Dunlop Grandtrek

Default Dunlop Grandtrek

Does anyone perhaps know about an issue with the Dunlop Grantrek's and balancing? Apparently, they are having issues with this on the new Fortuner and Toyota have issued some or other bulletin?

Default Re: Dunlop Grandtrek

Could not get mine to balance, verdict from fitment center they have gone out of round after 15000km.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Dave View Post
    Does anyone perhaps know about an issue with the Dunlop Grantrek's and balancing? Apparently, they are having issues with this on the new Fortuner and Toyota have issued some or other bulletin?

i assume you are talking about the Grand Trek AT25 and not the AT3.

2015 Toyota Fortuner 2.5 d4d VNT 4speed Auto ( Cressida GearBox,Monroe GasMagnum4x4 Shocks)
    2010 Vw Golf 6 TSi Koni/H&R STr Kit with 19inch low profile

The Grandtrek that are fitted as standard to the new Fortuner. A colleague has just returned from Dunlop and they could not get 7 Grandtrek tyres to balance on his car. They fitted up to 150g in weights on one rim trying to get them to balance. Toyota have eventually offered to replace the tyres with Yokohama. I wonder .........

If you have issues, contact Francois Du Preez on 011 418 3021. He does prefer if you deal through your dealer. But, they have you bring in your car and then they "test" the tyres and replace them if necessary. My colleague did this and per above, ended up with the Yokohama.
    Last edited by Brave Dave; 2018/04/20 at 10:58 AM.

I had the AT3 fitted to my Tiguan. At around 30k km it started making noise. Took it back to dunlop. Time period was 2 years /45k km.

Found out it had flatspots, dealer said it was because it wasn't rotated. Even though it was rotated every 10k km.

After some fighting got them to replace the 4 tires. I had to pay the 40% of what I had used. They paid the 60% on the new set.
    “In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.” – Bill Cosby

VW Tiguan 2.0T - Track and Field - 4 Motion
    AG0011

My staff always used to say “dan lop hey hier, dan lop hey daar” of the local ones.
    Gavin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gavpike For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonC View Post
    Could not get mine to balance, verdict from fitment center they have gone out of round after 15000km.
    Feedback: took the vechicle in to sumitomo/dunlop in jetpark, excellent service. They checked all tyres for uneven wear/damage, irregular fitment. Removed all the weights and rebalanced.
    250g removed rebalanced with 110g!
    My local fitment center seems to have a problem with the calibration of their machine.

3000km later tyres still feel like they did when new, no shake, good grip on and off road.
    Never thouht a few grams could make such a difference.
    Im happy with my at3's!

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonC View Post
    Feedback: took the vechicle in to sumitomo/dunlop in jetpark, excellent service. They checked all tyres for uneven wear/damage, irregular fitment. Removed all the weights and rebalanced.
    250g removed rebalanced with 110g!
    My local fitment center seems to have a problem with the calibration of their machine.

3000km later tyres still feel like they did when new, no shake, good grip on and off road.
    Never thouht a few grams could make such a difference.
    Im happy with my at3's!
    Thanks for telling us this! I wonder how many tires received bad reputation due to poor fitment.

2015 Toyota Fortuner 2.5 d4d VNT 4speed Auto ( Cressida GearBox,Monroe GasMagnum4x4 Shocks)

Update, 5000km since rebalance, no issues or shake 60%tar rest gravel. Total 20100km on tyres, 3mm tread used, now at 7mm. Going strong!

Colleague bought a new Jimny and dealer swapped tyres for Dunlop Grandtrek. Shaking at 90km/h and 120km/h. Took it to a tyre place and a report came back:'tyres can't be balanced as too many weights required'. Tyres were swapped for Continentals and now zero issues.
    Sent from my iPhone

Then how come Mitsubishi and Toyota are fitting them to their new Pajero, Hilux and Fortuner ranges?

My Pajero had Grandtrek AT20's on when I bought it 2nd hand, replaced with GY Wrangler AT/SA's, but will go back to Dunlops any day. Much quieter and comfortable than the Wranglers.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

Quote Originally Posted by Ouarzazate View Post
    Then how come Mitsubishi and Toyota are fitting them to their new Pajero, Hilux and Fortuner ranges?

My Pajero had Grandtrek AT20's on when I bought it 2nd hand, replaced with GY Wrangler AT/SA's, but will go back to Dunlops any day. Much quieter and comfortable than the Wranglers.
    They come standard on the Lexus LX 570, a car over R1.5 million.

Dunlop have improved the Grandtrek AT3 this year called the AT3m.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouarzazate View Post

My 2c's:

AT20 is not really an All Terrain tyre, although they may look like it.

Guess it's fine for day to day, but you will not get the same offroad performance and durability as from a true All Terrain tyre(like the Dunlop AT3 for example).

Dads new PJS came with them and I agree its much softer ride than the Yokohama G012's I have in my PJS. But I would not trust the Dunlops in similar terrain that I have used my Yokohamas in before.
    Last edited by Hendel1986; 2018/06/13 at 10:12 AM.
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Hendel1986 View Post
    My 2c's:

AT20 is not really an All Terrain tyre, although they may look like it.
    Dunlop AT20's do not even look like the rest of the AT family these days. So did my Goodyear RT/SA's we had on our work Hiluxes in the 1990's, not in any way aggressive tread like today's AT's, yet took us through two projects in the Moroccan Anti-Atlas. Looked much like the AT20's of today, yet they did almost anything you wanted from it well (excluding mud, but no AT tyre is good at mud anyway).
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS