How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Morgan Bay
    Age
    72
    Posts
    221
    Thanked: 45

    Default How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    I dont know if I am just stupid or not,

    but some time back while camping at Etosha Pan.
    I woke up one morning to find I had a flat front tyre on my 2007 Fortuner, (it is raised by 50mm)

    No problem I thought, this wont take long to sort it out. Well to cut a long story short, about two hours later after trying my jack, my friends jack, another guys jack, a Jack from a truck, The owner of the camping grounds eventually fetched a trolley jack, and I was able to swap the wheel,

    Now my friend who drives a Hilux also raised by 50mm has just had the same problem,

    I know one could used a Hi lift jack, but I don't like them, and also don't want to drive around with one permanently attached to the roof rack of my car.

    I see plenty Fortuner's and Hilux's driving around with a raised suspension and not carrying a hi lift jack.
    How do change there front wheel?

    Can anyone please help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    swakopmund
    Age
    47
    Posts
    4,573
    Thanked: 1310

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    Lift to max. Put stones or sparewheel under lowest point. Put stones or wood under jack. Start lifting again. Repeat if necc

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,728
    Thanked: 182

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    You get bottle jacks in various sizes and bottle jacks are fairly priced.

    Just remember, the bottle jack must be SMALL enough to still fit when the tyre is flat.

    I would look into getting a foldable axle stand as well. Hydraulic jacks have a habit of failing catastrophically!
    Make yourself a baseplate as well. Most jacks do not work well on soft ground.

    PS My Isuzu came with a mechanical bottle as standard.
    Last edited by RogueFrontier; 2018/04/10 at 04:29 PM.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Noordhoek, Cape Town
    Age
    60
    Posts
    6,994
    Thanked: 2450

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    Scissor jack with a 50mm thick piece of plank bolted to it. ??

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Stoffel For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Klipriver
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,001
    Thanked: 231

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    Quote Originally Posted by RogueFrontier View Post
    You get bottle jacks in various sizes and bottle jacks are fairly priced.

    Just remember, the bottle jack must be SMALL enough to still fit when the tyre is flat.

    I would look into getting a foldable axle stand as well. Hydraulic jacks have a habit of failing catastrophically!
    Make yourself a baseplate as well. Most jacks do not work well on soft ground.

    PS My Isuzu came with a mechanical bottle as standard.

    Not wanting to pick an argument/ fight, but I have never had a bottle jack fail on me. And we have used them extensively on trucks, cranes, and cars. Every vehicle that I have owned has had the original jack replaced with a bottle jack
    Alan


    _________________
    Range Rover P38

    Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to All -in -one For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    528
    Thanked: 219

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airbag.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	484725Airbag Jack

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AirJack7.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	484726
    Last edited by Snyks; 2018/04/10 at 04:53 PM.
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    34,997
    Thanked: 10090

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    One assumes one was jacking up the FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM and not the BODY.................
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    58
    Posts
    15,807
    Thanked: 2069

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    With a trestle, a hilift and a wheel buddy.

    When you are done, just drive off the trestle.

    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanked: 1183

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    Quote Originally Posted by All -in -one View Post
    Not wanting to pick an argument/ fight, but I have never had a bottle jack fail on me. And we have used them extensively on trucks, cranes, and cars. Every vehicle that I have owned has had the original jack replaced with a bottle jack
    Me too.. wonderful tool a bottle jack. And a block of wood
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2018/04/10 at 05:38 PM.
    _______________________________________

    Dum vivimus, vivamus!

    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    a five cylinder bakkie

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,688
    Thanked: 1183

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    With a trestle, a hilift and a wheel buddy.

    When you are done, just drive off the trestle.

    So you un-jack it after trestle?
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2018/04/10 at 05:37 PM.
    _______________________________________

    Dum vivimus, vivamus!

    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    a five cylinder bakkie

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,728
    Thanked: 182

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    Quote Originally Posted by All -in -one View Post
    Not wanting to pick an argument/ fight, but I have never had a bottle jack fail on me. And we have used them extensively on trucks, cranes, and cars. Every vehicle that I have owned has had the original jack replaced with a bottle jack
    Neither have I, but it does happen that a seal pops. Personally, I would rather spend a few bucks more than risk life and limb.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

  15. #12
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Morgan Bay
    Age
    72
    Posts
    221
    Thanked: 45

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    Thanks guy's for all your ideas,
    It has given me lots of food for thought

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    49
    Posts
    7,072
    Thanked: 985

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    One assumes one was jacking up the FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM and not the BODY.................
    That's how I always did it on the D3 with it's ?intelligent? suspension...
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wartburg.
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,846
    Thanked: 491

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    Quote Originally Posted by RogueFrontier View Post
    Neither have I, but it does happen that a seal pops. Personally, I would rather spend a few bucks more than risk life and limb.
    Also not picking an argument, but you say spend a few bucks more.
    What jack is better than a bottle jack?

    I'm asking because it's the most common jack used on the farm, bottle jacks and trolley jacks, basically the same thing, hydraulic jacks

    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town, Plumstead/The Sea/Franskraal
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,329
    Thanked: 446

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    Did you try to pump the tyre up?
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 220 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to ZuluCowboy For This Useful Post:


  20. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    54
    Posts
    188
    Thanked: 94

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    Quote Originally Posted by Skallywag View Post
    I dont know if I am just stupid or not,

    but some time back while camping at Etosha Pan.
    I woke up one morning to find I had a flat front tyre on my 2007 Fortuner, (it is raised by 50mm)

    No problem I thought, this wont take long to sort it out. Well to cut a long story short, about two hours later after trying my jack, my friends jack, another guys jack, a Jack from a truck, The owner of the camping grounds eventually fetched a trolley jack, and I was able to swap the wheel,

    Now my friend who drives a Hilux also raised by 50mm has just had the same problem,

    I know one could used a Hi lift jack, but I don't like them, and also don't want to drive around with one permanently attached to the roof rack of my car.

    I see plenty Fortuner's and Hilux's driving around with a raised suspension and not carrying a hi lift jack.
    How do change there front wheel?

    Can anyone please help.
    You basically get two types of bottle jacks. Mechanical bottle jack (like in Hilux and Isuzu) and hydrolic bottle jack.

    I do not like the hydrolic bottle jacks as they have failed me in the past.

    I carry a spade and 20 empty sandbags in my Hilux at all times and one use for this simple but very useful recovery equipment is to put it under the bottle jack if it tend to be a little to short for a lifted suspension.

    Sandbags are cheap, weighs next to nothing and take up very little space in the vehicle. And don't worry, there will be sand gravel or mud when you need to fill the bag. And it will not easaly sink into sand or mud. A life saver if you do not have rocks or bushes at hand like in the middle of a dune field or a pan.

    It is a very versatile peace of equipment in any 4x4 and can be used for many many purposes. And you can re-use them.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2018/04/10 at 06:35 PM.

  21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Viertrek For This Useful Post:


  22. #17
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Morgan Bay
    Age
    72
    Posts
    221
    Thanked: 45

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    One assumes one was jacking up the FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM and not the BODY.................
    The problem is that the lower control arm is at a angle, so the jack slides off,
    My friend made each of us a cap that goes over the top of the jack with a pin that goes through a hole in the arm(see photo) this works perfectly on his Hilux,
    But the Fortuner is a 2007 and has 16 inch rims and bigger side walls on the tire, so the jack cant fit under it.
    As you can see in the photo the tire is deflated but the rim is still well off the ground
    I know I can lug a piece of plank around and drive the wheel onto it, But if possible I would prefer not to do that
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  23. #18
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    East London
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,153
    Thanked: 2762

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    Quote Originally Posted by Skallywag View Post
    But the Fortuner is a 2007 and has 16 inch rims and bigger side walls on the tire, so the jack cant fit under it.
    As you can see in the photo the tire is deflated but the rim is still well off the ground
    I know I can lug a piece of plank around and drive the wheel onto it, But if possible I would prefer not to do that
    Lay the spare in front of the flat wheel.
    Drive carefully onto it with the flat wheel.
    The flat wheel's suspension will now probably be a bit higher than that of a inflated wheel.

    That's how you get a jack under a caravan's axle as well.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

    2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:


  25. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wartburg
    Age
    59
    Posts
    1,351
    Thanked: 1109

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    My situation has an overlap with this topic: My 255/100R x 16 tyres are high profile. A puncture basically drops the vehicle/axle by 255mm. So a low profile 2 stage hydraulic jack is supplied with the truck. This works fine on normal surfaces, but can force you to make a plan by jacking in stages using rocks etc.

    I bought a second 2 stage jack from Midas. This makes jacking up easy using both in stages to get the required height for fitting the replacement


  26. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East London
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16,975
    Thanked: 2321

    Default Re: How does one change a front wheel on a raised Fortuner/Hilux

    Have a cup welded onto lower control arm. Long reach bottle jacks. Midas sells them. Simple.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •