Richtersveld to Fish River Canyon Route?

Default Richtersveld to Fish River Canyon Route?

Good day all.

After doing both sections of the Namaqua Eco Trail, we expect to be camping at (among others) Kokerboomkloof in the Richtersveld, RSA and want to travel from there to Hobas near the viewpoint to the Fish River Canyon in Namibia and then onwards towards Mata Mata in mid Sep. 2018 to return homewards via the Kgalaghadi G R.

We are a group of 4 vehicles, 3 towing trailers so please bear that in mind.

What is the best scenic route from Richtersveld to MM via Fish River Canyon.
    We are not pressed for time so can take 5 or 6 days to get there if need be.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Default Re: Richtersveld to Fish River Canyon Route?

Following.
    Doing similar end of September 2018.
    Discovery 4
    Wrangler 4dr
    Africa Twin
    Husky 501
    Husky 250
    MTB Morewood Zula

Peter
    here is a possible route to follow:
    From Kokerboomkloof head back to Sendelingsdrif and take the pont across the river. Once across and having cleared the border, head east along the northern bank of the Orange (Gariep) until you get the turn off to the north through the Gamchab canyon. Once through head to Ais Ais and Hobas.

From Hobas work your way to Keetmanshoop and then NE along the M29 / C17 to Koes. Then continue to the D511 till it meets the C15. Turn SE to Mata Mata.
    Have coffee and chocolate cake in Koes at the "Moer toe Koffie Winkel".

There are a few good camps on the C17
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamM For This Useful Post:

Thanks again Sam.
    I have also noted your comments on a different route on a previous post some time back.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by SamM View Post
    Peter
    here is a possible route to follow:
    From Kokerboomkloof head back to Sendelingsdrif and take the pont across the river. Once across and having cleared the border, head east along the northern bank of the Orange (Gariep) until you get the turn off to the north through the Gamchab canyon. Once through head to Ais Ais and Hobas.
    From Hobas work your way to Keetmanshoop and then NE along the M29 / C17 to Koes. Then continue to the D511 till it meets the C15. Turn SE to Mata Mata.
    Have coffee and chocolate cake in Koes at the "Moer toe Koffie Winkel".

There are a few good camps on the C17
    Hi SamM
    I'm also heading that way next year to hike the fish river canyon. The route you described (I'll check it out a bit more later), do you think I'll manage it in my freelander 2? I've never been to the richtersveld, so I don't know what the trails are like. Also, will most likely be going with a single vehicle (just me and swambo).
    Thanks

Rjay

When are you planning on going?

You should have no hassle at all doing this route in your Freelander; just verify state of Gamchab closer to the time.
    Enjoy the hike; I did it a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed it ............... especially the beer at the end!
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM

Hike to start mid June 2019. Just trying to find an interesting way of either getting there, or getting back. Also spending the day in the hotsprings before driving home. I may just do the route in reverse as I don't want any nasty surprises that may delay me getting to the start of the hike on time. I almost never go into the northern cape, so looking forward to exploring a bit of the richtersveld. I may get another buddy to join, depending on if he has the 4x2 or 4x4 X-trail.

Hi guys if any of you need Satellite Phone rental for your trip, feel free to contact me.

[email protected]
    2014 Ford Ranger T6 Wildtrak 3.2 (4x4)
    Tough Dog Suspension, Rhino Bumper, PBE Dual Battery System, Takla Floor Covers, Escape Gear Seat Covers, LED Light Bar, Hytera VHF, Dick Cepek with Cooper ST/Maxx 265/75/R16, National Luna 90L Twin & 55L, Gobi-X Fridge Slide (Next upgrade - Winch, Snorkel, Rock Sliders, Alu or S/Steel Canopy)

2018 Volkswagen Kombi

2019 Metalian Maxi Off-road Trailer

From Hobas work your way to Keetmanshoop and then E along the M 29 / C 17 to Koes. Have coffee and chocolate cake in Koes at the "Moer toe Koffie Winkel". The Koes Hotel has an acceptable camp site with Power across the road from the Hotel.
    The next morning, take the C11 to the intersection with the D 503 which is a very nice 100 km scenic red dune road which will take you to the C 15. A few clicks further you will get the Kalahari Sunset Game Farm on your right with a nice camp site with power at R130 pppn
    The next day continue on the C 15 SE to Mata Mata which is a short drive of about an hour and you will be in the Park.