Chipping

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chipping

Default Chipping

Hi all.

Can you please give your opinions.

Chipping is supposed to give you more power and better fuel consumption. This I can believe.
    My thoughts, concerns and worry.

1. What does this do to your engine temperature?
    2. What does it do to your turbo's lifespan?
    3. What does it do to your engines lifespan?
    4. If it is so much better for a vehicle, why does the manufacturer not tune your vehicle to perform at its optimum. Surely doing this will make for better for sales.

I don't want to be negative, but would like to here the positive and negative for chipping.

Default Re: Chipping

Wag net gou, gaan net gou die popcorn kry

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

Do a search on the forum. A lot have been said about chipping. An awful lot actually. As a matter off fact, topics like chipping and 2SO and Discovery Cranks and evolution and solid axles vs independent suspension and prostrate exams are not really discussed anymore. And malaria as well. And Donald Trump.

Yes, if I think of anything else I will let you know. Things like cannabis oil also.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stoffel View Post
    Do a search on the forum. A lot have been said about chipping. An awful lot actually. As a matter off fact, topics like chipping and 2SO and Discovery Cranks and evolution and solid axles vs independent suspension and prostrate exams are not really discussed anymore. And malaria as well. And Donald Trump.

Yes, if I think of anything else I will let you know. Things like cannabis oil also.
    mmmm big help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Karoo Prado View Post
    mmmm big help!!!
    Have you searched the forum? You will find lots of opinions, really you will.

Yes to all your questions.... No to all your questions.......

Really search the forum..... some swear by it and some swear it.

I had mapped and chipped vehicles and was happy with them ,some people wasnt

Just sticking a chip in and expect to walk away smiling, is the same as sticking a Simba chip up a lions butt and expect to walk away smiling...
    If done with lots of dyno time by a reputable tuner, safe gains can be found. That is also vehicle dependant, as some are already tuned to the higher end.
    You hear a lot of people say, if it was that good, the manufacturer would have done it.... This is true to some degree; but the manufacturer might have tuned your vehicle to be a mums shopping trolley and to suit the bigger market needs, but not for your intended use. Again, for this you need that dyno tuner that is better than the tappet down the road.
    In most cases a chip goes with other "mods" too, like a freeflow or turbo dump pipe,.... and the like.
    Patrol TB48
    Patrol TD42T
    Ex-4x4-partners:
    105 Cruiser
    80 Cruiser
    60 Cruiser
    Tdi Defender
    2.8D Hilux

http://4x4africa.co.za/

"Oppies3800

This message has been deleted by Dirk."

I think Dirk must be quite tired of this action by now...........

@Karoo Prado: do a search

then decide if you want a Gobabis Hilux or something that lasts 400,000kms.......
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Hi all.

Chipping is supposed to give you more power and better fuel consumption. This I can believe.

4. If it is so much better for a vehicle, why does the manufacturer not tune your vehicle to perform at its optimum. Surely doing this will make for better for sales.

I don't want to be negative, but would like to here the positive and negative for chipping.

I think you already know the answer, by the manner of your questions.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

a five cylinder bakkie

Hi all.

If you understand the nature of the beast and treat it accordingly, then fine.

Its simple really, highly tuned and stressed motors, driven hard are more likely to have a heart attack than a mildly tuned motor plodding along.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

more power and better fuel consumption.
    This to me does not make sense, more power from less fuel. You cannot get something without giving something.

What does this do to your engine temperature?
    Speaking from memory, I cannot remember what the standard EGT values are for a TD5 D2, if I remember right it is about 500? After mapping my D2 on any long uphill if I tried to maintain for example 120km/h the EGT value would shoot up drastically. My alarm was set to 800 I think, and I often had to tap off a bit to let it cool.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    This to me does not make sense, more power from less fuel. You cannot get something without giving something.
    indeed: they cannot happen at the same time

A tuning map MIGHT be able to give better fuel consumption when cruising at medium revs, and it MIGHT give you better performance when at full throttle...........but this implies literally days on a dyno: I cannot EVER believe a chip can do this straight off the bat without tuning and optimisation for that specific vehicle, taking all the variables into account.
    Percivamus

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    At face value yes, it doesn't make sense, but it is a 100% reality that engine manufacturers manipulate on a grand scale to gain advantage over competitors. It goes about establishing the most efficient set of operating parameters.

If the only thing you are doing to get more power is chucking more fuel into the engine, well then yes, it is difficult to get more power from less fuel, but by no means impossible.

It all about getting the "optimum" ratio of fuel to power correct, or better, and in harmony with all the other factors like gearing etc.

So if you tune a car for more power, and that creates a power/torque curve that arrives at the best RPM for effortless cruising, you may very well have a car that is "potentially" more powerful and simultaneously more "thrifty" under normal driving conditions.

The same hot car being thrashed from robot to robot will probably use more fuel than the less powerful version doing the same thing.

-------------------

If this were not so then all cars of the same power would get the same fuel consumption, and manufacturers wouldn't be able to continually release new tweaked versions of the same motor each year with incrementally improved Power AND Fuel Consumption.

My problem with chipping is dipping into the manufacturers safety margins. Depending on the specific vehicles, the aggressiveness of the tune, and the way the car is driven, the results can vary greatly.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    "Oppies3800

This message has been deleted by Dirk."

I think Dirk must be quite tired of this action by now...........
    I made a joke. It was against TOS, although it contained no swear words or attacking fellow members.

I will accept that no jokes are allowed
    Last edited by Oppies3800; 2018/04/17 at 11:39 AM.
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

indeed: they cannot happen at the same time

A tuning map MIGHT be able to give better fuel consumption when cruising at medium revs, and it MIGHT give you better performance when at full throttle...........but this implies literally days on a dyno: I cannot EVER believe a chip can do this straight off the bat without tuning and optimisation for that specific vehicle, taking all the variables into account.

I actually believe this is an expensive con job on the part of Dyno Tuners. Unless you are fine tuning a motor to extract the very last ounce of torque and power for a track car, I don't believe the differences between production samples are that big to warrant extensive dyno tuning.

How does a manufacturer that uses the same motor in different states of tune (performance) get that right, without dyno tuning each car. MB are famous for this in the C Class, and even Land Rover has a mild tune in Defenders and Range Rovers for public use and special high performance "Police Maps" for the UK cops.

No doubt there was a lot of dyno tuning to design those maps in the first place, but after that it's a one size fits all map, especially in a Diesel.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Hi all.

What everybody said above.

But here is a good place to start. There are countless threads.

But this is good reading.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...t-is-dangerous!
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I actually believe this is an expensive con job on the part of Dyno Tuners. Unless you are fine tuning a motor to extract the very last ounce of torque and power for a track car, I don't believe the differences between production samples are that big to warrant extensive dyno tuning.

How does a manufacturer that uses the same motor in different states of tune (performance) get that right, without dyno tuning each car. MB are famous for this in the C Class, and even Land Rover has a mild tune in Defenders and Range Rovers for public use and special high performance "Police Maps" for the UK cops.

No doubt there was a lot of dyno tuning to design those maps in the first place, but after that it's a one size fits all map, especially in a Diesel.
    well yes and no

once you start moving away from factory spec in any way, the map will be invalid

- different tyres
    - different exhaust
    - snorkel
    - etc

you get my drift?

And I'm not even getting to things like EGR blanking which will screw completely with the AFR.
    Percivamus

I believe that even though vehicle manufacturers tune the fuel/engine management systems to the best they can to stay competitive, they have to "de tune" to a fair extent so that every Tom Dick and Harry can drive it without the engine exploding.

A true professional chip/engine tuner, will as stated spend a few days to get everything in harmony and make extra power available still within safe parameters.

But....... the problem comes in when every Tom Dick & Harry who has zero to little understanding of how engines work, and concepts like over fueling etc slaps in a chip and keeps on driving like the Tom, Dick & Harry they are.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

Chipping is basically remapping sliding scales, manipulating min and max top and bottom ends of certain functions.
    What I mean to say is, if you change one value, you are (directly or indirectly) affecting another variable, in many cases for bad.

The OEM already calculated safe and optimal operating margins and mapped your systems accordingly.
    Why overrule their expertise?

The only time I'd say go for a remap and\or a chip or whatever is when the car is out of warranty and you have money to play.
    Definitely do not do this to your regular overlander or daily commuter - you are looking for trouble. (Unless you can back it up!)
    Last edited by Rustie; 2018/04/17 at 12:43 PM.

well yes and no

once you start moving away from factory spec in any way, the map will be invalid (mmmm, that would hold true for all mods on all cars, whatever the state of tune, chipped or not. The magnitude of the "invalid" would be up for debate.)

- different tyres
    - different exhaust
    - snorkel
    - etc

you get my drift?

And I'm not even getting to things like EGR blanking which will screw completely with the AFR.
    I get your drift, but I still think it is a con.

That implies that you spend another day on the Dyno every time you make any small change, even if you change tyres. Quite valid for a track car, not so much a 4x4 or a daily driver.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast