Discovery 4 5.0L V8 problem - Page 8





Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Results 141 to 147 of 147

Thread: 5.0L V8 problem

  1. #141
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    krugersdorp
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,980
    Thanked: 535

    Default Re: 5.0L V8 problem

    the v8 never changed, only the year it was registered, so a 2010 is the same as a 2015.
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Forest Hills, KZN
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,187
    Thanked: 798

    Default Re: 5.0L V8 problem

    Quote Originally Posted by peter bee View Post
    the v8 never changed, only the year it was registered, so a 2010 is the same as a 2015.
    Not quite. The 2nd half of 2020 manufactured have the newly designed tensioner chain and there are also one or 2 other technical changes.

    Aesthetically, the same. No facelift models either.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - mods list to be updated [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:


  4. #143
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,114
    Thanked: 499

    Default Re: 5.0L V8 problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Handy View Post
    Looks like my 2010 D4 with 164 000km on the clock has suffered the same fate, guide and tensioner problem... Have been quoted R84 000 for repair . This after my D3 TDV6 had crank failure a few years ago...

    I specifically looked for and bought the V8 as I was under the impression that it was allot more reliable.... Guess not.

    Apparently this problem only effects the 2010, 2011, 2012 V8's.
    are you going to repair the vehicle?

  5. #144
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Randparkridge
    Age
    43
    Posts
    267
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: 5.0L V8 problem

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBob View Post
    are you going to repair the vehicle?
    Hi Mike,

    I haven't decided yet...at R85 000 I won't fix it... Will just try get out of her like I did with my D3 with the snapped crank. I took a bath of R80 000 on that.

    I still owe owe about R100 000 on finance on the D4 V8. Maybe someone will want to buy her and pay for the repair.

    I have to run the numbers....would need a deposit for another vehicle.
    Pass me another beer 8)

    2010 Discover 4 V8 HSE
    2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S (seized at 231 212km) sold for scrap

  6. #145
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    278
    Thanked: 157

    Default Re: 5.0L V8 problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Handy View Post
    Hi Mike,

    I haven't decided yet...at R85 000 I won't fix it... Will just try get out of her like I did with my D3 with the snapped crank. I took a bath of R80 000 on that.

    I still owe owe about R100 000 on finance on the D4 V8. Maybe someone will want to buy her and pay for the repair.

    I have to run the numbers....would need a deposit for another vehicle.
    Hi Greg Handy

    This may be Pvt, if so, ignore my reply, but I am interested in the numbers here. What is the trade and retail of the D4? Is the quote for 85k the best you can get? What is the value of the D4 as is?

    I went through the same process on my D2 last year with a full box rebuild at 40k, when the truck is only worth about 60k. I made the call to invest in the repair as to replace the truck with an equivalent would be a lot more than 40k. I have to admit though, that if the motor blew now and I had to do a full rebuild at 80k, I would probably scrap, as she is a 1999 model. Is your truck not worth repairing and keeping? If it wasn't for the V8 fuel consumption as a daily, there would have been one in my driveway yesterday!

    Good luck with your decision.

    Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual (Loaded)
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    'One life-Make a difference"

  7. #146
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Randparkridge
    Age
    43
    Posts
    267
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: 5.0L V8 problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Darron View Post
    Hi Greg Handy

    This may be Pvt, if so, ignore my reply, but I am interested in the numbers here. What is the trade and retail of the D4? Is the quote for 85k the best you can get? What is the value of the D4 as is?

    I went through the same process on my D2 last year with a full box rebuild at 40k, when the truck is only worth about 60k. I made the call to invest in the repair as to replace the truck with an equivalent would be a lot more than 40k. I have to admit though, that if the motor blew now and I had to do a full rebuild at 80k, I would probably scrap, as she is a 1999 model. Is your truck not worth repairing and keeping? If it wasn't for the V8 fuel consumption as a daily, there would have been one in my driveway yesterday!

    Good luck with your decision.
    Hey,

    Thanks for the reply. Trade is R264 000, Retail is R314 000.

    With that said, actual prices on these vary significantly, you can get one on we buy cars with 155 000km for R198 000, or there is one in Gezina with 265 000km for R240 000.... Go figure. I even came across one in Durban that has just had the timing chain, guides,tensioners done, that one is going for R240 000, but was a 2011 model.

    I have a friend that works in the car trade, I can get a cover of R170 000 as is.Then it goes to trade and pop up in some dealership somewhere,probably sold with an aftermarket warrantee.Dealer has to deal with CPA, if anything goes wrong, yet insurances can cover these sort of things...

    Cars are bottomless pits in my opinion.Even if I get R170 000, square up the bank, I have R70 000 deposit for another car. So I have lost R186 000 over the last 3 years....sitting here laughing while I type this actually.

    I suppose it's a question of what it costs me in total ownership....the pleasures of driving her around with family and the many happy smiles, etc...vs the cost per km for that. I think I could get better value elsewhere than in a car.

    Cheers

    Greg
    Pass me another beer 8)

    2010 Discover 4 V8 HSE
    2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S (seized at 231 212km) sold for scrap

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Handy For This Useful Post:


  9. #147
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Forest Hills, KZN
    Age
    41
    Posts
    3,187
    Thanked: 798

    Default Re: 5.0L V8 problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Darron View Post
    If it wasn't for the V8 fuel consumption as a daily, there would have been one in my driveway yesterday!
    Petrol is cheap. Mine is 99% going up for sale in the coming month or so (lockdown dependant). Unless the Mrs can start a new job soon.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - mods list to be updated [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •