket is welded to the shell. I will now be going onto ny 5th geyser in about 13 years.

My mother 5km up the road is still on her 20+ year old geyser.

The quality of Kwikot has clearly dropped drastically over the last decade.

Now to argue with the insurance to get a different make installed, or maybe they will pay out and I can get a gas geyser installed.

*edit both geysers the leak was from the outside which was very badly rusted.
    Last edited by BluePaj; 2018/07/19 at 09:52 AM.
    Any minority that advocates for gun control is either wilfully ignorant, or has never opened a history book.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5