Advice on Cederberg road from Wuppertal to Op die Berg

Default Advice on Cederberg road from Wuppertal to Op die Berg

Planning a trip around the Cederberg and want to try the east side for a change rather than the 'Algeria/Sandrif' road. Thinking of going round the top from Pakhuis Pass to Wuppertal and on to Op Die Berg and into Kagga Kamma.
    What is the road like from Wuppertal down to Matjies Rivier? Looks interesting!
    Anyone done this recently?

Default Re: Advice on Cederberg road from Wuppertal to Op die Berg

Really a nice part of the Cederberg and an easy drive for any high clearance vehicle. Enjoy it.
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM
    HAMNET
    2018 Toyota 2.4 GD6 SRX D/C 4x4 auto
    Land Rover Defender 110 Puma - sold
    Metalian Mini

Think I may have a run through there in the next couple of months
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

The steep climb from Wuppertal has been concreted, so traction should not be a problem.

The top can be sandy.....but not too bad. Worse if one is on a bike.

High clearance vehicle is required however 4x4 not essential.

We did the trip through the Cederberg with brother Piet in his Evogue .. the ground clearance is not that great, just sufficient.

Pic, the steep road on the right is the one from Wupperthal, bottom left, past Eselbank and further south.

If you have time .. we very much enjoyed a trip on the Heuningvlei road.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

My beste kennis is diť oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150.
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

I live in the area. Its a beautifull area. Worth the drive. Do not expect tar road conditions at all. The locals even do it in a car. Its a slow drive.

Peter you don't say what you're driving, when you're doing the trip, where you're coming from or where you're off to after Kagga Kamma. Pakhuis pass, Wuppertal, Eselbank, Kagga Kamma is quite interesting but it seems like you've done the second half of this route previously. imho Pakhuis pass, Old postal route, Elandsvlei, De Mond, Padstal, Peerbooms pass and turn right into Kagga Kamma would be way more interesting. Read up on the Englishman's grave and formation of the Cape fold mountains beforehand to give you some additional insight. Apart from the amazing large block rock formations around the northern end of the Cederberg (which you will also see going via Wuppertal), you'll also see the massive canyon cut by the Doring river (won't see going via Wuppertal).

Quote Originally Posted by StorminH View Post
    Peter you don't say what you're driving, when you're doing the trip, where you're coming from or where you're off to after Kagga Kamma. Pakhuis pass, Wuppertal, Eselbank, Kagga Kamma is quite interesting but it seems like you've done the second half of this route previously. imho Pakhuis pass, Old postal route, Elandsvlei, De Mond, Padstal, Peerbooms pass and turn right into Kagga Kamma would be way more interesting. Read up on the Englishman's grave and formation of the Cape fold mountains beforehand to give you some additional insight. Apart from the amazing large block rock formations around the northern end of the Cederberg (which you will also see going via Wuppertal), you'll also see the massive canyon cut by the Doring river (won't see going via Wuppertal).
    Also visit louis leipoldt grave site. Very interesting where he was buried.
    O▮▮▮▮▮O

First time we did this i saw the sign saying Jeep track 4x4 required and thought it must be pretty hectic, we were driving slowly taking our time and enjoying the sights, then a beat up old Ford Sierra pooped up in my rear view mirror. Was a bit of a shock

You basically just need good ground clearance, but i wouldnt do it in anything with low profile tyres as there are one or two places with a few rocks. I have done it in a 4x4 and 4x2.

There was a fire through there last year so unfortunately a lot of the stunning scenery is now burnt, but its still worth it. Its picturesque, especially when driving through the small village (Town?) of Eselbank.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160503-WA0016.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	487275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20160503-WA0124.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	487276

There is also a nice 4x4 Trail close to Wuppertal, Mertenhof Biedouw 4x4. If heading from Wuppertal to Pakhuis Pass its on the left, opposite a sign for Enjo Nature Farm.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Walnut; 2018/05/02 at 11:24 AM.

We do an annual "fietstoer" along this route in June. The Wuppertal pass going out of Wuppertal to Eselbank is the trickiest part, but we have always done this with a 4x2 Hilux/Ranger (1st and 2nd gear) with no real issues. Even the sand at the top is no problem (unless you are on a bike).