Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6 heat seized engine opened - Page 6

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Re: 2.7 TDV 6 heat seized engine opened

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    sorry but this is a forum and I believe you are making a huge mistake

if you want no feedback, maybe write a blog?

As others have said, there are SO MANY problems with that quote nobody in their right mind would consider that workshop competent or reputable, and if MikeBob can't get a TDV6 rebuild to last, the chances of some Nelspruit backyard mechanic doing it is virtually ZERO.

" If engineering rebuild 11KParts 32 K"

total still to go is therefore supposedly R42k but I reckon that labour is way off and will inflate

R60k for a new sub and peace of mind. ASSUMING THEY CAN FIT IT WITHOUT BODGING THE JOB.
    Luckily this is a forum where we can share our mishaps, mistakes and fears

The quote is not what I want to do but solely to get an Idea of the cost going into rebuilding a 2.7 TDV 6
    and to see if a factory Remanufactured Sub is in line
    I have got "Millions of quotes" from excellent engineering works, proclaimed rebuilders and back yard shops..

I even got one for a TDV 6 short block for R 12 000-00...When asked if certain if it is a 2.7 TDV 6 I never heard of it again...

Rebuild is out of the equation.. certainly not with the quoted "engineering" shop and fitment definitely not (The vehicle is not with them they only got the engin)

There are quotes from 42 K to 58 K excluding Vat for a recon or Reman Long Block all on exchange (If core is not usable + 15K)

I will break the bank if I can get a New Sub (L/B) for 60 K inclusive....That is my original budget.. Give or take few bucks

Sheldon @ Acrotek (LR Spares) in Benoni Quoted new Sub R 79 000-00 excluding vat plus exchange unit ( same rule... core not usable + 15 K)
    This tally to R 105 850-00 o.o.p and exactly where I didn't wanted to be..... over valuating this vehicle..

Will I cut my losses and break for spares...Maybe ...

Will I have "piece of mind" fittin an new sub...Yes surely... until the crank snaps...!!!! wherever... whenever ??

Will I Marry this vehicle ...Definitely if it can give me the joy for 21 years like my 1997 Disco 1 300TDi gave me up to now..!
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ?

you can't and still keep all the fancy 4x4 stuff like ride height control, HDC, ACE, ASC, ABS
    Why not ..ABS sensors work from the wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
    I think one of the (other) reasons was that the front diff had to go as the sump on the Lexus didn't allow the space. So 4x2. And then removed transfer case and longer prop shaft.
    Build a rear bowl sump. Has been done on many different vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by LRTDV6 View Post
    Luckily this is a forum where we can share our mishaps, mistakes and fears

The quote is not what I want to do but solely to get an Idea of the cost going into rebuilding a 2.7 TDV 6
    and to see if a factory Remanufactured Sub is in line
    I have got "Millions of quotes" from excellent engineering works, proclaimed rebuilders and back yard shops..

I even got one for a TDV 6 short block for R 12 000-00...When asked if certain if it is a 2.7 TDV 6 I never heard of it again...

Rebuild is out of the equation.. certainly not with the quoted "engineering" shop and fitment definitely not (The vehicle is not with them they only got the engin)

There are quotes from 42 K to 58 K excluding Vat for a recon or Reman Long Block all on exchange (If core is not usable + 15K)

I will break the bank if I can get a New Sub (L/B) for 60 K inclusive....That is my original budget.. Give or take few bucks

Sheldon @ Acrotek (LR Spares) in Benoni Quoted new Sub R 79 000-00 excluding vat plus exchange unit ( same rule... core not usable + 15 K)
    This tally to R 105 850-00 o.o.p and exactly where I didn't wanted to be..... over valuating this vehicle..

Will I cut my losses and break for spares...Maybe ...

Will I have "piece of mind" fittin an new sub...Yes surely... until the crank snaps...!!!! wherever... whenever ??

Will I Marry this vehicle ...Definitely if it can give me the joy for 21 years like my 1997 Disco 1 300TDi gave me up to now..!
    Would love to get my hands on a Disco 3 TDV6 and do a Lexus conversion on it.
    I dont understand why this will be so difficult. As far as i could read up ...The engine have a Crank position sensor as well as a cam position sensor. Those two sensors are probably the most important of all the sensors to make everything work. And both those sensors basically work on "Tone wheels"
    These sensors influence how the Gearbox responds to the engine etc....
    So in theory and my own experience...If you can replicate the tone wheels pulses then everything inside should work like normal.
    Oil pressure sensor...Use the original one from the Landrover ..the same with the temperature sensor.
    I have done the same on my Jeep and everything works as it should. Had tone rings made and fitted and now all functions work like normal. Without them nothing worked. Used the original Jeep sensors ...So in effect i am running 2 ECU's in my vehicle. The standard jeep ECU with its sensors still working and getting pulses just like the original and then the Lexus ECU that runs the Lexus engine.

Why cant the Lexus motor not be mated to the 6HP26X gearbox from the Disco If the sensors deliver their signals to the ECU then the ecu will still talk to the original gearbox?

Even if you have to use the Lexus gearbox , you should be able to get any decent engineering company to build a transfer case adapter from the Lexus box to landrover Transfer case.

And before the purists crucify me...I seriously think that this can be a solution to a very nice vehicle with a very snappy crank
    Last edited by Sakkie7; 2018/05/16 at 04:15 PM.
    Sakkie van Staden
    Silver de Lange...NOW powered by a 4L VVTI V8 Defy motor
    Forum Rebuild thread
    Present
    2003 LUX Jeep powered by a defy motor
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD Diesel power....

Past
    Jeep 3.1 Wj..AKA Turbo Esel (RIP)

Man made it....Man Fix it.....

I'm going to use all my tools, my God-given ability, and make the best life I can with it.
    LeBron James

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakkie7 For This Useful Post:

comment removed
    Last edited by jelo; 2018/05/31 at 09:02 AM.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

And just as a matter of interest...How many of the LEXUS naysayers have actually owned a Lexus conversion vehicle?
    I have built mine myself...in my garage with the help of this very Forum. That engine has been going on for about 2 1/2 years and still no issues at all. No overheating nothing NADA NIKS.
    Sakkie van Staden
    Forum Rebuild thread
    Present

Past

I'm going to use all my tools, my God-given ability, and make the best life I can with it.
    LeBron James

That is one excellent article thank you.

Saved to favorites. Ironically I just so happen to have all the hardware, including the cables sitting in a bottom sulking.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

Jello...Ek is maar dom met die dieper Electronics...Weet darem hoe werk Cam en Crank sensors en wat hulle doel is.
    Ek is seker as daar n paar slim manne saamtrek sal hulle dit kan uitfiggure....

I just dont see why....Use the original sensors.
    Have an engineering firm cut your existing Crank pulley that it can act as a tone wheel. Mount sensor and bobs your uncle. This has been done for years already
    Sakkie van Staden
    Forum Rebuild thread
    Present

Past

LeBron James

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie7 View Post
    And just as a matter of interest...How many of the LEXUS naysayers have actually owned a Lexus conversion vehicle?
    I have built mine myself...in my garage with the help of this very Forum. That engine has been going on for about 2 1/2 years and still no issues at all. No overheating nothing NADA NIKS.
    I've towed more than any other vehicle, and that's absolutely no BS.

And abandoned Lexus conversions sitting in backyards or warehouses are more prolific than abandoned concrete yacht projects.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I've towed more than any other vehicle, and that's absolutely no BS.

And abandoned Lexus conversions sitting in backyards or warehouses are more prolific than abandoned concrete yacht projects.
    Those abandoned projects are 10 to one where people thought it would be a cheap exercise.
    IT IS NOT.
    When i tell people that my conversion costed 35k excluding any labour then they cant understand why it cost so much.
    My opinion is ...do it right first time round. If the engine or gearbox go then it is very cheap to replace the engine or gearbox.
    Sakkie van Staden
    Forum Rebuild thread
    Present

Past

LeBron James

comment removed
    Last edited by jelo; 2018/05/31 at 09:02 AM.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Build a rear bowl sump. Has been done on many different vehicles.
    or use a 2UZFE rear bowl sump from the 4.7 Cruiser (not easy to find). And if you don't need the 1UZFE hydraulic pump for the radiator fan you can replace it with the idler pulley also from the 2UZFE
    Last edited by Wilk; 2018/05/16 at 05:55 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wilk View Post
    or use a 2UZFE rear bowl sump from the 4.7 Cruiser (not easy to find). And if you don't need the 1UZFE hydraulic pump for the radiator fan you can replace it with the idler pulley also from the 2UZFE
    Those rear bowl sumps are rocking horse droppings.....
    Alternatives is available http://easexpress.co.za/product/2134/
    http://www.lexusv8conversions.co.za/...ar-engine-sump
    Sakkie van Staden
    Forum Rebuild thread
    Present

Past

LeBron James

if I had to do another conversion I would stick with a LS1 or LS2 love the LS1 in my Landy, you get front drop or back drop sumps
    Last edited by clivemd; 2018/05/16 at 07:47 PM.
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.003, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift

17. The Following User Says Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:

The bottom line is that you are paying someone else to do it and that is expensive. Like that instructables leads you to believe that is easy to play with can. In reality it is immensely time consuming, unless you have the can codes available. Guys that know the codes will charge plenty for that info. The programmers/obd tools we plug in already know those codes so it makes it look easy when doing diagnosis with a pc.

Instead of scrapping the vehicle and you do decide to do a conversion, it is only the start of the battle as simple things like electric windows are tied in to the system, gear shift points etc etc. It is easy to say convert to manual or arduino/pic but that still costs huge money for someone else to do. Its only viable if you diy. Removing the ecu may affect the abs etc etc

Look at what they charge just to do a rewire on a car - then tell them what vehicle it really is and you can see the cash registers in their eyes lighting up. This is not a win win situation, to design a complete wiring solution from scratch is very time consuming.

Engine conversions are the easy part and you can see how many people get it wrong.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HobieDave For This Useful Post:

Would love to get my hands on a Disco 3 TDV6 and do a Lexus conversion on it.
    I dont understand why this will be so difficult. As far as i could read up ...The engine have a Crank position sensor as well as a cam position sensor. Those two sensors are probably the most important of all the sensors to make everything work. And both those sensors basically work on "Tone wheels"
    These sensors influence how the Gearbox responds to the engine etc....
    So in theory and my own experience...If you can replicate the tone wheels pulses then everything inside should work like normal.
    Oil pressure sensor...Use the original one from the Landrover ..the same with the temperature sensor.
    I have done the same on my Jeep and everything works as it should. Had tone rings made and fitted and now all functions work like normal. Without them nothing worked. Used the original Jeep sensors ...So in effect i am running 2 ECU's in my vehicle. The standard jeep ECU with its sensors still working and getting pulses just like the original and then the Lexus ECU that runs the Lexus engine.

Why cant the Lexus motor not be mated to the 6HP26X gearbox from the Disco If the sensors deliver their signals to the ECU then the ecu will still talk to the original gearbox?

Even if you have to use the Lexus gearbox , you should be able to get any decent engineering company to build a transfer case adapter from the Lexus box to landrover Transfer case.

And before the purists crucify me...I seriously think that this can be a solution to a very nice vehicle with a very snappy crank
    Sakkie

Thank you....Yes, totally believe it can be done and surely not cheap but not as expensive....the moment you mention Land Rover if you buy something simple like fuel line it doubles in price p/m

In the beginning of Lexus conversions there was just not enough knowledge and information but go getters like you packed the bull by the horns and perfected it

If the 4 x 4 system can be sorted it will be perfect...I need the 4 x 4 feature ...I am a Ski boat, Jet ski and Kayak angler, and need to launch these vessels ...

I got my Mahindra Scorpio as daily runner..

I Just need a bit more time to reach a final decision...and if I can not get over, around or through this wall I will make this D3 available for you to do a Perfect Lexus conversion....(Pity we are about 2500 km apart)
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ?

Those rear bowl sumps are rocking horse droppings.....
    Alternatives is available http://easexpress.co.za/product/2134/
    http://www.lexusv8conversions.co.za/...ar-engine-sump
    Sakkie, I looked at those. For cosmetic looks I went for a 2UZFE sump.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1089e.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	489021   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0290e.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	489022  

Plse contact Dan at Roverland in Cape Town. He has built a Lexus V8 into his D3 that broke a crank. I have driven the vehicle. I was impressed. He had it set up as rear wheel drive only but was in the process of sorting out the transfer box.

Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual (Loaded)
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    'One life-Make a difference"

Quote Originally Posted by Wilk View Post
    Sakkie, I looked at those. For cosmetic looks I went for a 2UZFE sump.
    Only when you drive a Landy..do you have to everyday lie underneath it to check for oil leaks. With a Lexus you dont worry about it...
    Sakkie van Staden
    Forum Rebuild thread
    Present

Past

LeBron James

Quote Originally Posted by LRTDV6 View Post
    Sakkie

Thank you....Yes, totally believe it can be done and surely not cheap but not as expensive....the moment you mention Land Rover if you buy something simple like fuel line it doubles in price p/m

In the beginning of Lexus conversions there was just not enough knowledge and information but go getters like you packed the bull by the horns and perfected it

If the 4 x 4 system can be sorted it will be perfect...I need the 4 x 4 feature ...I am a Ski boat, Jet ski and Kayak angler, and need to launch these vessels ...

I got my Mahindra Scorpio as daily runner..

I Just need a bit more time to reach a final decision...and if I can not get over, around or through this wall I will make this D3 available for you to do a Perfect Lexus conversion....(Pity we are about 2500 km apart)
    4x4 system is probably one of the easiest things to do on that vehicles. Transfer case adapter mated to the lexus box and of you go. That will cost you about R7500 for the adapter made with proper cnc tooling. Alternative is belhousing adapter to original gearbox.

As to terrain response etc...Will it work with a conversion?? Dont know. But that is a bridge to cross when you get there. Will it still be a proper 4x4 with lowrange...Absolutely.
    I would rather have a driving D3 with a Lexus motor than one that stands or get sold to a scrapyard for peanuts.
    Sakkie van Staden
    Forum Rebuild thread
    Present

Past

LeBron James

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sakkie7 For This Useful Post:

LR........

1) I am reading the Thread now, lots of very interesting posts in here. I have NO mechanical know how, but still interesting to read about it.

2) I'm a huge LR fan, has always been. But only Series and Defenders are real LR's to me, Disco 1 and 2 to a lesser extent, and also the classis RR V8's. The other offerings like Freelander and Disco 3/4/5 and various 20' rimmed Range Rovers are just market-driven SUV's ...... hugely popular yes, but so are Castle Lager, Crocs, Spur Steak Ranches and Peter Stuyvesants. My opinion.

3) From what I can gather (correct me if necessary) - you paid R 40 000 for this 2006 D3S, which sounds like, and I still think is, little money for tjis type of vehicle, and I have also read somewhere that the mileage is VERY low (137000??), so the body/imterior/diffs/gearbos/etc etc should also be great.
    I'm sure you made an estimate what it would cost you to get it running again, in as reliable a state as a 2006 TDV6S can be. I'm sure you had a worst case and best case figure in your head......say, R 40 000 best case, and R 70000 worst case?
    Meaning, you take the chance, buy the non runner, and it will cost you, running, between (40+40) - R 80000, or worst case (40+70)= R 110 000.

4) So......I'd safely assume that ALL would agree that R 40 000 for a D3TDV6S with low mileage is a very very tempting buy.

BUT..........

Your Unit Cost is now double. You paid R 40000, and (if I read correcty) you already spent around R 20 000 on it (would have been more but the injectors are fine).

Cost is now R 60000??

From the Thread posts, I make the assumption that you are in for around R 100 000 for a new sub assembly, and then you still need to put it in gear and hope there are not any more surprises......Aircon, all ABS etc etc etc working, suspension, and a zillion other things.
    What I'm trying to say is you havent test driven the vehicle for 1 metre yet.

So, you're looking at R 160 000 for this TDV6, before test driving it.

If I offered you a 2006 TDV6 with a new sub at R 160000, but you cannot test drive it.......would you buy it??

Another thing is time and effort from your side, sorting this out. making calls, a part is missing here, the mechanic forgot about that there, etc etc.

My advise, and I can be totally totally wrong here.......Flog that D3 for R 40 000 or R 50000 again, take that 10 or 20k knock, take that R 100k that tou would have spend on an engine, and buy something nice and running for (40000 Cost + 20000 Spent - 20000 Loss) + R 100 000 = R 140000.

Did'nt want to sound slim or funny here, and of course you do what you think is right.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

You can buy a running D3 TDV6 for that money
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppies3800 For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast