Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Echo Trailer Tent Awnings - Rain???

Echo 4x4 have been manufacturing trailer tents for almost 20 years and they're still struggling draining the rain water from the tent awnings. I have a Echo 5 with the MK3 tent with the U-shape awnings. I'm getting a bit gatvol for this tent awnings when it starts raining and the awning collecting the water like buckets. Do you guys have any suggestions or modifications that can be done to prevent the water from collecting on awnings? I never had this issues with my Tentco Senior Trailer tent.

Default Re: Echo Trailer Tent Awnings - Rain???

We modified our Echo 4 to a Bushlapa caravan to solve the Echo awning problems 8)
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    We modified our Echo 4 to a Bushlapa caravan to solve the Echo awning problems 8)
    made me smile lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    made me smile lol
    Sorry, I know it was a completely inappropriate reply, seems my sense of humor is running away with me this Friday.

OP: what I meant to say was that I hope you find a solution. We could not find something that worked for us. Great trailer and we loved it, but we just did not get along with the Echo tent. We changed it to a Tentco Snr later which was better.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2018/04/13 at 08:38 AM.
    Christa

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    We changed it to a Tentco Snr later which was better.
    I am interested to find out more please lekhubu? (As I am also on the brink to 'alter' my Echo4's tent setup )
    Fit, size, easy of setting up etc. (In comparison with std)

Pieter, obviously the Tentco did not fit 100%. We added a Frontrunner roof rack on top of the trailer to get the tent the correct height off the ground, I think it is something like 1.2 or 1.3 m. Otherwise it will not hang down straight. We also had to mount it a little bit more to the one side than the other to accommodate the opening of the doors where the clothing drawers is. It was tricky to get right, but at the end it was not too bad.

We did not take all the awnings of the Tentco (by that time we were seriously allergic to large awnings and the multitude accompanying poles and pegs). Only the small one over the kitchen. But then we realized that we don't really have shelter from rain and cold. That brought us to a gazebo which only worked two or three times and we were fed up with all the extra set up. And that ended our relationship with our Echo and the rest is history.
    Christa

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the info lekhubu!

What is the problem ? When it rains I drop the awning poles , i.e pull them inwards , tighten the anchor ropes and continue with my beer . Been watching a few big storms passing buy sitting under that awning .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pierreo For This Useful Post:

I do the same, but I found the velcro does leak a bit after 12y (minor irritation)

As I have the mk 1 tent, the inside space is quite small. I am also considering my options as the kids are moving out - soon it will be only my wife and myself to handle the tent and due to health reasons it is very difficult for her to assist.

(I must say, I am still quite surprised at the 'storm resistance' of the setup
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2018/04/13 at 09:41 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PieterOos For This Useful Post:

The Echo awnings cannot accommodate the rain. The only solution is to change to a conventional awning system with a gable end. Trailer unit is a winner.

We replaced our Echo 4's awning a few years ago with one made from canvas.

@hbannik on the forum did it.

On my older model echo chobe I put a holdon clamp between 2 awning poles put a rope through the holdon clamp and tighten to ground. It creates a gutter for water to run down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210616_212046_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	619073

Cool Re: Echo Trailer Tent Awnings - Rain???

Quote Originally Posted by Serf View Post
    We replaced our Echo 4's awning a few years ago with one made from canvas.

@hbannik on the forum did it.
    I have mine being done at the moment.(In Durban) I am also replacing the attachment of the awnings to the main tent to zips. This includes the side walls. I have also split the side walls into sections for easier handling and flexibility when required. Looking forward to the new setup.

Lower your poles so there is a tight slope as the storm approaches..and then have someone at intervals push up on the awning to get the pools of water build up off the awning. It happens with all awnings in my observation at communal campsites ..Huge splashes of water around the campsites . Even the Bushlapa has that problem >> well all my mates have that problem any way on their Boskrieks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camping Mad South Africa.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	619090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mini Dinogeng C.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	730.2 KB 
ID:	619091On our Everest we could never have a pure canvas tent as you would never be able to close the PVC travel cover. The awning comes attached to the tent and all sidewalls are Heavy Velcro to attach >> Very neat and Much cooler than canvas which retains water big time
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2021/06/17 at 07:29 AM.

Wink Re: Echo Trailer Tent Awnings - Rain???

I have the same issue with our Echo 5. With the last storm we camped in we had the nylon ropes losing grip on that shitty plastic clips. Resolution, replaced all the ropes with Tie-down straps. To address the water issue on the awnings. Get telescopic poles and drop the corners lower than the inside ones(progressively). If problem still persist, use another pole with a towel wrapped around the tip and stick in under awning that still have a bush shower. Remove pole when rain stops.

Did the cost exercise and found this to be way cheaper than replacing the tent.

Convert your poles to be adjustable/telescopic as low as possible ( so called aussie clamps). Use only large pegs. I fix the ropes permanently to the tent, not just hooking over the pole tip. Adjust each pole height to ensure runoff.

Rivet the awnings at the main tent corners and do not rely on the velcro alone to hold all together

Also have 2 ropes and pegs per pole. On the corners I have 3 ! Obviously only pegging down numbers with expected weather in mind.

We have survived some serious storms while many around us were in tatters

(I have the old 2007 tent, the heavy strong one - happy with it)
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/06/17 at 06:58 PM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 126 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 125 000 km

[QUOTE=Dungbeetle;4663418]Convert your poles to be adjustable/telescopic as low as possible ( so called aussie clamps). Use only large pegs. I fix the ropes permanently to the tent, not just hooking over the pole tip. Adjust each pole height to ensure runoff.

Rivet the awnings at the main tent corners and do not rely on the velcro alone to hold all together

Also have 2 ropes and pegs per pole. On the corners I have 3 ! Obviously only pegging down numbers with expected weather in mind.

We have survived some serious storms while many around us were in tatters

(I have the old 2007 tent, the heavy strong one - happy with it)[/QUOTE

I have the 2020 Echo 5 with the MK4 tent/ awnings. I have tried all the various options. The only option that works is dropping the corner poles lower down. This is not an option when we need to use the side walls. We do the drakensberg for 3 weeks in December. We can have 4 seasons in one day with hectic rain. Hence the trade off to convert the awnings to a a system that is tried and tested that I know will work. It was either convert existing or return back to a conventional caravan.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Madefromwater For This Useful Post:

I have the 2020 Echo 5 with the MK4 tent/ awnings. I have tried all the various options. The only option that works is dropping the corner poles lower down. This is not an option when we need to use the side walls. We do the drakensberg for 3 weeks in December. We can have 4 seasons in one day with hectic rain. Hence the trade off to convert the awnings to a a system that is tried and tested that I know will work. It was either convert existing or return back to a conventional caravan.[/QUOTE]

Try keeping the corner poles high and dropping the intermediates for runoff....alternating high low per pole. Works for me....at least that shapes the side walls properly. We camped at Golden Gate in December like this and had 6 days of rain, probably in excess of 30mm per day, no issue
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/06/17 at 07:48 PM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 126 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 125 000 km

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast