How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

Quote Originally Posted by Skallywag View Post
    The problem is that the lower control arm is at a angle, so the jack slides off,
    My friend made each of us a cap that goes over the top of the jack with a pin that goes through a hole in the arm(see photo) this works perfectly on his Hilux,
    But the Fortuner is a 2007 and has 16 inch rims and bigger side walls on the tire, so the jack cant fit under it.
    As you can see in the photo the tire is deflated but the rim is still well off the ground
    I know I can lug a piece of plank around and drive the wheel onto it, But if possible I would prefer not to do that
    it would be useful if you actually used the lowest point on the control arm

and why not weld a cup onto the saddle of the bottle jack ?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Ela Diablo: Land Rover S2A 109 PUP: SOLD

I also do not like to put a high lift jack on the outside of the vehicle.
    Parts rust and then it gives you grief when you need to use it.
    Here is my solution
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180411_143450.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	484830
    Hilux 2700i 4x4 D/C

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WayneB For This Useful Post:

Hi all, I recently had to change a front on my VX 200. The bottle shaped screw jack is pathetic. It lifts the chassis member just by the front door hinge. Getting the wheel off was simple, but exhausting as the screw ratio is so low the lift rate is very poor. Putting the spare on was far from easy as the jack, on hard ground, is at the max height and I had to scape some dirt to fit the tyre. The VX is not lifted and fitted with standard tyres.
    had I been anywhere other than hard ground I would not have been able to change the tyre.
    basically the jack as supplied is useless. Looking at alternatives, but not a high lift type.

I think that changing a flat tyre should be a compulsory part of the drivers licence test.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    I think that changing a flat tyre should be a compulsory part of the drivers licence test.
    Chris, I think most of us know how to change a tyre, The problem is that the jack that Toyota supply is not up to the job, unless one is on a perfectly flat piece of ground. and even then its pushing the boundaries.

Thanks to all for your help and advice, I have decided to try find a bottle jack which will not only be lower when retracted, but give a higher lift when extended.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahja77 View Post
    Hi all, I recently had to change a front on my VX 200. The bottle shaped screw jack is pathetic. It lifts the chassis member just by the front door hinge. Getting the wheel off was simple, but exhausting as the screw ratio is so low the lift rate is very poor. Putting the spare on was far from easy as the jack, on hard ground, is at the max height and I had to scape some dirt to fit the tyre. The VX is not lifted and fitted with standard tyres.
    had I been anywhere other than hard ground I would not have been able to change the tyre.
    basically the jack as supplied is useless. Looking at alternatives, but not a high lift type.
    Had the exact same problem last week sunday with my cruiser, i need a better solution as well !

Not aimed at anyone is specific.

Personally I have never found a Toyota supplied jack to not be up to the job, if they are used as intended for they work great.

I would suggest that one gets to know your equipment and how it works when driving that specific vehicle. Do a wheel change or two at home on a level hard service and get use to the tools before you are stuck next to the road. (Teach your kids to do it)

Jacking up a vehicle that has a suspension lift or not will be the same thing when jacking from the control arm or diff, should't be any different.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

I carry three jacks - standard Land Rover worm drive jack (slots into the holes on the front and rear bumpers) which I use for wheel changing on flat surfaces, like hard tar; hydraulic bottle jack which I use for wheel changing on difficult surfaces (jack onto the axle); and a Hi-lift jack which is only ever used for vehicle recovery and NEVER for wheel changing - it is a bloody dangerous piece of kit, even in experienced hands.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2018/04/16 at 02:07 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Blokkie hout

Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    LC76V8

Personally I have never found a Toyota supplied jack to not be up to the job, if they are used as intended for they work great.

I would suggest that one gets to know your equipment and how it works when driving that specific vehicle. Do a wheel change or two at home on a level hard service and get use to the tools before you are stuck next to the road. (Teach your kids to do it)

Jacking up a vehicle that has a suspension lift or not will be the same thing when jacking from the control arm or diff, should't be any different.
    Not saying you aimed it at me, let me just add to my story. The flat came and i had to stop, it was not level and it did not work.
    Had to drive to a flat surface in order to get it to work, well there is the problem , a 4x4 vehicle that comes with a jack that needs a flat surface to lift the car, my opinion sticks - Toyota jacks are crap .

We can not all choose where we want flat tyres!

Saw a chap with same issue once and his jack would not fit under the vehicle.

Solution, take a few rocks and drive with the flat wheel on top.
    Place the jack and you can do it.

My son had same issue in KNP when the right rear went.
    The ramp that we use to level the 4x4 trailer/caravaan with works fine as a lift.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

The problem is that Toyota, say one should place the jack under the cross member, just behind the front wheel, If you do this with raised suspension you don,t even get near to lifting the wheel of the ground, and one cant put it under the lower control arm if the tyre is flat as it wont fit.
    I understand this is not Toyota's problem, they only have to supply a jack for one that is standard.
    But 50mm is not a lot, and a manufacture of a 4x4 should expect that it will be driven on rough roads, tracks or soft sand, and a difference of 50mm in height from the wheel to the cross member is quite possible.

Also remember that one cant put the jack under the control arm with out making a adaption, it will simply slide off.
    There are also times when one cant find a flat rock or whatever to put under the jack. and if you drive the wheel onto a rock/spare wheel I doubt that the jack will work on the cross member, it will be to short

My bottle jack still lifts my bakkie.

It isn't standard or on original wheels.

Now I understand when women complain men always lie about that 50mm extra he has🤣
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Red face Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

Midas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180417_101749.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	485530

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2